Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Getting This Tech Support Scam?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Anyone Else Getting This Tech Support Scam?

Someone just called me, claiming he was from "Windows Technical Support." Through a really thick accent:

"Sir, have you noticed in that when your computer has been online, hackers have been trying to get into it, sir have you noticed that?"
    Bitch, please. Anyways, I played along, mostly because I'm bored. He wanted me to start event viewer (eventvwr), but I left it alone after that. I asked for his contact information, and he gave me a number - 1 (877) 571-9972, and an email address - windowstechsupport@yahoo.mail. This is probably the seventh time they've called me in three days.

I'm tempted to fire up an emulator, call the number, and just follow their instructions to see what would happen. Anyone been hearing from these yahoos (...see what I did there)? I've nothing better to do, so harassing some scam artists seems like fun.

I'd also report them to whoever deals with this stuff, but I'm sure the relevant LE already knows, as this is not an especially subtle operation.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

"Sir, have you noticed in that when your computer has been online, hackers have been trying to get into it, sir have you noticed that?"
    Why yes, I have.

What version of Windows are you running?
    Windows? I'm running Linux Mint.

"click" sound of phone hanging up
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I once told them I don't own any computers. He needed me to repeat it several times before he hung up. I guess what I said wasn't on his script.

Got them once. Played along for quite a while acting like things he was telling me didn't work. He got pretty frustrated after about 15 minutes when I told him I couldn't find whatever he wanted on OSX. He hung up rudely.

I got the same thing a couple days ago, could barely understand the guy through his accent so I hung up.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Yup. I've received those calls on my work phone, and my wife has received them on her cell.

Yup. The latest call was while I was on my way to a precision rifle match and my response almost made my buddy crash the truck:

Vijay: "Hello I am calling about the virus on your Windows computer"

Me: "Do you have a pencil?"

Vijay: "Yes I have a pencil"

Me: "Listen carefully. I want you to shove the pencil up your ass"

Vijay: "..."

Me: "Is the pencil in your ass?"

Vijay: "Yes?"
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    We get that and the Indian Revenue Service saying the Mumbai Swat team is going to storm the house in an hour if we don't pay our taxes. Got that today.

I think they carry Enfields.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I once told them I don't own any computers.
    Imma try that one next.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List