Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lefty reload question...

Lefty reload question...

....how do you southpaws do it?? Specifically, slide lock reload, new magazine already inserted. Did some searching and I'm coming up pretty empty on the subject.

I have been racking the slide because I can't hit the slide release consistently and when I do, it basically takes an eternity. Racking the slide also feels like it takes an eternity. I know that hitting the release would be faster, would an extended/forward extended slide release be worth trying? If not, what do you weirdo lefties (and knowledgeable rightys) recommend to a fellow weirdo lefty?

Stock Gen4 G19, if that matters.

Short answer: I'm right handed, but have invested some in left-handed methodology, and pinch-racking with a positive triggerfinger index is my preference for such.

Replying more towards left-handed slide operation of stock-configuration pistols:

Rolling the weapon 90' inboard, to reach the bladed right hand over to actuate controls is rarely optimal, though sometimes essential. In example, decocking Sig Classic-line pistols usually calls for that or doing a thumb-over with the web of the hand against the top of the slide. Having good indexing points may be a tad more difficult, as it's the off-hand doing all of this. The index-finger in high-register can both get in the way of accessing controls and beneficially block entry into the trigger guard. Those with consisten triggerfinger indexing can index their actuating thumb or index finger against that in turn; notionally there's some proprioceptive advantage there, but it circles back to the issue of occlusion by the same.

Over-hand racking with the right hand can have many of the same issues as with the right-handed, as far as malfunction clearance goes.

Pinch-racking works equally well for left-handed malf clearance, reloading, and unloading; it also has the relative advantage of naturally orienting the ejection port downwards.

I have been LH all my like and have been shooting handguns for 44 years. I have 28+ years as an LEO. I was around when IPSC/USPSA and IDPA started and have competed in both. When I shot a 1911, I used a slingshot technique to chamber a round after an emergency reload. I used my trigger finger to decock the Sig P228/P229 pistols I carried my last eight years as an LEO. Now I shoot mostly GLOCK pistols, G17, G19, G34, and G43. I use the overhand method (taco hold) to pull the slide to the rear. I keep the pistol butt pointed at the ground once I seat the magazine and snatch the slide to the rear using the overhand method, right palm on right side, right fingers on the left side, until the slide slips through my fingers. Then I resume my two handed grip, verify the front sight and let her rip.

I have HKs (mostly) specifically because i'm a lefty and wanted to use the slide release lever. However after a couple years I decided to practice and train doing it slingshot, because what if it's not my gun I have to fight with?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I am also wrong handed and carry a Gen 4 G19 when off duty. Mine is set up with a Glock extended slide stop lever. After seating the magazine, I reach underneath the trigger guard and press the slide stop lever with the index finger of my right hand. I've tried using my left index finger in conjunction with a couple of different after market slide stop levers but I was inconsistent with everything I tried. When using a Glock with the standard factory slide stop lever, I charge the pistol by using the slide as the standard lever is too low profile for me to hit consistently. Hope this helps.

Well, I'm left handed....

The Glock (or at least the Glock's I own) don't auto forward for me with enough consistency to depend on it....

I have put a little effort into staging my trigger finger...about at the joint closest to the rest of my hand atop the slide release (extended slide release) and when I insert the mag it sends the slide home. But I have inadvertently sent the slide home prematurely.

So for now I grasp the slide.

There are two ways to do this FAST!

One, rotate your palm from inward to outward after you've insert the mag you are in line to go straight up and overhand grasp and release the slide....

Or two, hand is inward, after insertion pinch the slide with the thumb and fore finger forward of the ejection port and send home. Here is a video of me doing a slide lock reload like this. I have never done one before with this particular pistol and hadn't shot a compact Glock in about 10 years. This was like rounds 2-7 ever fired with it. I do have an issue with the insertion of the mag though...

https://youtu.be/1R45Kf4z2ts?t=34s

As stated above, reaching underneath and hitting the slide release is an option too.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 01-11-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    I am right handed but taken several classes and dry practiced a bunch with my other strong hand; I shoot Glocks.

Trigger finger hits the mag release, new mag inserted, and slide is racked with the right hand. The only difference right handed is the thumb hits the mag release and the other strong hand racks the slide.

Hitting the slide lock lever is faster right handed but not constant between sides so I train to rack the slide. I often under stress default to slide release because that is how I first trained it (a lot).
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 01-11-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Well, I'm left handed....

The Glock (or at least the Glock's I own) don't auto forward for me with enough consistency to depend on it....

I have put a little effort into staging my trigger finger...about at the joint closest to the rest of my hand atop the slide release (extended slide release) and when I insert the mag it sends the slide home. But I have inadvertently sent the slide home prematurely.

So for now I grasp the slide.

There are two ways to do this FAST!

One, rotate your palm from inward to outward after you've insert the mag you are in line to go straight up and overhand grasp and release the slide....

Or two, hand is inward, after insertion pinch the slide with the thumb and fore finger forward of the ejection port and send home. Here is a video of me doing a slide lock reload like this. I have never done one before with this particular pistol and hadn't shot a compact Glock in about 10 years. This was like rounds 2-7 ever fired with it. I do have an issue with the insertion of the mag though...

https://youtu.be/1R45Kf4z2ts?t=34s

As stated above, reaching underneath and hitting the slide release is an option too.

That is definitely interesting, I've never seen it done that way. I could see myself losing finger meat in the ejection port though. Might be worth trying out on my end.
    Last edited by iheartglock; 01-11-2016 at 03:52 PM. Reason: screwed up quote

Since I didn't say it in my first post, typically I use the overhand method. I've tried the right-index-finger-under-the-trigger-guard-hits-slide-release method before but not enough to be comfortable. I'll be the first to admit my dry reload practice needs more work.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I have HKs (mostly) specifically because i'm a lefty and wanted to use the slide release lever. However after a couple years I decided to practice and train doing it slingshot, because what if it's not my gun I have to fight with?
    That seems to me a strange logic to base your training on. I mean, if it's not your gun it's not your grip size, grip angle, sights, POA/POI, magazine release, etc either. You'll just have to make due as best you can. Do you ignore the best way to pull your guns trigger too, because it might not work the same way with someone else's gun?

I do understand the idea of maintaining familiarity with guns other than yours, in case you might end up needing to use one. But shouldn't the majority of your training be oriented towards what works best for you, using your own gun? Isn't that the gun you are most likely to use in a serious situation?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List