Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Got to roll with Royce today. Tried to use the floppy fish technique, but I couldn't get him to bite. He must have been studying my videos or something...

Anyway, it was an awesome class. As he was 20 years ago, he is VERY technical, and was able to improve a lot of what I was doing. Small tweaks that really helped, especially since everyone I rolled with today was 100# or more over my body weight. I don't get star struck easily, but I grew up watching him in the early UFC's, and few guys have a warrior family tradition like his. Incredibly skilled, even on top of his natural attributes.

We then got to go to the range. He's a solid shooter, and loves guns. I got invited to shoot a steel challenge match with him and a few other guys this weekend, so more exciting times in the immediate future.

This was a short, LE focused class, but one of these days, I'd really like to spend a week training with him. This class also introduced me to a good bunch of guys not too far from me who train at a Gracie Jiu jitsu school, so I may be able to more regularly roll as well. Good day all around.

Wow that's sounds like a fantastic day, very cool. I hope to check out the a gym (are they called dojo's?) this weekend.

Academies normally, not dojos - and yes, we are extremely humble and willing to help as long as the egos are left at the door.

No other martial art will allow a significantly smaller person (who is well trained) to dominate a much larger opponent. Period.

Just ran across this, thought it fit well with our discussion. Funny how these things work. By the way I go to my first "intro class" on Monday.

https://youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Just ran across this, thought it fit well with our discussion. Funny how these things work. By the way I go to my first "intro class" on Monday.

https://youtu.be/SGpDVCkhtD4
    Jocko is awesome. Here is a convo between him and Joe Rogan as well as some clips from Rogan's show about BJJ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfbzGXcFZ0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tp7LP6ciU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDZZ5qZc6Dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTgNoOX4MFA
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Got to roll with Royce today. Tried to use the floppy fish technique, but I couldn't get him to bite. He must have been studying my videos or something...

Anyway, it was an awesome class. As he was 20 years ago, he is VERY technical, and was able to improve a lot of what I was doing. Small tweaks that really helped, especially since everyone I rolled with today was 100# or more over my body weight. I don't get star struck easily, but I grew up watching him in the early UFC's, and few guys have a warrior family tradition like his. Incredibly skilled, even on top of his natural attributes.

We then got to go to the range. He's a solid shooter, and loves guns. I got invited to shoot a steel challenge match with him and a few other guys this weekend, so more exciting times in the immediate future.

This was a short, LE focused class, but one of these days, I'd really like to spend a week training with him. This class also introduced me to a good bunch of guys not too far from me who train at a Gracie Jiu jitsu school, so I may be able to more regularly roll as well. Good day all around.
    Not gonna lie, very envious right now.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not gonna lie, very envious right now.
    I'm not gonna lie, I've been pretty juiced for the last few days. My wife says I just look happier than normal:-)

We shot a Steel Challenge match with a great bunch of local LE shooters and Royce yesterday. Found a babysitter for the kids and the wife and I made a nice day of it. Really a great weekend all around.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I've been pretty juiced for the last few days. My wife says I just look happier than normal:-)

We shot a Steel Challenge match with a great bunch of local LE shooters and Royce yesterday. Found a babysitter for the kids and the wife and I made a nice day of it. Really a great weekend all around.
    I spent the weekend fixing a mower
    #RESIST

Brazilian jiu jitsu or Krav Maga

Blah. Tapatalk posted an irrelevant old draft, disregard.
    Last edited by orionz06; 05-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

That is very cool. The first time I met Royler Gracie at our school I just kept thinking "Holy crap, that's a real, live Gracie!" Pretty neat to be around someone who's one of the best living practitioners of your art and part of it's history. Meanwhile he was joshing around with the kids, who wanted to know if the black and red belt meant he was the best 😀
    Another random thought on BJJ: just learning to deal with the pressure and claustrophobia of being on bottom is huge. A solid, active mount or side control can make you seriously reconsider your life choices. At ECQC I got mounted, panicked, and got my ass kicked. Now I've spent so much time under pressure that it's second nature. I may or may not escape, but my panic threshold is WAY higher.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

User Tag List