Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taser and mag placement

Site Supporter

Taser and mag placement

Yesterday, I was eating lunch at the greasy dive with other old farts. There was a table of Sheriffs chowing down. They were about 6 feet away and I noticed that they had Glocks in Serpas and tasers. The thing that caught my eye was that the extra mags were in front of the Glock. Some had vertical pouches and some had horizontal.

Is this standard? It's really not standard for the old farts - Glocks on side and mags opposite but we don't carry all that stuff.

Just curious. How do you train for quick reloads in that configuration? I don't recall it on officers I saw in duty rigs at the matches.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Yesterday, I was eating lunch at the greasy dive with other old farts. There was a table of Sheriffs chowing down. They were about 6 feet away and I noticed that they had Glocks in Serpas and tasers. The thing that caught my eye was that the extra mags were in front of the Glock. Some had vertical pouches and some had horizontal.

Is this standard? It's really not standard for the old farts - Glocks on side and mags opposite but we don't carry all that stuff.

Just curious. How do you train for quick reloads in that configuration? I don't recall it on officers I saw in duty rigs at the matches.
    Horizontal pouches, strong side on a duty belt can work with the mags oriented so the bullets face up but support side, bullets to the front is faster. Plus what do you do when you're not wearing a duty belt ?

Carrying the Taser on the off side is to avoid confusing the taser and the firearm, it has happened. The taser on the support side does not preclude a support side reload.

Our local SO shoots about 100 rounds of handgun ammo 1x per year. Their range guys do the best they can with what they have. Those Deputies who are motivated shoot and train on their own. The rest are motivated to qualify so they can continue to work overtime and side jobs.

Our local PD gets significantly more rounds per year and more actual training.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.

Horizontal is what all the cool guys and fat kids do. Fat kids do it so their taco pouch doesn't get poked and chafed by the magazine base plates. Otherwise it's just a good way to circumvent that free stuff called gravity, that helps keep duty gear in vertically oriented pouches.

Site Supporter
    I was wondering about the same side mag reload - put the gun back in the holster? Switch hands or what?

I ain't slim and use vertical mag pouches. And I do like tacos.

At Rogers shooting school they recommend that in addition to the support side reloads
    you should have one magazine forward of the holster to facilitate a strong hand only
    reload should your support hand become disabled.

Site Supporter
    Makes sense. When I broke my strong hand wrist years ago, I did that. Gun and mag on the nondominant side. I was very clever. I broke the wrist just in time for a class on disabled shooters. So I got that down.

My mags are vertical just to the left of centerline. I can get to em with either hand. We have a couple skinny guys who carry their mags vertical just to the right of centerline and don't have any issues getting the mags out. Tasers have to be carried on non-dominant side so really skinny guys run outta room over on that side pretty quick when you add in a radio.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    At Rogers shooting school they recommend that in addition to the support side reloads you should have one magazine forward of the holster to facilitate a strong hand only
    reload should your support hand become disabled.
    Also taught by Dave Harrington.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I'm a Taser instructor and strongly believe in less lethal options. That said, Tasers work effectively about 50 to 60% of the time. To my mind, it's foolish to reposition spare magazines to better access a less-lethal weapon that we can now use in a limited number of circumstances and that has a significant chance of failure. While we've had some quick on the draw Taser deployments, we train to wait for the arrival of back-up, if possible, before deploying the Taser.

We also mandate support side carry if worn on the belt. We also authorize drop holsters for the Taser. Weight Watchers isn't looking for me to do their TV commercials, but I carry my X2 in a drop rig.

Other hand draw taser....easy fix.

I get into with guys all the time who position their mags to get jammed up during reload, which they never practice.

User Tag List