Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is 2,000 rounds the magic number?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Would doing a 2K round challenge on a well fit 1911/2011 be a bad idea? With some what tighter clearances being metal/metal?

Edit to clarify, would you do one to a $3,000 1911/2011?
    Have done will do again.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Would doing a 2K round challenge on a well fit 1911/2011 be a bad idea? With some what tighter clearances being metal/metal?

I'd be very upset if I paid that much for a pistol and it failed to pass the 2K challenge.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

What, like this?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Excellent. Thanks for the links (JSGlock34) to Todd's two reliability articles. Totally answers my questions. Thanks.
    Last edited by 314159; 09-16-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: clarity

I compete, I carry and train. After I shoot my carry I give it a quick clean and lube check. I want a clearly clean barrel and feed ramp/cylinder face if only to prove in case there is an event that occurs near me that I didn't use it.
    My competition guns don't always get a once over right away but they get one before they go again. 2000 rounds without failure is cool and it's nice to know my weapon can do it. Last time I did it I found out that my lube of choice became a sticky paste [frog lube] that retarded slide movement and lead to failure. Good to know.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 09-16-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Another factor is how much and how fast. A thousand rounds in a row is different than 100 rounds, let the gun cool... Three mags worth at a time is sufficient, who carries more than three magazines worth.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 09-16-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    No basis for the 2K number. It's just his arbitrary opinion and everyone takes it as gospel.

Whatever.......
    What he said. If I had to put $600-700 worth of ammo through a gun before I could "trust" it for carry, I would never try another gun.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

I've done it with every one of my guns since Todd posted this. Once I decide on my Infinity pistol, it's going to be expected to pass this test. $6,000 better friggin run like a top, a really really expensive top
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    What he said. If I had to put $600-700 worth of ammo through a gun before I could "trust" it for carry, I would never try another gun.
    Even Todd doesn't say that. The "Is it reliable article?" suggests 500 rounds may be sufficient to evaluate a firearm for initial carry.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-17-2015 at 06:54 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

With my luck, on round 2,000 I'd have a failure and need to start all over again.

Short Story:

A couple of years ago, the entire department was issued new Glocks (G17gen4 from a G22gen3). We shot 50 rounds for qualification; cleaned our guns; holstered them; and hit the street. My issued gun now has ~3,600 rounds through it; but I clean my guns after each time I shoot them; sometimes I'lll clean my guns even if I haven't shot them.

This particular G17gen4 wasn't passing Glock's recoil spring test until I hit ~2,000 rounds, however. Changing the RSA didn't help at the time of issue. I don't know if the RSA "broke in"; the "pig-nose" of the frame's dustcover wore in; or something else. It's ok now though. Just for yucks, it would pass the RSA test if I put a G22gen4 RSA in. Otherwise, the new G17gen4 shot all 50 of those first rounds without incident. I can't see the department affording the time and ammo to shoot 2,000 rounds through each issued Glock. Some are issued two or three Glocks, depending on assignment, too.

Our department qualifies with 50 rounds each time, twice/year. It would take 20 years to hit 2,000 rounds. I imagine many of the old G22gen3's turned in only had ~that round count on them.
    ----------
    Putting 2,000 rounds through a gun before carry is still a good idea, it's just not always practical or what get's done. Practically, can I get through my 18 rounds already in that gun? Can I get through 52 rounds (three mags +1) which is all I'd have on me (not including a backup gun)? Can I get through 2,000 rounds (higher limit which might be shot in a class)?

I still like the idea of cleaning after each range session, no matter how small of a round count.

Edited to add a thought:
    I don't have one of these, but I recall the Kimber "Pro" models, which is its name for 4" barreled 1911 models, recommended an RSA change at 800 rounds; it's 3" "Ultra" models at 1800 rounds. See page 7.
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/media/w...ad/Compact.pdf

If the gun hiccups because of an RSA, does this mean the gun fails when the manufacturer already said to replace the RSA prior to 2,000 rounds? What if the grip screws loosen? Can we tighten them without installing an o-ring or does the gun fail? Or does the gun pass because it's not a stoppage?
    Last edited by L-2; 09-17-2015 at 09:05 AM.

User Tag List