Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lefty reload question...

Typically use LH trigger finger own slide release. Most of my LH work assumes a damaged RH, having had my right in a cast several times. This has worked with 1911, Glocks 26,19,17, 20, 29, 21,30, HKs P2000SK, P30,HK45, USP45, MK23. I train also to rack slide on gear, belt etc...
    If you are normally left handed slingshot works well.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartglock View Post
    Since I didn't say it in my first post, typically I use the overhand method. I've tried the right-index-finger-under-the-trigger-guard-hits-slide-release method before but not enough to be comfortable. I'll be the first to admit my dry reload practice needs more work.
    Since I am new to shooting, I've rented a bunch of pistols, and I've always used the overhand method also.

Being a lefty, with stubby fingers, I don't always find the right hand side slide release easy to release. I've tried the slingshot method also.

The overhand method also works well for my 5'2" wife, who has even smaller hands. Plus, she can drive the gun while ripping the slide.

I will say the charging supports on my VP9 get somewhat overlooked by the gun cogniscenti, but for me, they work extremely well in getting a good grip on the slide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    That seems to me a strange logic to base your training on. I mean, if it's not your gun it's not your grip size, grip angle, sights, POA/POI, magazine release, etc either. You'll just have to make due as best you can. Do you ignore the best way to pull your guns trigger too, because it might not work the same way with someone else's gun?

I do understand the idea of maintaining familiarity with guns other than yours, in case you might end up needing to use one. But shouldn't the majority of your training be oriented towards what works best for you, using your own gun? Isn't that the gun you are most likely to use in a serious situation?
    I think there is the thinking about being the best shooter/fighter/etc that you can be and that path probably rolls down the road with the single weapon kind/variety/etc and there is the thinking about being a student of weapons/weaponcraft and being able to run everything, maybe not as good. I've been to several classes where students trade guns and do X.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    That seems to me a strange logic to base your training on. I mean, if it's not your gun it's not your grip size, grip angle, sights, POA/POI, magazine release, etc either. You'll just have to make due as best you can. Do you ignore the best way to pull your guns trigger too, because it might not work the same way with someone else's gun?

I do understand the idea of maintaining familiarity with guns other than yours, in case you might end up needing to use one. But shouldn't the majority of your training be oriented towards what works best for you, using your own gun? Isn't that the gun you are most likely to use in a serious situation?
    I think he meant if he had to fight with something besides a handgun...like an actual slingshot and the value in, you know, "muscle memory" of the sling shooting action.
    A71593

As an unrepentant southpaw, the only two guns I've been able to reliably use the slide release on have been a full sized 1911 and a Sig P239. Every other bottom feeder gets an overhand slingshot.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by iheartglock View Post
    ....how do you southpaws do it?? Specifically, slide lock reload, new magazine already inserted. Did some searching and I'm coming up pretty empty on the subject.

I have been racking the slide because I can't hit the slide release consistently and when I do, it basically takes an eternity. Racking the slide also feels like it takes an eternity. I know that hitting the release would be faster, would an extended/forward extended slide release be worth trying? If not, what do you weirdo lefties (and knowledgeable rightys) recommend to a fellow weirdo lefty?

Stock Gen4 G19, if that matters.
    Lefty Glock shooter!? You HAVE to get the Ghost Bullet Forward Extended Mag Release! I wouldn't run a Glock without it now!

http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...bat-Black.html
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 01-11-2016 at 10:19 PM.

I'm left handed, and Glocks are my primary handgun choice.

On all my Glocks I have the extended slide stop. When I reload, I place my trigger finger on top of the slide stop and hold it there. As I slam the magazine home, it pushes the gun up into my hand, which drops the slide. I do not push the slide stop down with my finger. (In the beginning I did, and soon I realized that 1) it wasn't necessary--if I did a correct reload the magazine slamming home was sufficient to drive the gun up into my hand, and 2) if you are in the habit of pressing down, you will occasionally do so when the magazine isn't seated yet. Since I have switched, I have not had a single instance of dropping the slide without a round in the chamber.) According to my shot timer, my slidelock reload is about .1 to .2 slower than my regular reload. My guns do not auto-forward at all---if my finger isn't on top of the slidestop and I don't push the gun up into it, the slide will not go forward.

YMMV, of course. But I use this in USPSA, IDPA, and for everything else. Did it in front of Tom Givens, and he didn't have anything to say. (Maybe he was humoring me? Possibly! )

As for: "I think there is the thinking about being the best shooter/fighter/etc that you can be and that path probably rolls down the road with the single weapon kind/variety/etc and there is the thinking about being a student of weapons/weaponcraft and being able to run everything, maybe not as good. I've been to several classes where students trade guns and do X. "

....I am personally thinking that not only is it unlikely that I'll be picking up random weapons and needing them, but it is even less likely that if I do so, I'll need to reload them. And far less likely than that is the case where upon need said reload for a gun that wasn't mine in the first place that I just picked up, that there will magically be another magazine for it available to me.

YMMV there of course, too.

I note that there isn't anything stopping me from also practicing an overhand or slingshot racking of the weapon, and since those are things we practice for other purposes, I don't feel I'm going to run into any huge problem getting the slide to go forward if it ever occurs that I pick up a gun that doesn't belong to me, shoot it dry, and have another magazine for it available that I'm going to need to use.

I must confess I don't understand why people don't use as a primary method the techniques that are optimal for their weapon choice. After all, it isn't like we don't practice secondary methods also.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    As an unrepentant southpaw, the only two guns I've been able to reliably use the slide release on have been a full sized 1911 and a Sig P239. Every other bottom feeder gets an overhand slingshot.
    I've found HK USP full size and compact slide stops are also very left hand friendly, as are 3rd Gen S&W's. HK P7 is also LH friendly since the squeeze cocker releases the slide.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Lefty Glock shooter!? You HAVE to get the Ghost Bullet Forward Extended Mag Release! I wouldn't run a Glock without it now!

http://www.ghostinc.com/product/GHO_...bat-Black.html
    Same here.

I have longish fingers, so I can hit the slide lock lever with the tips of my RH fingers when I seat the mag on my 1911 guns. Haven't worked with the Glock enough to learn if that's viable. Not happening on the Shield. Gotta overhand that beast.

With another trip to TR not far off, I'm now reverting back to overhand on all guns. Don't want to draw undue attention upon my person. it's slower but it is universal and positive.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List