Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Practice ammunition?

oh don't say that.
    I just got 500 of the 124gr reman.
    and 500 of the 147gr reman.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    oh don't say that.
    I just got 500 of the 124gr reman.
    and 500 of the 147gr reman.
    It wasn't a huge deal-killer difference -- I'd still shoot the 124gr for practice at up to 15yd without thinking twice. I just wouldn't use it at a match where I might have to take fast shots at a 20yd 8" popper.

Besides, your gun might like it just fine. Try it for 3 5-shot groups at 20-25yd against the 147gr and see.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

I reload range brass with Hodgon Hi-Skor 800-X ($30/lb), Rainier Ballistics 124gr RN 9mm rounds (~$35/500) and CCI Small Pistol Primers ($25/1k). Seems to work well enough. It helps keep costs down that I won 1k of those Rainier Ballistic bullets at an IDPA match raffle and that I get the brass essentially free.

Doing some quick match and I'm at $0.081 a round or $81.31 per 1000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    It wasn't a huge deal-killer difference -- I'd still shoot the 124gr for practice at up to 15yd without thinking twice. I just wouldn't use it at a match where I might have to take fast shots at a 20yd 8" popper.

Besides, your gun might like it just fine. Try it for 3 5-shot groups at 20-25yd against the 147gr and see.
    ok cool. I just had this fear it would POI on the other guy's target.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3

follow up report...

range: 7yd to target (had a newbie at the range with me today, shooting my .22 mostly. besides my eyes suck beyond 10m anyways.)

9mm: 1 box (50rnds) of each type all through the same P30, and same magazine
    FM9R115R... very soft shooting. 2 failures to lock back at end of mag, POA/POI acceptable, noticeable sparking out the muzzle during firing
    FM9R124R... felt similar to AE9AP. no failures. POA/POI acceptable
    FM9R147R... good thump for recoil but totally acceptable, noticeably quieter than the 124R (definitely subsonic), no failures, POA/POI acceptable

45ACP: 1 box (50rnds) through HK45, same magazine
    FM45R230R... kicks like a 45 , had one lighter pressure load (by the sound) however the gun cycled fine, POA/POI acceptable
    RWS10050... noticeably more kick than 230R, no failures, POA/POI acceptable

Today was mostly about intro'ing the new person to firearms and getting her over her fears and preconceived notions (she actually said at the end "and it didn't go off all on it's own!" ) and testing all of the new ammo types I'd purchased recently.
    115R made my P30 act like my Ruger SR22 in terms of "felt" recoil and muzzle climb. I thought it was hysterical.
    124R feels like a good alternative to my usual AE9AP or CCI 5201 "training" rounds. (which is good as the latter 2 are virtually unobtainable at a reasonable price still!)

I was at ~1500 rounds through the P30 over the course of 3 weeks before anything with less energy than +P 124gr JHP defense loads or FM 147gr FMJ would 100% consistently lock back the slide. This is an unusually intense shooting tempo for most owners, and from what I understand I could have achieved the same result by storing the P30 with the slide locked back for the first 2-4 weeks.

HK doesn't mess about when it comes to recoil spring strength. Now that it's settled down, it will run Russkie 115gr steel case with no problem - 400 Wolf Mil Classic over the holiday weekend, no issues.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Jeez... did they put an L recoil spring in a standard length?
    Mine shot 115gr (CCI 5200) ammo for the first 1000 rounds without a single hiccup (that wasn't shooter induced... damn long slide release levers!) right out of the box. I did let it sit for a couple days in the safe with the slide locked back though, so maybe that did it.

I picked up around 500 rounds of ZVS 124gr ammo at the shop recently. Never heard of this brand.google informs me it is Slovakian apparently.

Shot 200 and functioned great. Loads felt stout and fired clean. No issues to report so far.

Came in the small 50rd euro boxes that I like. Much more compact than US pistol ammo boxes.
    Last edited by shootist26; 07-12-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Freedom ammunitions 124g 9mm RN "new" and their 230g .45 RN "new" I had a bad experience with remanufactured ammo once(not theirs) and only shoot new ammo since. I ran through 6k rounds last year and had zero issues with it. Their prices are great, shoots fairly clean and they have occasional sales to boot.

Rareammo.com has a good price on the 9mm Magtech Shootin Size. We got a mess of it for the Givens Combative Pistol this weekend and it was very good overall.

I think Hannah had 2 light strikes/hard primers in the roughly 1k she put through the PPQ. I had no issues with a similar round count through a LEM P30.

Rareammo was also great to deal with. He shipped same day and it showed up 2 days later!

User Tag List