Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The value of unarmed hand to hand training?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroptsdown View Post
    There are 7 guys in our Dojo/gym.

In terms of serious injuries we have had a cracked rib on the one guy and damaged knee ligaments on the other guy.

I personally have had cracked ribs, but generally its heavily bruised ribs that take two to three weeks to come right, but the worst has been my wrist injury... after three years its still not 100% right.

Unfortunately it's more than one person contributing to the problems.

But I'm not sure if I am over reacting?

We do a lot of groundwork, at least once a week, so we do train in that aspect, it's specifically Judo groundwork, which if i'm not mistaken BJJ is based on.

One of the reasons I have continued to train there is because I am getting all three aspects covered, striking, clinch and groundwork.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    We have found that most of the injuries are related to new people who don't yet have proper control or injure themselves due to inexperience (i.e.- wrist, thumb, foot, elbow, knee, etc.)
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    We have found that most of the injuries are related to new people who don't yet have proper control or injure themselves due to inexperience (i.e.- wrist, thumb, foot, elbow, knee, etc.)
    Cody
    I'm not a fan of this perspective. I'm pretty darn low speed, but have had the good fortune to train with some wonderful folks on the H2H and firearms fronts and indeed do a lot of entry level teaching of both H2H and firearm skills. In the H2H world my casual observation is that you are lucky if 75 percent of your new students are there a year later, and I'd say fewer than 1 in 10 basic class students show up for more advanced firearm training. Tossing student injuries into that mix only makes those ratios worse. As such my primary concerns for the first 3 months or so are A). Give my students a basic game they can apply with a modicum of unconscious competence and B). Keep them from doing stupid things that get them injured. Note I said "injured" not hurt. Taking lumps is part of learning. Debilitating lumps detract from learning; a good instructor needs to work hard to minimize that likelihood for reasons of retention if nothing else.
    "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters."

Frank Lloyd Wright

I think point 2 of BaiHu post is the most likely case.
    My Sensei is in his 70's & grew up in East Germany & moved here (SA) 40 years ago.
    He has a 4th Dan in Shotokan & 3rd Dan Judo & Ju Jitsu, but definitely a school of hard knocks guy.
    I have a green belt in Goju Ru & current purple belt in Shotokan, we also graded in Judo & Ju Jitsu, so not exactly an expert, but not really a novice.
    Been great reading everyone's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Hmm, small group and is it safe to surmise not a lot of leadership? Sounds like either testosterone poisoning or, if you are the new guy or something, the low guys on the totem pole gets used as an ambulatory heavy bag. I think rather than stop training you should be looking for a place that can tell the difference between sore and injured.
    Yip I'm the lowest rank in the class...
    But the again some of the other guys have had injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Thanks dude. I try to engage where I can (hopefully) add something to the conversation. I will try to step up a bit more.
    Only our near 8,000 member forum will benefit from that
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 09-21-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    #RESIST

I'm always glad to see Cecil post too.

From my own perspective: I'm no big BJJ guy, and am not very good at it. But I have done enough that it has made an absolutely night and day difference for me. There is a really really huge difference between someone with no grappling skill and someone with a little bit of grappling skill. Even my very low level of skill has kept me from being summarily dominated on the ground a number of times (in the informal screwing around context as well as the training environment - it sure served me well in ECQC.)
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm always glad to see Cecil post too.

From my own perspective: I'm no big BJJ guy, and am not very good at it. But I have done enough that it has made an absolutely night and day difference for me. There is a really really huge difference between someone with no grappling skill and someone with a little bit of grappling skill. Even my very low level of skill has kept me from being summarily dominated on the ground a number of times (in the informal screwing around context as well as the training environment - it sure served me well in ECQC.)
    My eye opening moment was when I was actively attending a school and saw the guys rolling around and working through the problem with calm expressions on their faces.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    working through the problem with calm expressions on their faces.
    That is an incredibly powerful benefit, I think even at a basic level of BJJ training.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

It always worries me when I hear people involved in martial arts training describing their injuries.

Zero, the problem training everything at once is that you become a master of none. Prior to my run in professional MMA, I trained Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu exclusively for about four years. I participated in tournaments and added in pieces to my game while working up to amateur MMA fights. By the time I stepped into the cage as an amateur I was already at purple belt level so I only needed enough wrestling to get guys to the ground where they would eventually drown. If I had jumped in on day one training "MMA," (like most of the guys I fought as an amateur) I wouldn't be anywhere near the fighter I've become. It's too general, you miss all of the "little things" when you don't dedicate the time to each discipline.

After about seven years I decided to add boxing as my next discipline to master due to my long arms I felt comfortable keeping my opponent at bay. If they managed to close the distance it worked to my favor since I really wanted to grapple with them anyway. Of course with MMA I needed to understand certain aspects of wrestling and Muay Thai, but I used those pieces to enhance my Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing, not replace. Point being, don't try to do too much at once. Roll, roll, roll, until you can hold a conversation while allowing your body to move on its own. In BJJ you should be able to roll 5 minute rounds back to back to back... There were sessions I'd go 90 minutes straight with a new partner each round. Not muscling submissions or sweeps leads to more practice, less injuries and better technique/endurance.

My recommendation would be to find a pure Jiu-Jitsu academy where the head instructor is at least brown belt, preferably black. Learn the art and master the basics. No one wins fights with flashy, twisting, flying arm locks of doom. We win fights with basic armbars, guillotines and rear naked chokes. The art provides you the ability to setup those basic submissions with your tactics of positional dominance. Jiu-Jitsu will always be my recommendation for hand to hand training (at least at first) because that's the end game.. They all end up on the ground, especially if it's a bigger guy trying to muscle you around.

Hand to hand training is absolutely necessary because having the knowledge and experience immediately gives you the advantage and confidence to deal with the situation. What if you pull that gun out and the guy took a few wrestling classes in school? Believe it or not that little advantage can make a world of difference vs someone who doesn't have any basic knowledge of grappling. I actually agree with not carrying a defensive knife if you do not know how to use one. That's another skill to master in itself...

Good luck and hopefully this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Only our near 8,000 member forum will benefit from that

I am being ganged up on!!

I will be more active. I am always hesitant doing so on a forum like this partly because it is obviously a pistol-centric board, and there are literally tons of folks here who can shoot rings around me. So I took the idea that the best place for me was to stay in my lane, stay somewhat quiet and absorb all the excellent info that I get here. The other reason being that I have had a lot of situations where posting H2H stuff on a gun forum garnered me the reaction that I was doing a neo-nazi salute in a synagogue. I learned years ago to generally shut up about it. In fact, when I first went on TPI, I lurked for about 6 months before I posted, and when I did make the first post, I held my breath in how it would go. Fortunately, that worked out quite well!

I am really grateful that this board is so welcoming to some of the things I have a little knowledge of, and I will be more pro-active. I promise. It will be nice to pay back a little of the info in payment for what I have taken away from here.

User Tag List