Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 115: Typewriter

Week 115: Typewriter

Week 115: Typewriter

Results may be posted until July 5th, 2015.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green, modified from a drill by CCT12US
    Range: 5 yards
    Target: Six two inch circles, download here - http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...s-numbered.pdf
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 24
    Procedure: On the beep, draw and fire one round at each of the six 2" circles in order from #1 to #6 and then immediately repeat from #1 to #6 again for a total of twelve rounds fired. Record your time.

Then starting from the holster again, on the beep draw and fire one round at each of the six 2" circles in reverse order from #6 to #1 then immediately repeat from #6 to #1 again. Record your time.

You must shoot the targets in proper order each time.

Your score is the number of hits you made (out of 24) divided by your total time for the two strings of fire. So for example if you get 23 hits and shoot it in 25.55 seconds your score is:

23 ÷ 25.55 = 0.80

This drill is not capacity-neutral. If your handgun holds less than 12 rounds, you will need to reload during the drill. If your pistol holds less than 6 rounds, you will need to reload more than once. The time for the reload counts toward your score.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, start from a ready position with the muzzle pointed off the target and add two seconds to your time for each string.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any)
    Number of Hits
    Times
    Total Score
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment used:Walther PPQ M2 9mm, shooting from concealed (strong side belt), using a Blackhawk Serpa holster (no comments on the holster, please - I know many here don't like them)
    Number of Hits:
    Times:
    16.79 and 9.85
    Total Score:
    Observations:
    I'm only within .75 inches of the target circle each time, so this means that I just need to tighten up my first shots on target.

A friend of mine shot with me, and here is his information:
    Equipment used:Ruger 4" 1911 .45acp, drawn from a simulated holster draw (he is not currently allowed to do full holster work at this range, but has the ability)
    Number of Hits:
    Times:
    22.85 and 22.39
    Total Score: 0.221
    Observations:
    He had similar accuracy as me, but had to reload more frequently, due to having a single-stack. He reloaded between each string of 6 dots, to ensure he had enough rounds to complete and wasn't surprised by a slide lock.

Equipment used: gun, holster, concealment (if any) Glock 19 w RMR, Fricke Seraphim, Camp shirt.
    Number of Hits 19
    Times 15.46 and 13.85
    Total Score .648
    Observations: anything you noticed Once again, 2 inch dots while trying to go fast are deceptively difficult, for me at least. There was no reason to miss any of these but I did. On subsequent runs I slowed down, got my hits, then started speeding back up. I did get to where I was shooting it clean but in less time than the first runs.

Equipment used: G19 w/ Trijicon HDs, Keeper
    Hits: 8 and 11
    Times: 10.83 and 13.40
    Total Score: 0.784
    Observations: slow the hell down and remember my holds. With 124gr ammunition I can get away with cutting the circle a bit with the tip of the front sight. With 115gr, as used today, I have to use a drive-the-dot sight picture in order to get my hits. The problem there is that this means I can barely see the 2" circle at 5yds b/c of the sight picture used. The first run through resulted in low hits on all of my misses, and all of my hits were in the lower 1/2 of the circle, with two cutting the outline of the circle. First shot times were 1.50 and 1.58, respectively. Both were hits.

HK P30 v1, 10-8 RS, Dawson FO .100 wide FS, JRC CDAII

First shots of the day cold:
    8.33 and 8.13 = 16.46 with 20 hits
    20/16.46 = 1.215

Second attempt after other drills:
    7.41 and 7.25 = 14.66 with 20 hits
    20/14.66 = 1.364

On the second attempt I tried to note my splits, but on the second string a subgun let loose.
    2nd attempt, string 1:
    7.41 = 1.63 / .56 / .52 / .59 / .52 / .53 / .53 / .50 / .52 / .50 / .54 / .47

I forgot how much I liked this drill.
    Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Equipment: M&P9, Safariland 6377, no concealment
    Number of hits: 21
    Times: 8.66, 7.69, total 16.35
    Total score: 1.2844

Sent from my iThingy using Tapawhatsit
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2alpha-down0 View Post
    Equipment: M&P9, Safariland 6377, no concealment
    Number of hits: 21
    Times: 8.66, 7.69, total 16.35
    Total score: 1.2844

Sent from my iThingy using Tapawhatsit
    Nice! Shot it yesterday, will post results after I get home

Equipment: G19, GLS, no concealment
    Number of hits 20
    times: 10.26 and 10.92. Total 21.18
    score of .94

I really enjoyed this drill and will be using it more in the future.

Ran this drill 3 times with 2 different guns. Did it at an indoor range where they do not allow holster work, so all times include the 2 second penalty per string. Start position was compressed ready finger off trigger (both guns), safety on while shooting the STI.

Equipment used: Ruger 9E in 9mm
    Number of Hits 14
    Times 10.75 and 9.46
    Total Score .692
    Observations: This was the first drill I ran when I arrived. A little slower than I thought it would be.

Run 2, after some other drills.
    Equipment used: STI Edge in 40 cal
    Number of Hits 16
    Times 11.21 and 9.62
    Total Score .768
    Observations:Took a little more time and got "better" hits.

Run 3, after even more drills and shooting.
    Equipment used: STI Edge...again
    Number of Hits 18
    Times 11.18 and 10.41
    Total Score .833
    Observations:All of the second strings were faster. I think maybe because starting on the bottom row of targets allows you to see all of the other targets and makes transitions faster, or at least more comfortable.

Ran it twice today:

Walther P99c 9mm
    CCC TUF OWB holster
    CCC BMC
    124 gr Montana Gold JHP handloads

Run 1 (I really suck):

5 hits, 28.87 seconds, score = .173

Run 2 (I sucked a little bit less):

11 hits, 34.51 seconds, score = .319

Observations: Shooting 2" dots is humbling. My reloads, at least today, were awful; had I been using a gun which held 12 or more rounds, my times would have been ~6 seconds lower due to my 3+ second reload times. I'm not quite sure what caused me to be so slow on the reloads, but later on, I ran some 1 R 1 and 1 R 2, and the reloads were in the 2.5 second range, which is still not good, but noticeably better. On the second run, I slowed down significantly shooting and got a lot more hits, including 3 rounds touching each other in the #2 dot. My takeaways are that I need to work on visual patience and reloading faster/less fumbly.

User Tag List