Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public Health Gun Safety Presentation AAR

There is a certain amount of ego gratification within the services when they "set themselves apart" from the other branches. Mostly it boils down to budget justification.

Once again I feel this is parochial nonsense. When I went in the AF, they were just phasing in the BDU uniforms. Utter waste of money and resources IMO. There was nothing wrong with the fatigues, they just weren't as new and cool looking. During my four year tenure they adapted and changed either the BDU or the Class A's no less than 4 times.

Don't get me started on their F'ed up PT test...

There was a rumor going around while I was still AD that the AF intended to remove all the A-10's from service, as there was under development an F-16 variant that utilized a 30mm rotary cannon. Once the Army got wind they offered to "buy" all the A-10's and support equipment so that they might integrate them with the Apaches. The AF went apeshit thinking that if the Army acquired fixed wing aircraft, they would try to take over the AF slowly. So the A-10's remain in service, under USAF control. While the rumor may or may not be true, it rather effectively illustrates the tribal mentality that all the branches have.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I'd venture to guess the A-10 stays in service because it provides a capability that few other aircraft can provide. The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force, and the Army has more ships than the Navy...............no one is terribly concerned about "take overs".
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I'd venture to guess the A-10 stays in service because it provides a capability that few other aircraft can provide. The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force, and the Army has more ships than the Navy...............no one is terribly concerned about "take overs".
    You'll notice that I referred to it as a rumor, and used it to illustrate a point.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Indeed you did. And point taken.........
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Current rumor is they're trying to replace both the F-16 and A-10 with the F-35.

We are diminished

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    And then the Navy came out with their new uniform, which I have affectionately dubbed the "Man Overboard! Where?" pattern...
    I think leadership hates it. We are not allowed to wear it off base in dc. I personally think it looks good.

It's better than what it replaced, the utilities. Amazing they made it out of wwII... And then lasted another 60 years.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Thank you, Todd.

Threadjackers, vamoose!

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Not to give too much support to my Dept of the Navy brethren, but it is heartening to see someone from the Army publicly acknowledge that a good soldier is only the equal of a mediocre Marine...
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooten Jones View Post
    Thank you, Todd.

Threadjackers, vamoose!
    Wooten Jones,

How'd they come up with this guy as a speaker in the first place? The horse is out of the barn now, but in retrospect, it would have been cool to have someone to counterpoint him. (I notice that, for instance, you have instructor certs. )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List