Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is 2,000 rounds the magic number?

Why is 2,000 rounds the magic number?

How was 2000 rounds arrived at as a reliability goal? Following a brief read of the 2000 round challenge rules, I did NOT see the claim that this was the gateway through which any serious pistol choice must pass.

Therefore, is this just some kind of bragging rights for your pistol to have?

Perhaps it is the result of an industry Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) standard that isn't mentioned.

Either way is totally cool, I just want to know which it might be.

It is entirely possible that a pistol which would only run 500 rounds under the rules could be considered as a reliable carry piece for serious purposes. Perhaps with a proviso that it should be cleaned and lubricated every 500 rounds/3 months which ever comes first sort of procedure. That would not be an onerous requirement for even a quite large organization or individual.

It is also possible that testing and experience has shown that the 2000 round limit stresses the design to a point that serious reliability/durability/maintainability issues are plainly exposed.

I'd just like to know if I'm bragging or evaluating here.

I have not had an issue with a Glock in more than 100,000 rounds ( total for all Glocks owned ) but I made a living doing precision mechanical work and I believe in Preventative Maintenance.

I think there is something to your point. Newer designs will go 2000+ rounds without any lube/cleaning. But an older design that will go 500 plus/minus and then a quick clean and a few drops of oil and is G2G is OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    How was 2000 rounds arrived at as a reliability goal? Following a brief read of the 2000 round challenge rules, I did NOT see the claim that this was the gateway through which any serious pistol choice must pass.
    It was a guess. Nothing more.

I do my own evaluation based on my own criteria, which is just as objective as the arbitrary 2000 number, and drive on.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Perhaps it is the result of an industry Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) standard that isn't mentioned.
    As a data point, I noticed the current XM17 Modular Handgun System RFP specifies a 2,000rd MTBF.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I recommend reading Todd's articles, "What is RELIABLE?" and "Is It Reliable?" since he started the 2,000 round challenge thread (here and elsewhere).

"My personal threshold for long-term reliability is 2,000 Mean Rounds Between Stoppages."
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I just thought a cool pet trick and ran 3 guns through with flying colors. 2010 Gen 4 G17 and 19 and a M&P Pro.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I recommend reading Todd's articles, "What is RELIABLE?" and "Is It Reliable?" since he started the 2,000 round challenge thread (here and elsewhere).
    Thank you for those links! I was totally stumped trying to dig them up the other day.

Better yet why no lube??? I can see not cleaning it for endurance but no lube just wears out parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Better yet why no lube??? I can see not cleaning it for endurance but no lube just wears out parts.
    Lube the bejeezus out of it before you start.

User Tag List