Welcome to the pistol-forum.com.
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

ToddG's Journal: Breaking the Cardboard Ceiling

Monday 7-Nov-11

live fire, 2 hours / 539 rounds
    NRA Range
    • Goals: evaluate new front sight; DotW 6; DotTor at 10yd; work on press-outs and bursts with LW3.5 connector.
    • Installed new (orange) front sight.
    • Dot Torture at 10yd: 48. Missed one shot on each dots 6 & 7. Purely a matter of patience and discipline.
    • Two good FASTs (4.33 and 4.16) with a disastrous 5.43 -1H in the middle.
    • 92 on the 99 Drill (-1, -2, -2, -2) ... need to slow down for the reload string, I have tons of time and throw shots for no good reason.
    • Worked primarily on press-outs and marksmanship.
    • DotW 6

dry fire, 13 minutes
    PTC dry fire routine, Week 1 Monday "basic routine"
    • Decided to make a serious commitment to work my dry fire routine. Created a dedicated 1/3 scale (seven foot) dry fire target with 3x5 card, 2" circles, and 8" circle.
    • Wall Drill visually taxing due to convergence insufficiency. Modified the routine to shoot at simulated 2" circle from 7' instead.
    • 2H and SHO were fine; WHO had minor movement at/after the break.
    Donate to Rampage For The Cure!
    Todd Louis Green, pistol-training.com Train hard & stay safe!
    "Speed is the essence of war."
    Sun Tzu | Sometimes the fastest way to get fast is to go faster.

Convergence insufficiency?

Please elaborate.

When I was a wee little lad, I had a vision problem that involved being unable to focus properly on close objects because my eyes didn't coordinate properly and they'd focus on slightly different points from one another. I don't even recall how we learned about it because I have no recollection of any problems associated with it, but I had to do a pretty typical exercise ("pencil pushups") for a while until it got better.

When I look down my sights with both eyes open, I see two sets of sights. With practice I just learned which one to pay attention to and which one to ignore.

However, with the Wall Drill, for some reason the second set of sights is just impossible for me to block out. My eyes fatigue within a matter of seconds and I can't practice without closing one eye. Because I never close one eye on purpose while shooting -- not that I think it's a big deal for those who do -- I just backed off and did the drill in a way that works for me. I'm not sure yet whether I'll try to overcome the issue or just let it be.

Tuesday 8-Nov-11

dry fire, 14 minutes
    PTC dry fire routine, Week 1 Tuesday "draws"
    • Very happy with 2H and SHO draws; consistently on 2" at Wall Drill pace
    • WHO shots still showing movement; stopped and did additional 5 bullseye WHO and 5 press-out WHO before continuing with program

S.M.E., STAFF, Very Pro Dentist,
    You need a pirate eye patch.

Just sayin.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    When I was a wee little lad, I had a vision problem that involved being unable to focus properly on close objects because my eyes didn't coordinate properly and they'd focus on slightly different points from one another. I don't even recall how we learned about it because I have no recollection of any problems associated with it, but I had to do a pretty typical exercise ("pencil pushups") for a while until it got better.

When I look down my sights with both eyes open, I see two sets of sights. With practice I just learned which one to pay attention to and which one to ignore.

However, with the Wall Drill, for some reason the second set of sights is just impossible for me to block out. My eyes fatigue within a matter of seconds and I can't practice without closing one eye. Because I never close one eye on purpose while shooting -- not that I think it's a big deal for those who do -- I just backed off and did the drill in a way that works for me. I'm not sure yet whether I'll try to overcome the issue or just let it be.
    Todd I have this exact same problem as did my brother, he went an eye doctor and he did all of these exercises to fix the problem. I am going to this eye doctor in a few weeks and i will let you know how it goes and what he says.

Wednesday 9-Nov-11

live fire, 2 hours / 451 rounds
    NRA Range
    with JV

Goals: try NY1 spring again; work on press-outs and reloads

• cold FAST: 6.84 -1H (1.52, .58 / 2.04 / .24, .23, .23)
    • installed NY1 spring, shot ~50 rounds, put standard spring back in; no comparison in terms of shootability
    • worked 3 on 3x5 @ 7 yd in 2.2s
    • worked on 5 on 3x5 @ 7yd in 3.0s
    • 1-R-2 for PAR: got down to 3.0; worked at 2.9 repeatedly but very erratic on hits
    • end of day FAST 1: 4.62 clean (1.79, .49 / 1.72 / .21, .21, .20) ... missed pistol on initial drawstroke and had to double pump before drawing
    • end of day FAST 2: 4.18 clean (1.52, .38 / 1.69 / .21, .19, .19)

"Too fast" reload work clearly paid dividends; ~1.7 reloads on FAST are very fast for me.

No dry fire tonight.
    Last edited by ToddG; 01-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Wednesday 9-Nov-11

"Too fast" reload work clearly paid dividends; ~1.7 reloads on FAST are very fast for me.
    Todd could you expand on this a bit. Seach engines and I have a love hate relationship (They love to confound me and I hate them) and I haven't come accross this elseware with regards to reloads.

Thanks
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

WARNING: You are about to enter the danger zone!

At a certain point, once you've got a technique down and can perform it smoothly and reasonably quickly on demand, one good way to push yourself is to find a PAR that's just a bit out of reach and then push yourself. So for example, last night I determined that 3.0s was the limit of my ability to 1-R-2 from concealment and get consistent hits on an 8" circle at 7yd. I pushed the PAR down just a tenth and the wheels came off -- I had a lot of misses, like a third on average -- but it forced me to move faster. The shooting was too wild but in order to give myself enough time to aim and press, I had to force my draw and reload to get faster. It's just another example of pushing yourself out of your comfort zone.

The danger, of course, comes when someone applies this approach to a skill he hasn't really mastered at the slow-'n-steady pace yet. Not only will the shooting get sloppy, but the unrefined gun handling also becomes nothing more than high-speed ingraining of bad habits, fumbles, etc.

Satuday 12-Nov-11

live fire, 7 hours / ~ 1,000 rounds (working from 2k ammo can)
    Culpeper, VA
    w/ practice group

Goals: work on accuracy at speed; run Typewriter on video

• ran endless plate rack drills man-vs-man 2H, SHO, WHO; very happy with SHO & WHO accuracy overall
    • typewriter #1 - 22/15.93 = 1.38; typewriter #2 - 18/12.61 = 1.43
    • mid-day FAST: missed one head shot on each of first runs; clean under 5 on third
    • spent significant time working on low% targets (2", plates > 20yd, etc)
    • fast PAR for 2 on 3x5 @ 7yd from concealment: 1.65; tough but doable
    • orange CAP front sight was a huge hit with everyone; practically glows in sunlight making it incredibly easy to see even when your focus is very soft
    • ran a number of athletic drills/challenges and kept up at the likely expense of early onset arthritis to both knees!
    • nothing in the world improves shooting like shooting with good shooters
    Last edited by ToddG; 11-13-2011 at 09:07 PM.