Page 117 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1184

Thread: Beer thread

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Anyone ever try a “White Stout”. I had a buddy give me a Brewing request for one. Did some research, found a few recipes. I might give it a go...
    I’ve gotten them at Kings. I liked them.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Never had one but neighbor twisted my arm to brew one. Said it tasted like a Guinness on steroids. I might try to toss it on nitro. Or at least part of the 5gal batch. Looked up a few recipes. Called my favorite dealer...lol. They hooked me up.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Headflyer Brewing “TaDow” Cold IPA, 7.8% ABV, 22 IBU, Headflyer Brewing Actual, Nordeast Minneapolis, MN

This is an IPA brewed with Strata, Simcoe, and Mosaic hops utilizing Lager yeast, at temperatures lower and slower than typical ales. It’s surprisingly crisp and has a decent balance with a good malt backbone; you can differentiate the hops a bit, too.

Name:  IMG_1505.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  68.3 KB

@entropy,

In queue here; all-grain recipe Rye IPA (based off of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye)
    A cold IPA, and at least one Barleywine to put up for Fall/Winter.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 03-13-2024 at 07:38 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Scylla’s Revenge Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout. Little Beast/Moska brewing. 12.5%. Tasty, but flat.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Headflyer Brewing “TaDow” Cold IPA, 7.8% ABV, 22 IBU, Headflyer Brewing Actual, Nordeast Minneapolis, MN

This is an IPA brewed with Strata, Simcoe, and Mosaic hops utilizing Lager yeast, at temperatures lower and slower than typical ales. It’s surprisingly crisp and has a decent balance with a good malt backbone; you can differentiate the hops a bit, too.

Name:  IMG_1505.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  68.3 KB

@entropy,

In queue here; all-grain recipe Rye IPA (based off of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye)
    A cold IPA, and at least one Barleywine to put up for Fall/Winter.

A rye is on my short list.

Fermenter disaster today. After transfer from boil pot, got all 5+gal in and it started pissing out of the spigot. Beer on kitchen table. Beer on kitchen floor. Had wife cradle the carboy while I ran into the basement to grab another. Luckily only needed StarSan to sanitize as it was clean. Ended up pouring from bad carboy into the good one. Hopefully didn’t expose it too much in the transfer. I guess we’ll see. I was bragging to wife about how the whole process was running smoothly and how I finally had everything “nailed down”.

Lol. Not so much. Turns out the plastic spigot was cracked.

This was the wheat beer.

A rye is on my short list.

Fermenter disaster today. After transfer from boil pot, got all 5+gal in and it started pissing out of the spigot. Beer on kitchen table. Beer on kitchen floor. Had wife cradle the carboy while I ran into the basement to grab another. Luckily only needed StarSan to sanitize as it was clean. Ended up pouring from bad carboy into the good one. Hopefully didn’t expose it too much in the transfer. I guess we’ll see. I was bragging to wife about how the whole process was running smoothly and how I finally had everything “nailed down”.

Lol. Not so much. Turns out the plastic spigot was cracked.

This was the wheat beer.
    Bummer. Hope it's not tainted.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Bummer. Hope it's not tainted.
    Me too. Guess we’ll find out. All this happened prior to pitching the yeast, so I’m hoping things were sterilized enough and the pour brief enough to minimize the risk. Need to inspect equipment better. Between the PDW and the StarSan, it prolly takes its toll. I’ve been moving to stainless fermenters (have one) and away from glass and plastic. It’s difficult to drop that amount of coin (at least initially) on something that started as a whim. New place has an area set aside for brew work.
    Last edited by entropy; 03-14-2024 at 08:10 AM.

Me too. Guess we’ll find out. All this happened prior to pitching the yeast, so I’m hoping things were sterilized enough and the pour brief enough to minimize the risk. Need to inspect equipment better. Between the PDW and the StarSan, it prolly takes its toll. I’ve been moving to stainless fermenters (have one) and away from glass and plastic. It’s difficult to drop that amount of coin (at least initially) on something that started as a whim. New place has an area set aside for brew work.
    There’s a lot that can go awry when you’re still sorting out your equipment. Good luck on this batch!
    You’ve got what, maybe two weeks before you know for sure?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Had an opportunity recently to try some experimental beers from Hop & Sting. If you're ever near Grapevine, TX (next door to DFW) and feeling thirsty, they have a nice tap room and some pretty good beers. My favorite from them is their Masterminds, a Hazy IPA.

.... I have a friend in the bar business and they received some samples of a few experimental Stouts that were being tested, the "winner", if you will, had the promise of being brought to market. My friend is not a Stout fan and thought I would have a more experienced opinion. I was happy to oblige.

The stated goal from the brewer was to make a Stout that had a good Stout flavor profile, but be less "heavy", so that a customer might be inclined to have more than one without feeling full, or for the brew to be more appealing to non-Stout drinkers.

- Cayenne Pepper Chocolate Stout
    - Sea Salt Chocolate Stout
    - Hazelnut Chocolate Stout

All three beers seemed to be differently flavored versions of the same wort. Same body, same Stout flavors but with different finishing flavors... I don't have any insight on exactly how they were crafted, just my guess here.... They achieved their goal of making a lighter body Stout. It's no Pilsner, but it's certainly lighter than a traditional Stout. Good malt, but, less than you'd expect from a traditional Stout. Smooth texture, but not so thick. I believe they are all 6.3% ABV.

So.... assuming they were all the same base beer... The Cayenne version had some heat, but no pepper flavor... Definitely some good chocolate. The salted chocolate had just a hint of salt, not enough for my preference (I was expecting this to be my favorite) and the chocolate was much more subtle than either of the other two. The Hazelnut version was also very subtle Hazelnut but solid chocolate. Of the three, I thought the Hazelnut was best for the good chocolate, I thought the Cayenne was more of a gimmick than something I would want in my beer and the Sea Salt didn't live up to expectations for either saltiness or chocolate.

Overall worth a try, but, I'll stick with the Hazy IPA or maybe try some others. My wife and kids have all enjoyed sampling at the tasting room.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    There’s a lot that can go awry when you’re still sorting out your equipment. Good luck on this batch!
    You’ve got what, maybe two weeks before you know for sure?
    Yeah. About that. This one is a quickie. I used WLP320. They say 10 days max. Obviously no secondary required. I might take some, keg it and force carbonate to see.

That reminds me...I need to go and see if it’s active yet. Been about 18hrs since yeast pitch.

If it does go south, it will be the first batch I ruined. Thankfully the kit was on the cheaper side. I’ve got a call in to my “Brewing doctor”. Lol.

User Tag List