Page 175 of 178 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1774

Thread: Lever Guns

It’s not that I like the bright brass, it’s just that I find it less unappealing than dull brass.😁.

My understanding is Henry’s “brass” is a tinted clear coat rather than brass plating. Henry sells the covers separate so I can get a brassie at a good price and then order a blued saddle ring cover for it. Might be fun to strip one to the base alloy and try some different chemical case color treatments and see what happens.

This thread and a couple in the revolver forum are really making it difficult for me to stay focused…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Never liked brass for firearms , weaker than steel, about the same weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Never liked brass for firearms , weaker than steel, about the same weight.
    Yeah but....nobody chooses an 1866 because its "better" in some way than another antiquated design from the mid-late 1800s, like say an 1873. People choose 1866s because they are 1866s.

Rather like people choose Colt SAAs because they are Colt SAAs*, not because of any inherent advantage it has over another revolver. Theres definitely a difference in feel between an SAA and a Ruger, but thats not exactly the same as a quantifiable diffrence that adds up to "better" in black and white terms, though the feel may in fact be a significant reason some people like them over some other make/model.

*or quality copies

The Passion of the Gun thread brought up the differences between what people like vs what they or others may feel is "better" in some way. The passion for some may be that their chosen blaster IS "better" but for many others, its about what you like and fires you up inside to look at, handle and shoot them. Absolutely nothing with plastic incorporated into its being has the remotest particle of interest to me compared to an 1866 carbine. That could probably safely be broadened to most so called modern firearms. rather than fight it, I embrace it. Ill go shoot things I really like, not so much things I dont, regardless of their technical attributes. Rather like a fire extinguisher, Yeah, I have one in case I need one, but its not what I spend my time thinking about and I dont practice with them beyond basic familiarity, and dont compare various makes and models, not even old ones. Thats not far off from my current level of interest in most modern guns. And yes, 1873s, as cool as they are, are more modern and less charismatic than 66s. By a small dergree.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-16-2024 at 04:13 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I get it, same reason I admire British double rifles, old Sharps rifles etc…..
    I really like what was best of kind in its day.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I get it, same reason I admire British double rifles, old Sharps rifles etc…..
    I really like what was best of kind in its day.
    I agree, and like much of the same things, though from 1866 to 1873, the 1866 was the best in class. After that has passed, it may become interesting because of its historical significance, and may in fact still fill the same roles as some later offerings with no particular downside within its caliber and firearm type niche. When the choice was 44 rimfire vs 44 Winchester centerfire, the choice was more distinct. When both are available in 44 spl, 44-40, or 45 Colt, it would appear to have less difference in on the ground performance if using SAA compatible smokeless or black powder loads.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My experience is limited to a EMF/Rossi M92 in .357 and my first deer rifle, a Marlin 30AS. So what would you guys say are the best deals in a lever gun today? Doesn't have to be brand new.

.22 RF?

Pistol Caliber?

Large Game Hunting Caliber?

I think you might enjoy the 22 lr more as it is by far the most affordable to shoot.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

I had a 9422 for several years and it was fun on reactive targets. For bench shooting, my preference is a bolt action.

Pistol caliber lever guns are still reasonable to shoot compared to the rifle calibers. 38/357 is my preference.

I still have a Winchester in 30-30, and make a mild load for it to shoot steel targets at various distances.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

To clarify, I'm interested in brands in each category, not a comparison of the 3 categories.

Sorry for any confusion.

Cannot go wrong with an older Marlin 39 in 22. It'll shoot short, longs and LR. I prefer the Mountie version. This one dates to '59.

Currently positioned it interdict a fox that's been casing my chickens.

Name:  IMG_20240218_134216455.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  19.2 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List