Thread: Early Glock 19 Gen3 vs Late Glock 19 Gen3

Early Glock 19 Gen3 vs Late Glock 19 Gen3

All,

Had a series of questions regarding the Gen 3 Glock 19s...

1) I have been reading about the extractor issue with the late model (second half 2010 - 2011) Gen 3 Glock 19's, are there any other issues out there, or is that pretty much it?

2) Given that issue (or other issues), do you all think it is better to get a new Gen 3 Glock 19 (I can get the military rate of $398) and just work through the issues (i.e. drop in a new extractor, etc), or would it be worth the time/money to find a used Gen 3 Glock 19 from early 2010 or before, even though it would probably cost about the same or a little more than a new one at the military/LEO rate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Max

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax17 View Post
    late model (second half 2010 - 2011) Gen 3 Glock 19's, are there any other issues out there, or is that pretty much it?
    Some early 2010 guns have the new extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax17 View Post
    2) Given that issue (or other issues), do you all think it is better to get a new Gen 3 Glock 19 (I can get the military rate of $398) and just work through the issues (i.e. drop in a new extractor, etc), or would it be worth the time/money to find a used Gen 3 Glock 19 from early 2010 or before, even though it would probably cost about the same or a little more than a new one at the military/LEO rate?
    I have a 2011 G19, and I have no regrets. It runs fine. I don't have much heartburn buying a Gen3 gun.

I have an old Gen 2 19, and old Gen 3 and a new RTF2 Gen 3. All run great. I would take the new Gen 3 hands down just because of the RTF2 and I can't seem to pick a bad Glock off the shelf. But I'm a product of my experience with them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

What is the extractor issue on the later Gen 3's? I picked one up recently that I've only fired 100 rounds or so through. What should I look for, and what should I do to correct it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChipM View Post
    What is the extractor issue on the later Gen 3's? I picked one up recently that I've only fired 100 rounds or so through. What should I look for, and what should I do to correct it?
    The extractors they are referring to are the evil "dip" extractors. If you look at your extractor on the gun (the little metal thingy with the loaded chamber indicator on it), you should see on the top of the extractor a small dip or depression. Previously, the extractors were straight as a ruler, both on the top and the bottom. Now, as of 2010 and later, they currently are straight across the bottom with a small dip or depression on the top section. This change was initiated with the Gen 4's and was taken across the board to the Gen 3's as of 2010, although I will confess that I have absolutely no clue as to why Glock did this.

Anyways, there's been a very small minority of late make Gen 3 users who say that the new dip extractors are giving them problems. Usually, those problems are poor ejection, or getting pelted in the fact with brass very frequently. Some have even complained of FTE's but from what I've read of those, it was the shooter or the ammo, not the extractor. The issue with the extractors previously is that they were not being manufactured to the same quality they were previously. However, I'm being led to believe that GLock has fixed this issue with the newer make Gen 3's and Gen 4's by making sure the extractors are made to better tolerances.

As to what to look for? Well, if you have a bad extractor, I'd be looking for brass flying directly back at you. If that happens frequently, you have an extractor problem. ALthough it is going to take more that 100 rounds to diagnose that. I'd suggest firing at least another 400-500 rounds before determining anything. Look for brass flying over your left shoulder (if you are a righty), landing on your head, coming back at your face, etc. Be sure to wear a hat, muffs, and your eyepro.

G 19 extractors

There is a thread over on glocktalk by TexasPOff about polishing your extractor and curing the problem. Most folks have erratic extraction issues with brass over the left shoulder or back inyour face. He describes how to polish the leg of the extractor to cure this. Mine had a small burr on the bottom edge which I polished and seems to have cured the problem.

User Tag List