Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Comic Books

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Favorite Comic Books

Whilst idling Sunday night away, I discovered comiXology, and had either a minor seizure, or a nerdgasm, I'm not sure which. Marvel comics, especially X-Men, are the only comic book titles I've ever sat down and read (Marvel has their own digital service; $10 a month, all you can read).

I had always wanted to read a wider variety of comics, but the time and effort (...and money) of tracking down the actual books, and filling in the various holes in the story, were enough to keep me from doing it. So now that there is easy access to a huge number of books, I'm curious: what are y'all's favorite titles, characters, and story arcs?

ETA: I read "Black Powder, Red Earth", which was amazeballs (and ironically, not available on comiXology). I got "The Activity" last night, and it's a little 'meh' at the moment, but maybe it picks up.
    Last edited by Chance; 04-04-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    When I was a kid I read Sgt. Rock.

some of my favorites back in the old days were, Boris the Bear, Omaha the Cat Dancer, Hellblazer, Sandman, Swampthing, Lucifer
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Sgt Rock, Weird War, The Haunted Tank, and Jonah Hex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

From childhood until now The Punisher series has been my favorite. The recent Mitch Gerads run was a really good series and I think he did Frank Castle justice. Mitch Gerads also does "The Activity" and "Sheriff of Babylon" too, which are titles I think folks here would enjoy. I've also been getting into "Thief of Thieves". Preacher and Deadpool are characters I enjoy too but don't regularly follow. The best part about comics is going to a shop, browsing the racks, and finding odd and interesting new stories to read.
    Last edited by MD7305; 04-04-2016 at 12:47 PM.

My colleague is a big comic nerd. I admit, growing up I wasn't much into comic books, but these days I like them more than I used to. I also admit that like guns, I'm kind of a comic book hipster - For the most part I prefer independent labels over mainstream Marvel/DC exceptions being Batman, Deadpool, Jonah Hex.

Some favorites:

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Rises
    Judge Dredd
    Jonah Hex
    The Last of Us
    Deadpool
    The Vigilante
    The Shadow
    The Phantom

Lately, I've been reading a new series Devolution which is okay. But also I've been getting into The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I too have a comiXology account and my subscriptions right now are for Borderlands The Fall of Fyrestone, The Shadow Vol. 2, DeVolution, Judge Dredd.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-04-2016 at 01:29 PM.

Huh! I always kinda liked Donald Duck. Huey, Dewey and Louie were good too.

The only monthlies I've ever bought were a particular Star Wars title many years ago so I can't say I'm big into comics.

Favorite is hands down Preacher, which AMC is adapting right now. Not sure how I feel about that but I'm interested.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is pretty twisted and I love the art

When I was in high school I loved shit like Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Lenore. Less so these days now that I'm a grownup (allegedly) but they're still pretty fun.

Only recent one I've read is "The White Donkey", by the guy who does Terminal Lance (any recent prior service guys ought to be familiar and if you're not, you're wrong). TWD was not exactly what I expected, but I would recommend it. Particularly to those who are close to veterans.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Huh! I always kinda liked Donald Duck. Huey, Dewey and Louie were good too.
    I preferred the Warner cartoons, Bugs and Road Runner, etc. Pepe la Pew cracked up my Mother so bad she feared being thrown out of the theater.
    Pinky and the Brain were great.

The back of Tarzan comic books had a series of underground kingdom adventures I liked better than the main Tarzan story.

Current computer comics, I follow Schlock Mercenary, Girl Genius, Freefall, and Day by Day.

I'm rather fond of DC's stand alone books- it's difficult and expensive to follow anything here on a regular basis.
    I love some of the classic Batman books, such as Miller's "Dark Knight Returns" and Moore's "Killing Joke".
    Waid and Ross's "Kingdom Come" is perhaps one of my absolute all time favorites. Alex Ross is one of the best artist around, and the story matches the art in that book.
    His "Justice" book is also pretty cool.
    "Superman- Red Son", where Superman's ship lands in the 1930's Ukraine is pretty interesting.

Outside of the DCU, I'm rather fond of "Transmetropolitan". Appeals to the Hunter S Thompson fan in me.

User Tag List