Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First experience carrying AIWB

Thumbs up First experience carrying AIWB

Couple of weeks ago I was thinking of the challenge to carry in a much hotter climate since I am headed to TX soon. Having had only good experiences with CrossBreed holsters, I decided to order their AIWB holster for my PPS. Opted for the horse hide, and off I went.

The thing arrives, the horse hide seems much harder than the regular one I have, but it's unfair to compare since I have the IWB for years.

Fact is, I am shocked by how much I hate it the AIWB carry. I find the whole thing fine as long as I stand, but sitting it's AWFUL. If I carry it on the side a bit the barrel digs into my leg painfully. If I center it, I feel like I am going to puke. Carrying it very low on the belt helps a bit, but makes drawing awkward and cumbersome. If I carry it higher it hurts my stomach, particularly in the car.

What am I doing wrong? Suggestions?

Site Supporter
    Choose a different holster.

The crossbreed is far too wide, IMO. I bet you're getting poked a lot.

You don't mention what gun you're carrying, or what your rough dimensions are, so, it's impossible to make any specific suggestions... G17? You better be a tall dude to try and AIWB a G17. And so on....

I like the Shaggy, Just changed mine to a clip. Still testing it. Seems there's lots of love around here for the JM Customs AIWB. Lots of choices.

In the summer, wearing shorts, I AIWB my P2000SK in a very low riding Mr. Softy from High Noon Holsters. Has an excellent metal clip for easy on/off. Ride height is too low for an easy grip, but it works for me in certain situations..

https://pistol-forum.com/forumdispla...s-and-EDC-Gear
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Try a real aiwb rig from the likes of CCC, JM CUSTOM, Darkstar Gear, or Keepers. The Crossbreed is just an iwb pressed into the role, like many holsters marketed as aiwb. The above mentioned holsters actually have features to help optimize aiwb whereas most iwb do not.

I hated AIWB the first attempt I made at it too. I tried some hybrid leather/ Kydex holster that sucked and I gave up on it for a long time. Then I tried AIWB specific holsters from companies that know what they're doing. CCC, DSG, etc. Now its the way I carry 90% of them time with everything from a G17 to J frame. Hot, Cold, doesn't matter.
    Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

Thank you much, will check those. I did mention the gun, it's a PPS. I get poked in the stomach, in the leg, and occasionally even... well you know.

The importance of using a purpose built AIWB holster cannot be overemphasized. A repackaged IWB / hybrid / whatever is far inferior to an offering from CCC, DSG or JMCK. Been there, done that.

Aside from what these fine folks have already mentioned:

Make sure you have a rock solid belt.

Try wearing your pants just a little bit higher than you normally do. This fixed all my problems with AIWB carry. I have just enough flab that my natural pants position would be slightly blow actual waistline, say 2" below my belly button. I moved my pants height to just below my belly button, and now when I sit or bend over, the gun follows my body. For me, I want the muzzle to either fit into the crook of my leg/groin, or be at level for where my legs are when I sit(for a short muzzle gun like my PPS).

Positioning is different for everyone, and finding what works for you goes a long way. A holster built for the job will likely get you the rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another key thing I've found with AIWB is to not run the stiffest/thickest gunbelt you have. A little bit lighter and a tad bit looser than you would IWB or especially OWB goes a long way to improving comfort. AIWB has to be able to move around a bit.

-Rob

I'm with all the smart guys above here who already posted.

I'll throw in JRC holsters as well. They're all great on this forum, his just happens to work best for my needs on my skinny ass frame.

I'm 5'6", 135# and a 29" waist. I use a frequent flyer belt or JRC belt and carry a P30. Admittedly, I can't carry daily, (live in NJ) but I've spent 4-8 hours a day in it while taking ECQC, AFHF, USPSA, other classes, etc.

My trick for making my junk comfortable is shifting everything to the left and the slide is lined up right with my belly button. When I sit, the sights are almost in my solar plexus and the muzzle is almost at the chair seat and I'm fine.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Even with our preferred AIWB offerings, the belly poking HDs were taking more and more skin off (drawing blood more than once) as I "cultivated mass" in my midsection so I request this mod from JMCK:

The Dr. Scholl's heel cushion is a great mod too.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List