Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: Do You Even Cook, Bro?

Happy New Year folks!

And as I am from deep South Mississippi I cooked some Hopin' John (Blackeyed peas with chopped onions and a can of Rotel tomatoes and a generous amount of Tony's) to be served over rice, a can of Glory mixed greens, and a pone of Cornbread with 1/2 can cream style corn and shredded cheese mixed in.
    And a turkey breast 'cause I had a couple in the freezer...Opelousas baked recipe style.
    (If you don't own a Tony Chachere's Cajun Cookbook shame on you! My copy is from 1982.)

Traditional Southern New Years meal back home. (except usually chicken, I didn't have chicken...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Happy New Year folks!

And as I am from deep South Mississippi I cooked some Hopin' John (Blackeyed peas with chopped onions and a can of Rotel tomatoes and a generous amount of Tony's) to be served over rice, a can of Glory mixed greens, and a pone of Cornbread with 1/2 can cream style corn and shredded cheese mixed in.
    And a turkey breast 'cause I had a couple in the freezer...Opelousas baked recipe style.
    (If you don't own a Tony Chachere's Cajun Cookbook shame on you! My copy is from 1982.)

Traditional Southern New Years meal back home. (except usually chicken, I didn't have chicken...)
    Black Eyed Peas w/smoked Ham Hock, Collards, Corn Bread (in a cast iron skillet), Pork Tenderloin.

Site Supporter
    One of my Christmas gifts was a store bought tub of bacon grease.
    Been enjoying cast iron breakfast for the past week but probably should taper.
    Over easy eggs with cast iron toasted Sourdough is addictive.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Black Eyed Peas w/smoked Ham Hock, Collards, Corn Bread (in a cast iron skillet), Pork Tenderloin.
    Ok, now my mouth is watering! Time for a late lunch

@RoyGBiv

I rendered the tallow from a brisket and the lard (24 quarts) from my daughter's hog butchering. I always save my bacon drippings.
    The flavor is in the fat and I have no plans to live forever.

These live next to my stove. Mind you it'll take me a year or better to use them, but use them I will.

Name:  Bacon lard tallow.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  56.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Ok, now my mouth is watering! Time for a late lunch

@RoyGBiv

I rendered the tallow from a brisket and the lard (24 quarts) from my daughter's hog butchering. I always save my bacon drippings.
    The flavor is in the fat and I have no plans to live forever.

These live next to my stove. Mind you it'll take me a year or better to use them, but use them I will.
    I've had meager luck collecting bacon drippings... a combination of supermarket bacon that tastes good but the drippings don't solidify well at room temp and a couple batches of better quality bacon that I was too lazy to filter.. A store bought container was just easier..

I haven't cooked a full pig since I lived in NC, 20 years ago... Plenty of Butt and Ribs, but, again, too lazy to bother with drippings... I leave them in the smoker bucket and we get the occasional trash panda stopping by for a fatty feast.

I'm with you on those collards! I love collards and mustard greens... can pass on Turnip greens, but if that's all that's available, they're ok with enough vinegar sauce. . Wife makes awesome greens...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I've had meager luck collecting bacon drippings... a combination of supermarket bacon that tastes good but the drippings don't solidify well at room temp and a couple batches of better quality bacon that I was too lazy to filter.. A store bought container was just easier..

I'm with you on those collards! I love collards and mustard greens... can pass on Turnip greens, but if that's all that's available, they're ok with enough vinegar sauce. . Wife makes awesome greens...
    I love greens of all types...properly cooked red-neck Southern style.

I live in the suburbs, so I only have raised garden beds (but several of them). I grow turnips and collards along with Swiss Chard every year. Great eating!
    I also grow peppers and make my vinegar pepper sauce. Love that stuff.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into with the pork-lard rendering. When my daughter asked that I show her and her husband how to render the fat, I asked her how many pounds she had. She said around 10 pounds. As they have a farm about 50 miles from me I told her to just drop it off for me because it would take all day to render.

Well she obviously can't judge weight for shit. I love her. She just lacks the ability apparently...

Oh. I misspoke/typed. They were pints, not quarts.

I don't usually even use lard as I don't generally eat fried foods. But I'll cook bacon a couple of times a year just so I can strain the drippings into a jar to use for flavoring when cooking.

And that "10 pounds of pork fat? Try 60 pounds...

Name:  50+ pounds pork fat.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  53.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Been looking to do this since I got DirectTV HD this year(convienient, but missing one of my favorite features...on the plus side you can record at least 5 channels at once) ...but the website has been down for a couple weeks.

Google Tastemade. You are welcome.

Struggle Meals... Frankie seems to me and the Mrs. as a slightly gayer Zac Braff, but his recipes are pretty solid, repeatable, and somewhat simple. And Mrs. UNM1136 approves. To the point we are in almost a dozen of his recipes without a single miss.

But, for the outdoor cookers...Andrew Zimmern has a a show where he cooks wild game (I THINK it is Andrew Zimmern's Wild Game Kitchen) and all sides on an open fire...I first saw the show about 6 months ago, and it has cost me hours of sleep watching it...gimme a few hours and I will link this to the Outdoor Cooking thread...

Check out the website, and if it is on your cable/satellite provider check it out. While a new channel to me on Direct TV HD the website will get you almost all the way there.

The Chicago Girl and the Goat girl (Stephanie Izard,) has a show called The Curious Chef, has a series I am recording to watch later.

All Up In Your Grill is a show that has my interest, but no time to watch recently...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-21-2024 at 06:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    I love corned beef and cabbage. Learned to love it from my mother, one of her favorite dishes. Especially great smothered in a good coarse-ground mustard. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my current household that feels this love, so I don't make it often. Yesterday's rain gave me the opportunity to get a head start on my St Paddy's meal.

I'm happy to make it from a supermarket pack, so, the recipe is pretty simple....

Open pack, put contents in stock pot.
    INCLUDE the slimy dregs from the package. I use some beer to rinse out the package and transfer to the pot.
    Dump included spice packet into pot.
    Cover beef with more beer (this year was a combination of Modelo Especial and Stella, thanks to my son and his friends leaving their leftovers for me).
    Add 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix.
    Bring to boil, simmer for 2.5 hours, flipping occasionally.
    Cut a large head of cabbage into wedges. Submerge in stock. Return to boil and simmer additional 30 minutes.
    Turn off heat and let stand 30 minutes before serving.

I ate some of the cabbage with grilled chicken last night. Was excellent. Looking forward to the beef today.

It's hard not to just pour a cup of the stock and drink it, it's that good (of course I did). I usually strain and pour the stock it into ice cube trays and freeze it to use later. Last time I did larger pours into disposable plastic cups, froze them and the cups peel away easy enough when you're ready to use the frozen stock.

Sent this photo to mom yesterday.
    Name:  CBC2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  37.4 KB
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 03-17-2024 at 07:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I love corned beef and cabbage.
    Yeah baby! Was excellent.

Name:  Cbsliced.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  88.0 KB

Enjoyed this mustard too..

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Discovered a cool site today: cooked.wiki.

Most recipes you find online aren't so much recipes as a blog post of someone's entire life history sprinkled with a vaguely-related list of ingredients at the end. Cooked.wiki strips all that stuff out and gives you a nice, formatted recipe.

How it works: append the URL of the blog post recipe to the end of cooked.wiki and voila.

Example: visiting https://www.themerchantbaker.com/bro...-glazed-bacon/ gets you one of those life stories. Copy-paste that whole URL onto the end of cooked.wiki, like: cooked.wiki/https://www.themerchantbaker.com/brown-sugar-maple-glazed-bacon/.

It's a little hit-and-miss sometimes, but it usually does a pretty good job.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List