Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drill of the Week 6: Typewriter

We are diminished

Drill of the Week 6: Typewriter

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 6: Typewriter
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EDT on Monday 14-November-2011.

modified from a drill by CCT12US
    Range: 5yd
    Target: 6 2" circles on the downloadable target from pistol-training.com
    Start position: holstered
    Rounds fired: 24

On the beep, draw and fire one round at each of the six 2" circles in order from #1 to #6 and then immediately repeat from #1 to #6 again for a total of twelve rounds fired. Record your time.

Then starting from the holster again, on the beep draw and fire one round at each of the six 2" circles in reverse order from #6 to #1 then immediately repeat from #6 to #1 again. Record your time.

You must shoot the targets in proper order each time.

Your score is the number of hits you made (out of 24) divided by your total time for the two strings of fire. So for example if you get 23 hits and shoot it in 25.55 seconds your score is:

23 ÷ 25.55 = 0.80

This drill is not capacity-neutral. If your handgun holds less than 12 rounds, you will need to reload during the drill. If your pistol holds less than 6 rounds, you will need to reload more than once. The time for the reload counts toward your score.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, start from a ready position with the muzzle pointed off the target and add two seconds to your time for each string.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Pistol's ammo capacity
    • Type of draw (open, concealed, retention holster)
    • Hits
    • Times
    • Score

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Pistols ammo cap: 18 (M&P 9mm)
    Draw: Concealed (Sig Tac vest)
    Hits: 18
    Times: S1 - 12:06. S2 - 11:29. Combined = 23.35
    Score: 0.77 (I guess this means a C-)

Nice day @ the range today weather wise...I'm still learning the sights on this pistol. Prior to this drill I ran through the IDPA classifier...not gonna talk about it anymore than 1 missed head shot and 2 misses from 20 yards. Yea, it was that bad.

Anyway, the M&P ran like a top.

Can this be done on the Pistol-Training Q targets?

DOW 6

Cz 75 9mm
    concealed open jacket
    Capacity 17
    First 10.00 -4
    Sec. 11.58 -1
    19/21.58=.88
    Again
    First 9.38 -2
    Sec 7.99 -3
    19/17.37= 1.09
    Need more hits
    Great drill for trigger control/sight alignment
    Bob H

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Can this be done on the Pistol-Training Q targets?
    Yes. The spacing of the targets is slightly wider on the Q-PT, so there is at least a theoretical disadvantage.

My DotW 6 results:

Part of the reason I stole CCT125US's drill for this week was due to the recent discussion in the Speed vs Accuracy thread and in particular joshs's comments about IPSC hit factor as it relates to scoring. This drill, for all intents and purposes, uses IPSC scoring.

As such, I decided to run it three times with three different goals. First, I ran it like I would at an IPSC match ... focused on hits but not striving for perfect accuracy at the cost of speed.

string 1: 7.07 seconds, -1 hit
    string 2: 6.88 seconds, -2 hits
    21 total hits ÷ total time 13.95 seconds = 1.51

Second, I took the time to guarantee every hit.

string 1: 9.71 seconds, clean
    string 2: 10.62 seconds, clean
    24 total hits ÷ total time of 20.33 seconds = 1.18

Finally, I shot 'til the wheels fell off and kept shooting.

string 1: 5.61 seconds, -6 hits
    string 2: 5.48 seconds, -3 hits
    15 total hits ÷ total time of 11.09 seconds = 1.35

All three runs were with my G17 gen4 endurance test gun loaded to 12rd. Draws were from concealment underneath a half-zip fleece.

So even when hits and misses have equal weight (all or nothing points), under this scheme it can be better to go fast and miss than slow down to guarantee every hit.

Now for giggles, let's take the IPSC scoring another step. Instead of all or nothing hits and misses, Let's call the circle 5 points and the area around it 4 points (like a C-zone). My scores become:

First balanced run (117 points) = 8.39
    Second perfect run (120 points) = 5.90
    Third wild run (111 points) = 10.01

And that is how, in IPSC, you can miss fast enough to win.
    Last edited by ToddG; 11-07-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added gun/capacity/draw info as required by the merciless OP

Let's call a hit +1 and a miss -1...

We are diminished
    My long post wasn't intended to change the scoring as posted at the beginning of the thread, just to show how scoring systems can dramatically affect the ideal balance between speed & accuracy.

The scoring for this drill is: total number of hits ÷ total time in seconds.

Understood and I was not suggesting any changes to the DOW #6 scoring.

I was offering that hypothetical difference in scoring in the same vein as what you were doing, ie. how scoring can change the final outcome and guide our emphasis and efforts in trying to reach that desired goal.

Pistol capacity: 15 (I loaded 2 mags with 12 rounds each.)
    Draw: from concealment (G19 out of a VMII at 4o'clock under a closed-front shirt)
    Hits: 12 + 10 = 22
    Times: 20.54 + 22.00 = 42.54
    Score: 22 / 42.54 = .517
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Great drill to test out the IPSC scoring. Now I can't wait to give it a go.

User Tag List