Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 5: Sweet Sixteen

We are diminished

Week 5: Sweet Sixteen

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 5: Sweet Sixteen
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EDT on Monday 7-November-2011.

by Todd Louis Green
    Range: varies
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start position: ready; standing unsupported
    Rounds fired: 16

This is a variation of a classic walkback drill.

You get exactly sixteen rounds. You can begin with the target at any distance you choose.

Fire one round at the target.
    • hit: add one yard and repeat
    • miss: stay at same distance and repeat

Your score is the farthest target that you successfully hit.

If you miss three times at the same distance, the drill ends even if you still have ammunition remaining. E.g., if you miss your first shot at the 7yd line, then miss your second attempt at the 7yd line, and miss your third attempt at the 7yd line the drill is over even if you have only fired three rounds and scored no hits. This prevents someone from beginning at the 50yd line and hoping for one hit out of 16 shots.

If you don't miss, you'll end up 15yd farther than your first shot. E.g., if you start at the 5yd line and get all your hits, your last shot will be at the 20yd line.

For added adventure, you can repeat the drill SHO and WHO.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • Starting distance
    • Distance of farthest successful hit

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Last edited by ToddG; 11-06-2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: week 5 is week 5, not week 4

We are diminished

2H
    • starting distance: 10yd
    • farthest hit: 22yd

SHO
    • starting distance: 5yd
    • farthest hit: 18yd

WHO
    • starting distance: 5yd
    • farthest hit: 16yd

I had a brief window to shoot today, with no other expected practice opportunities for the rest of the week. While I intended to begin the DOW #5 "Sweet Sixteen" at 12 yds, it turns out the target was actually at 14 yards for the first shot. Using an M&P45 w/RMR02 I made first round hits at all distances until I missed on my first shots at both 26 & 27 yds, but hit with my second--unfortunately, I had used up my 16 shots so had to stop the drill with a successful hit at 27 yds.

An RDS on a pistol is extremely helpful for making precise shots, especially at longer distances; I have to continue to work on getting more rapid hits with RDS equipped pistols. Due to time restrictions, I only shot a single FAST drill today, getting a clean 5.93 sec with the M&P45 w/RMR, as well as running the DOW #4 Bill Drill in 13.94 sec clean and the DOW #2 "4567" drill in 16.88 sec clean. Total rounds fired today was 170.

Damn you and your fancy drills Todd!Q@#$

80% of your drills I can't do because there isn't a range anywhere near me that allows "rapid fire" or presenting from holsters. Then you finally give me a drill that doesn't require either of those, but I've got to fire one round then move the target back 1 yard.

My club's range is setup such that they call a cease fire every 10 minutes to allow people to change out their targets and we're typically talking about 3 minutes worth of cease-fire. This means that if I started at 5 yards and made it all the way to 15 yards two handed, it would take me a little over two hours to do that. If I did the same thing SHO and WHO, this one drill would take me 6 and a half hours to complete ... which is longer than my range is actually open on any one weekend day.

I hate you Todd. I hate you. Not really. Just sometimes. Like any time I read your blog. Which is every day.

Your friend,
    Billy

We are diminished
    Without derailing the thread, hopefully: We knew going into this that not every person would be able to shoot every drill. Unfortunately, for facilities that are strict and based on what is essentially a bullseye shooting model, anything outside of a bullseye drill is going to be difficult. If we did nothing but bullseye, the DotW would become pretty boring and not really cater to the majority on this forum. I know you were just joking and not upset, but I thought it was worth taking a moment to let folks know that the Staff is aware of the limitations many people have. Not everyone will be able to shoot every drill, and some folks may not be able to shoot more than one a month. Having said that, if the range you use prevents you from shooting at different distances, drawing from a holster, and shooting rapid fire... there's a pretty low ceiling on where your practical shooting skill level can go.

Shot today. Used my issued S&W 5946 to shoot it cold.
    Started at 7m, missed my first shot at 19m, then got the hit at 19 and 20m, and missed with my last shot at 21m.

Started at 7m and made my last good hit at 20m. Possible max distance 22m

After the candidates finished their qualifications, I ran it again with my Gen4 G17.
    Started again at 7m, missed my first shot at 13m (WTF?? lol) and then continued on to make good hits to 21m.

Started at 7m, made last good hit with last round at 21m. Possible max distance 22m

Doc, great shooting!!! Hitting the 3x5 at 27 yards is no small feat!
    Last edited by wicked_police; 11-01-2011 at 05:10 PM.

It is a LOT easier with an RDS than irons...almost like cheating!

Ran this drill today, though I did a couple of things slightly wrong.

I started at 9 yards, because the range I have access to goes out to 25 yards, thinking that if I ran it perfectly I would max out the distance on the shooting range and finish the drill without running out of distance. Except I did the math wrong - that would have needed me to start at 10 yards.

I only had time today to run it two handed, but hope to re-run it later SHO and WHO as well.

First hit: 9 yards
    (1 miss at 24 yards, all the rest were hits)
    Last hit 25 yards

The distance and number of shots don't add up right because I made a math error, as noted above, then also did not move the target out exactly one yard each time. The range doesn't have yardage markings every yard, so I had to eyeball it, and apparently moved the target out a little more than one yard with each hit, because I found myself at 24 yards with three shots left, missed one, hit the next shot at 24 yards, moved out to 25 yards, and hit with that shot and was out of ammo.

I was very happy with how I did. I really thought I would drop more shots sooner than I did.

[IMG] Sweet_Sixteen_2_Hands by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

OrigamiAK--Well done! That is good shooting with irons. You definitely need to start competing!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    OrigamiAK--Well done! That is good shooting with irons. You definitely need to start competing!
    Thank you Doc!

I forgot to specify the equipment used:

G34, stock, Ameriglo Defoor sights.

I am in the middle of typing a response for the newly-split Speed vs. Accuracy thread, and I have a couple of comments related to the competition thing that I'll put in there, rather than cluttering up this thread with them.

User Tag List