Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Knowing how shit works makes TV and movies hard to enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    It was raining today, so I ditched shooting to see Captain America, Civil War - it was actually a pretty good movie. It did suffer from Star Wars Trooper marksmanship fails from zillions of special forces. Also, no one has figured out head or leg shots for failure to stop drills.

However, it was fun.
    There was a good disregard of physics as well. When Stark has a black eye and Romanoff doesn't have a scratch....

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    There was a good disregard of physics as well. When Stark has a black eye and Romanoff doesn't have a scratch....
    I liked it when Spidey noted of Cap's shield, "that thing really doesn't obey physics does it?"
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

On a James Bond marathon (all movies from Dr. No to present, all EON except Never Say Never Again). The obvious ones like the sound of the suppresors and the like ignored.

Goldfinger: no way in hell is the Army or Air Force going to allow civilian craft to overfly Fort Knox like Ms. Galore's crew did. Goldfinger's fake "Soldiers" having USAF Blues insignia for their rank, Goldfinger's death scene (sorry, but catastrophic decompression in atmosphere doesn't work like that. Hell, it doesn't even work like that in space).

Thunderball: a Vulcan going on a training op with live weapons in the bay and the "triggers" in the cockpit. The RAF guys I've met all shake their heads at that one.

You Only Live Twice: SPECTRE coming up with a reusable space capsule that apparently evades all radar detection until it goes for a capture and no one can track when/where it's coming down with any real precision. Maybe it's because I was born just before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Cold War was basically over, but I refuse to believe the West was that incompetent/didn't have the tech to figure things out. That and trying to do an orbital rendezvous with docking without having multiple orbits to set it up is all but impossible unless one knows all orbital parameters of the target and even a direct ascent profile is very difficult at best.
    Last edited by will_1400; 05-26-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Suspension of disbelief is a great way to ensure that you don't feel like you are wasting your money. If you are going somewhere to be entertained, suspend your disbelief... Saves on grief!
    Last edited by Zhurdan; 05-26-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Yes, I had a neat question of using analogous principles from the primate color opponency systems, design a system differentiate between different IR signatures of a jet engine versus an IR flare for a heat seeking missile. Spectral emissions curves and sensor sensitivities supplied. Provide appropriate graphs for results.
    What refund percentage do I get this far in the semester?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Suspension of disbelief is a great way to ensure that you don't feel like you are wasting your money. If you are going somewhere to be entertained, suspend your disbelief... Saves on grief!
    I can suspend my disbelief as long as I'm given a reason that is valid within the parameters set by the film. I gave Terminator a pass because Arnie was a nigh-unstoppable cyborg. I gave Star Wars a pass because the tech/understanding of physics shown is clearly beyond what we have (Star Trek, ditto). I gave The Matrix a pass because they said that someone who knew they were in a computer program could bend the rules with proper training (but not completely break them unless they were The One whose encoding allowed him to re-write the rules at will) of physics (plus Carrie-Ann Moss in skintight leather and Keanu is a legit shooter in 3-gun and not a dude to underestimate).

I will suspend disbelief in what I consider a reasonable fashion. If someone isn't savvy on space or orbital mechanics and does space shit wrong, then I give it a pass. If it's something like Gravity, I'm going to be finding errors like hell. Especially if they re-write known space object characteristics for artistic license and come up with some bullshit ex-Machina while claiming "scientifically real". (An EVA astronaut somehow managing to thrust with a fire extinguisher to a space station with an orbital period 30 seconds faster, inclination difference of -10 degrees for the Chinese station as viewed from the ISS, and an altitude change about 50 km would require far more delta-V and delta-I than a damn man-portable fire extinguisher has. Plus the exact retrograde orbit of the debris field vs a Hubble servicing mission against an ISS-only mission (required special authorization to do since the Shuttle didn't have the delta-V to go to Hubble and then meet up with the ISS, said requirement was written after the Columbia incident.), and so on. It may amuse the layman, but if you're going to do hard sci-fi, expect the nerds (like me) to rip it apart on even the slightest misstep on the tech (though if the movie is good, we'll keep our complaints down to quibbles rather than gross inaccuracies as a rule).
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Yeah, I caught that mistake in Gravity too, yeah.

I guess it really is rocket science in some cases.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Site Supporter
    Saw on some news feed that the comic book has made Captain America into a secret Nazi/Hydra double agent. That violates the laws of Brooklyn where Cap grew up.

Site Supporter
    Saw on some news feed that the comic book has made Captain America into a secret Nazi/Hydra double agent. That violates the laws of Brooklyn where Cap grew up.
    I read that. The author claims the twist reflects the times we live in. What a dumb idea. Is it too much to expect the people behind this to use a popular character to advance American ideals with a hopeful, positive message? Yes. Yes it is.

Site Supporter
    The comics have a tendency to reboot their characters and origins every few years. I gave up on them years ago. It's like those idiot movies. I watched the latest Fantastic Four movie on cable. They totally redid the Dr. Doom story into a truly stupid one. Movie stunk.

User Tag List