Welcome to the pistol-forum.com.
Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    21-Nov-12
    private property on the VA/WV border
    3h, ~300rd

Ernest Langdon (FAST Coin #04), Joe S. (FAST Coin #08), Jose G. (rgrgordo), the mysterious Rj5284, and I got together for a little shooting the day before Thanksgiving. It was quite the eclectic group: one P30, one SIG P226, one M&P9, one Glock (I'm assuming 22), and my 1911.

Not only didn't I have any specific goals in mind, no one really had a plan of what to do other than hang out and shoot. So we took turns calling drills and ran some man-vs-man. I was overall pretty happy with my performance among that group. I had the best overall time on the plate rack. We ran my "actor vs reactor" drill... against Ernest neither of us could win as the reactor, which I considered a decent accomplishment.
    Donate to Rampage For The Cure!
    Todd Louis Green, pistol-training.com Train hard & stay safe!
    "Speed is the essence of war."
    Sun Tzu | Sometimes the fastest way to get fast is to go faster.

27-Nov-12
    NRA Range
    1h, ~50rd

This was a KSTG match. Our squad actually shot the stages out of order (3, 2, 1, 4).

• Stage 1: Classifier. While I managed to squeak a Master class run, I did so by the thinnest of margins (17.52s total). My reloads on the first two runs were bad, turning in a 6.03 and 6.18 respectively. I stopped fumbling on the last run enough to manage a 5.31 which, while far from good, was at least less not-good. On a positive note, all three runs were clean. Didn't notice it until now, but I was the only shooter at the match to shoot the Classifier clean. Finished 1st.
    • Stage 2: It Should Have Been Dark. This was a very quick stage. Back up to cover, shoot two targets 3ea from left side of a wide barricade, then two targets 3ea from the right side of a wide barricade. I decided to run dry and reload while engaging the last target because I can't rely on the Wilson 10rd magazines to drop free when partially loaded. It cost me a little time but did save me from the error of reloading a hot gun while exposed to threats (which earned quite a few folks 5s penalties). Finished 2nd behind JConn who had an awesome run.
    • Stage 3: Know Thyself. The idea from this stage sprang out of a conversation Vinh and I had a while back. Instead of running against the clock or having a set PAR time, on this stage you actually picked your own PAR. Then that was your time for the stage, plus any penalties. The drill was a simple draw and fire five to the body, one to the head. The trick is to give yourself enough time to make up for a fumble or bad shot but not so much time that your score is longer than it needed to be. I was originally going to do 2.5s but the guys talked me into 3.0 flat instead. Good thing, because I think I used 2.9s of that time. Shot it clean. Finished 1st.
    • Stage 4: Half of Everything. This was stage 2 repeated (but only 2 on each target), then hit the three targets from the Classifier on the move. I felt like I did reasonably well and didn't make any mistakes, but joshs beat me by more than 2 seconds. Finished 2nd.

Overall finish: 1st (45.59 total). Next closed person was 55.38 so it was a good margin. The things that helped me the most were avoiding penalties and shooting clean. I dropped just three points the whole match. The other two Master-class shooters dropped 7 and 11 plus each of them had a procedural. That was the margin of victory.

30-Nov-12
    NRA Range
    ~4hr, ~1,100rd

GOALS: get back into the swing of things with a serious session. One main area of attention was grip, based on all the discussion lately about Robert Vogel and his grip technique.

This was my first real practice in three weeks. It definitely showed, there was a lot of dust to knock off.

• Cold FASTs were pretty bad. First was an embarrassing 8.07 (-1H -1B, 1.62, .38 / 2.34 / .25, .24, .24). My true cold FAST has been consistently bad which is a definite result of limited practice. Second run was 6.29 (c, 1.70, .46 / 3.38 / .26, .25, .24) with a massively screwed up reload. Third and best official run of the day was 5.19 (c, 1.61, .40 / 2.51 / .23, .23, 21) with a reload that still looks like it belongs in the toolbox of a tiro.
    • I spent quite a lot of time and hundreds of rounds playing around with my grip. While I've only got internet discussion to go on, the Vogel grip as I understand it doesn't work for me with the 1911. I would never get slidelock, and the benefit of the compromise made just didn't translate into meaningful performance. However, the idea of getting more aggressive with lateral pressure on the gun -- very similar to the pectoral crush that Rob Leatham teaches, at least in function -- definitely showed promise. The major downside is that when I start tensing the muscles necessary to get that kind of pressure, my trigger finger doesn't seem to move as dexterously. I'm not willing to have a "marksmanship grip" and a "speed grip," so I'm going to keep playing at it to see if the dexterity comes around.
    • I put a lot of time and effort into my reloads. While I'd promised myself I was going to dry fire 100 reloads a day, the sum total of dry fire reloads I've done in the weeks since promising that is a number neither odd nor even. The practice made for good results today while I was warmed up, but I really do need to start acting responsibly if I'm going to develop a consistent reload I can call up on demand.
    • Worked on marksmanship just a little bit, ending with a little test at 10yd: five shots to a 1" square at 10yd 2H (5/5), five shots to a 2" circle at 10yd SHO (5/5), and five shots to a 2" circle at 10yd WHO (4/5). The WHO miss was pretty severe, easily 2-3" right of the target. I continue to find the 1911's trigger very easy to anticipate in slow fire.
    • Earlier in the week I was talking with a friend who lamented his inability to shoot sub-2s Bill Drills from concealment. So I decided to run an FPAR drill for five (not six) shots to an 8" at 7yd from concealment. I started at 2s and while I was consistently able to do two, I spent the first half of the exercise bouncing back and forth between success at 2.0s and failure at 1.9 seconds. Eventually things got a little better and on my 19th run I succeeded at 1.8, finishing on 1.7 (with a miss) for my final.
    • While not official, I ran six more FASTs (three before dinner, three at the end of the night). Results were much better and showed the benefit of the day's practice, especially in terms of reloads and muzzle control. The numbers were 5.94 (-1B, 1.86, .52 / 2.04 / .18, .17, .17), 4.51 (c, 1.51, .39 / 2.05 / .18, .19, .19), and 4.67 (c, 2.14 for first two / 1.96 / .20, .18, .19) before dinner; 4.65 (c, 1.54, .42 / 2.13 / .20, .18, .18), 4.42 (c, 1.50, .33 / 2.09 / /18, .17, .15), and 4.29 (c, 1.53, .31 / 1.96 / .17, .16, .16) after.
    • As an aside, I'd accidentally brought a case of CCI 3510 (115gr Blazer TMJ standard pressure) and used it after dinner. The recoil and muzzle flip were noticeably less and turned in slightly better numbers as you can see.

Takeaways:
    • need to spend more time practicing reloads and less time talking about the need to practice reloads
    • habitualize more lateral/wedge pressure on the gun as part of my grip
    • shoot 3510 instead of M882CF when other people are watching

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    30-Nov-12
    NRA Range
    ~4hr, ~1,100rd

[*]I spent quite a lot of time and hundreds of rounds playing around with my grip. While I've only got internet discussion to go on, the Vogel grip as I understand it doesn't work for me with the 1911. I would never get slidelock, and the benefit of the compromise made just didn't translate into meaningful performance. However, the idea of getting more aggressive with lateral pressure on the gun -- very similar to the pectoral crush that Rob Leatham teaches, at least in function -- definitely showed promise. The major downside is that when I start tensing the muscles necessary to get that kind of pressure, my trigger finger doesn't seem to move as dexterously. I'm not willing to have a "marksmanship grip" and a "speed grip," so I'm going to keep playing at it to see if the dexterity comes around.
    What is interesting is, besides the recoil control benefit, shooting the Glock, and especially the P30, aka the "TMCP," the Vogel grip improves not hinders the pistol locking back on empty. The reason is with my hands together, unless I consciously move my dominant thumb over the base of my support hand thumb, it is easy for my dominant thumb to touch the slide stop. With the Vogel grip, and my support hand further forward, it naturally causes my dominant thumb to slide away from the slide, between my wrist and base of my thumb, safely away from the slide stop.

* TCMP = Todd's Man Crush Pistol

1-Feb-13
    NRA Range with joshs
    1.5hr, ~150 rounds

GOALS: See if two months of antipathy and disuse would affect reliability; reacquaint myself with marksmanship fundamentals

• This was my first time back to shooting since getting out of the hospital. Looking back at my last entry, it's hard to believe I was able to shoot for four hours or put over a thousand rounds through the gun in one day. I shot a fraction of that today and not only was I exhausted afterwards, but my hands hurt. It's like I'm someone else or something.
    • First thing I did was empty all my carry ammo to check function; no problems. I did this by emptying one each magazine on a 3x5 at 7, 10, and 15 yards at a moderate pace.
    • Next, joshs and I shot Dot Torture at 7yd. I only scored a 46 (out of 50). I gave up two easy points by missing both the first and second dots once each. One shot was a hair's breadth off of Dot #4, and I also shanked a shot on the WHO Dot #8.
    • joshs and I then did a quasi-competitive walkback on 3x5 cards, five rounds per attempt. If you missed a shot at any distance, you had to stay at that distance until you cleaned it. I missed one at just 12yd, then another at 15yd, and finally my third ("three strikes you're out") at 20yd. I wasn't particularly happy with the early misses, but I was actually starting to feel a bit of fatigue by that point... especially in my eyes after more than an hour of bullseye-type shooting.
    • Finally, we finished the day with an impromptu run at Hackathorn's Test (10 shots in 10 seconds at 10yd on an NRA B-8). I did it from concealment and scored a 96 with plenty of time left over. I fumbled my draw pretty severely and rushed, which probably accounts for the derps.

While it would have been informative to shoot the FAST, I didn't have a shot timer with me. Furthermore, I'm not sure my ego could take it. I'm hoping to hit the range again next Monday and Friday, and by Friday I'm planning to be ready for serious training and testing again.

Glad to see you on the board again Todd. I have been thinking of your health and I am glad you are out and about and shooting and posting again!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    1-Feb-13
    NRA Range with joshs
    1.5hr, ~150 rounds

GOALS: See if two months of antipathy and disuse would affect reliability; reacquaint myself with marksmanship fundamentals
    A shooting report from TLG, best news I have heard in weeks!

STAFF
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Glad to see you on the board again Todd. I have been thinking of your health and I am glad you are out and about and shooting and posting again!
    +1 Next time I'm having a good day at the range, I'll have to run the Test and DT@7, see how my best compares to your post hospital runs.

Really good to see you running around, dude.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. I don't mean to sound like I wanna fight, but if you'd see things my way we could both see things right Specialization is for insects.

Thanks, guys. Due to a change in plan, I should have been able to go back to the range two weeks ago but a complication arose that kept me off my feet until today.

good to see you back at it!