Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovering grip strength after hand injuries

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Recovering grip strength after hand injuries

Per a request in another thread, I'll go over briefly how I recovered and increased my hand strength after injuries. In a nut shell, I broke my strong hand twice including a boxer's fracture and breaking the bones that keep your thumb bone attached to the rest of your bones so that my thumb was laid down against my forearm, have pins and plates in it, and some crookedness especially the pinky. My support hand is effected by nerve damage and I lost all sensation in my last two fingers and most of the sensation in my first two fingers. My thumb was never effected.

Step 1: Stop being a dumbass. This was tough for me. Instead of fixing the problem, I tried to find work arounds. I didn't go to the doctor, I didn't do followup, I didn't do physical therapy. I finally was motivated to not be a dumbass when I lost so much feeling in my left hand I could burn myself and not know it except by smell and it was effecting my recoil control dramatically. So, stop being a dumbass and get to a physical therapist.

Step 2: Do what your PT says to do. Don't be a dumbass and try too much too fast. You will have set backs if you are a dumbass. When they tell you "if it hurts, stop" they don't mean "if it hurts, push through it."

So, for the actual grip strengthening I used two tools.

This thing: http://www.fitnessmart.com/fitstore2/products/68200.htm starting at Barbie weights and moving up.

And this thing: http://www.ironmind-store.com/IronMi...ctinfo/1425-G/

The calibrated grip strength horse shoe shaped thing works pretty much like a traditional grip strength exerciser. I wrapped the handles in guaze tape, because once you got past 50 lbs or so it was kind of hard on the web between your thumb and pointer finger. I see they have a nicer version with better grips.

The green egg I use without my thumb. I squeeze my fingers against my palm, but with the egg in the way. I feel this simulates how you hold a pistol's grip pretty well. I squish it as I watch TV or read. I will then turn it long ways and squish it with my last two fingers or my first two fingers for extra challenge. If my elbow starts to feel sore, I stop. I then make a teepee shape with my fingers, hold them together with the other hand, and try to open my teepee against the pressure of my other hand. I'll slowly let the teepee win. You can do the same thing with rubber bands, but using your other hand for resistance let's you easily control how much.

Getting the nerves working again required a lot of stretching and really had to be done by a competent PT. I tried one of those at home stretcher things and it was junk. A real PT knows where and how to stretch you and knows which nerves are aggravated based on where you are numb, tingly, etc. I'm got all the feeling back in all my fingers but the pointer and if I wasn't such a dumbass and waited too long, I probably would have gotten that feeling back too.

Really, the keys for me where to use the horse shoe thing for maximum weight and short reps and the egg thing for holding a compressed grip for a significant time, etc. Do not over do it and cause repetitive motion injuries, don't get disgusted with your Barbie Doll weights and try to use Burly Manly Man weights before your PT oks it, no matter if you used to be fine with Burly Manly Man weights. Accept you aren't as young as you used to be and you take longer to recuperate. Don't be a dumbass. You're paying a PT because they know more about it than you. Don't try to outsmart them. It's way better to do several short sessions over the day than one or two heavy sessions. Squish the egg while you're going other stuff.

The end result was over about 4 months of PT I went from less than 60 lbs of grip strength in either hand to 120 lb in both hands. My support hand is actually slightly stronger than my dominant hand now, although it's evening out. My dumbassery is also much improved, although not completely eliminated.

Thank you so much, timely and valuable for me.

Site Supporter
    Those are neat! When I broke my wrist - they just had me squeeze graduated balls of goo that got harder to squeeze and then a sports hand squeezy thing. Then I just lifted dumbbells in increasing amounts.

Still need to read the whole post in detail, but what was your grip strength before the injuries?

Not an injury but perhaps relevant so I will elaborate.

Some years ago I developed a small pea sized cyst on the tendon sheath of my middle (signaling) finger. This was right smack in my palm right at that first crease (line) the fortune tellers read. Every time I put my hand on a flat surface it felt as if there was a pebble between my hand and the surface. I really did not notice it shooting.

I thought a simple fix. Lance it, drain it? Nope my doctor referred me to a hand surgeon. I ended up getting it removed in an OR as an outpatient. Here is a i-phone pic of the faint scar. I added tic marks where it starts and ends. If you look carefully you can see the suture marks on the lower portion.

I left the hospital with my right hand wrapped up in a huge dressing. I'm talking about the size of a 15 oz. boxing glove. The directions were to not remove the bandage until my visit to the surgeon's office in two weeks. After attempting to shower with a plastic bag over the dressing I removed it. I fashioned my own dressing to protect the area and showered with a latex glove on the hand using hospital tape to seal it at the wrist.

Within a day or two I was back in the gym exercising. I was careful to not disturb the wound and at first I checked it frequently to assure it wasn't opening. On my visit to the surgeon's office he did a double take and asked me, "Did I say you could remove your dressing?". I fibbed and said it had gotten dirty and replaced it with what I had yesterday, which was partially true. He removed the sutures and then asked me to flex my hand. I had full normal range of motion. He was quite surprised and said, "Wow! You don't need physical therapy." That was not anything he had warned me about prior to the procedure. I'm thoroughly convinced that had I left my had immobilized for two weeks I would have had no were near the range of motion I demonstrated.

All that said it took a solid year before the hand returned to normal. I noticed it in grip strength and most notably on a particular exercise in the gym. Doing triceps push-downs holding onto a thick rope my right hand would collapse on itself (fingers would pile up, width of my palm would decrease). This took a long time to resolve itself. All from a simple little 3/4" incision. I can only imagine the difficulty recovering from a traumatic injury to the hand.
    Last edited by JohnO; 05-31-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Still need to read the whole post in detail, but what was your grip strength before the injuries?
    I really don't know, as I never had a reason to squeeze one of the calibrated doo-dads that measure it until after the first injury. I was roughly 100 lbs strong hand, a bit less support hand, after the boxer's fracture healed up but before the nerve issues and breaking the little bones that hold the thumb on. I did do about 8 weeks of physical therapy after the boxer fracture, but it was focused mostly on limbering the hand back up and getting my fingers to go back as straight as they were going to.

Thanks for the additional intel. The horseshoe gripper has potential to help my grip strength since it looks to focus the effort differently than the other gizmos I've used. I need to keep exercising so that I can recruit as many muscle fibers as possible in the areas that are still innervated. My nerve didn't regenerate well at all. Lots of reading tells me that good peripheral nerve regeneration at my age (late 50s) is unusual although not unheard of.

Site Supporter
    Thank you very much for posting this.

It does look like I need to apply step 1 and then read step 2 every. single. day.

God Bless,

Brandon

Figured this might fit here. An article by Ron Avery on training/recovering grip strength.

https://www.tacticalperformancecente...aining-part-ii

Part one is here:
    https://www.tacticalperformancecente...e-grip-workout
    Last edited by John Hearne; 08-01-2016 at 05:55 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Figured this might fit here. An article by Ron Avery on training/recovering grip strength.

https://www.tacticalperformancecente...aining-part-ii

Part one is here:
    https://www.tacticalperformancecente...e-grip-workout
    Awesome information in at least the first post.

I'm wrapping up a speech prep for my final class tonight but I'm going to go through this in the next few days.

This content looks very promising and just what I was looking for.

I still need to go see a doctor for about 3 or 4 different issues really update glasses, talk about grip/elbow stuff, and other stuff, etc.

It's coming soon.

God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List