Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving for many hours this week....audio book/podcast recommendations?

I just finished "Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin" on Audiobook. I would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.F.S. View Post
    I just finished "Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin" on Audiobook. I would highly recommend it.
    I read it this book when it first came out...good book I agree.

I am more into history for road trips. Hearing people's opinions on the US revolution and constitution is always good. Pro 2A is good.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.F.S. View Post
    I thank LittleLebowski for getting me hooked on the Jocko Podcast. I really like listening to him and Echo "get after it."
    http://jockopodcast2.com/

I just finished listening to "My FBI" by Louie Freeh. It was pretty good, but got my blood pressure going when he was talking about the Clinton administration's response in the Khobar towers incident.

Common Sense by Thomas Paine. Just one of the pamphlets Thomas Paine had published in support of the American Revolution
    The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. Good insight to the lives of Orville and Wilbur and their family
    Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. First hand account of the Pacific Campaign, WWII. Much of the mini-series The Pacific was based on this book
    The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin. The story of Theodore Roosevelt and William Taft. President Roosevelt laid the foundation of our modern politics
    Always Faithful, Always Forward by Dick Couch. A look inside MARSOC training
    Spymaster by Tennat H. Bagley. The story of Sergey Kondrashev, a major player in the KGB from WWII through the Cold War

First, if you haven't done it already get the Overdrive app for your phone. It allows you to borrow audiobooks and ebooks for free from your local libraries. Other than going into to get a library card you never have to physically enter the library again.

That being said here are some recommendations for audiobooks:

"Fearless" by Eric Blehm, it's the bio of USN SEAL Adam Brown, but it's not the typical SEAL bio. Truly an amazing story. Anything by Eric Blehm will be worth your time.

"Black Mass: The True Story of an Unholy Alliance between the FBI and the Irish Mob" by Lehr and O'Neill (BTW, I think it should be required reading for any cop that works with informants)

"Prince of Thieves" by Chuck Hogan (it's the book the movie "The Town" was based on)

"Devil in the Grove" by Gilbert King (story of Thurgood Marshall and the "Groveland Boys" rape case in Lake County, FL)

The WWII trilogy by Rick Atkinson, detailing the allied operations in the ETO. 1- "An Army at Dawn" 2- "The Day of Battle" 3- "The Guns at Last Light"

"I Always Wanted to Fly," by Col. Wolfgang Samuel. Stories about Cold War flyers in the USAF.

"Fighter Pilot" the memoirs of Brig Gen Robin Olds
    Last edited by DMF13; 08-08-2016 at 01:59 AM.

Starts a little slow, but picks up quickly: Lions of Kandahar IIRC, the reader switched seamlessly between accents.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 08-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Ballistic Radio and Freakonomics Radio

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Scott Horton

Site Supporter
    For a lighter touch - I get CDs from the library and like novels by:

John Sanford - the Lucas Davenport - Prey series or the Virgil Flowers series
    The Mitch Rapp books.
    Brian Haig's (Haig's kid) series about a Army lawyer who was special forces but sidelined by injuries
    For light mysteries - the Hamish McBeth Scottish constable for the weird ways and crimes in the Highlands.

User Tag List