Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex in the Arizona Heat

Kydex in the Arizona Heat

So what do you do with kydex holsters when you have to leave your gun in the car in mid July in AZ? Ive got to unheel when I get to work. I'm a little hesitant to leave my holster in my vehicle.

I don't live in Arizona, but I do live in Texas.

I've left plenty of kydex in the car in the summer - different holsters (IWB and OWB) in different thicknesses (.080 to .125) without any ill effects. I employ sunshades and I leave my windows cracked a half inch or so... and that's if the holster is in there or not. As always, YMMV.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

I live in Mesa, AZ and have had zero problems with Kydex (Blade-Tech) holsters left in the car in the summer heat. Obviously, they are not left in the direct sunlight where they can be seen from the outside of the vehicle, for more reasons than one.

I'm in Tempe and only carry Kydex (JM Custom and Raven)...no isses, even when I've left it in a glove box or under a seat in the heat of the day

Thicker kydex will resist warping better than the thin stuff.

Keep it out of direct sun and ventilate your ride and you ought to be fine. If you are really worried, get a small cooler, a tough Mylar zip bag and a cold pack. Bag up your blaster and put it n the cooler. The cold pack probably isn't necessary, a cold liter bottle of water would suffice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the advice.

I had a cheap ass Comp-Tac deform when left in my car in Ohio. I didn't think that it should have deformed and they didn't back their product. I guess it just depends. Buy quality stuff.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 09-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I had a cheap ass Comp-Tac deform when left in my car in Ohio. I didn't think that it should have deformed and they didn't back their product. I guess it just depends. Buy quality stuff.
    I've seen the warning that Comp-Tac puts out in regards to holsters in hot cars. Funny thing though, all the other holster companies I've dealt with (JM, RCS, CCC, Blade-tech, etc.) have never said anything about excessive heat damaging holsters. In Florida, I never had any issues with my RCS or CCC holsters deforming when left in the car. I just cracked the windows and the holster/gun stayed in my Maxpedition bag in the trunk when I couldn't carry it someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I've seen the warning that Comp-Tac puts out in regards to holsters in hot cars. Funny thing though, all the other holster companies I've dealt with (JM, RCS, CCC, Blade-tech, etc.) have never said anything about excessive heat damaging holsters. In Florida, I never had any issues with my RCS or CCC holsters deforming when left in the car. I just cracked the windows and the holster/gun stayed in my Maxpedition bag in the trunk when I couldn't carry it someplace.
    I no longer buy nor recommend Comp-Tac. I find better quality in Raven, Bravo Concealment, and Garret Industries.

Not a good idea. I have ruined a mag pouch that way (I live in Vegas, so it's a similar climate). If you absolutely HAVE to leave the holster in the car (don't), wait for it to come down to room temp or so before putting the gun back into the holster.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

User Tag List