Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some questions re: hearing loss

I have a pretty decent high-frequency hearing loss attributed to a lot of unplugged shooting as a teen, along with an undercover OIS shooting inside a car. My tinnitus goes and goes, and caffeine makes it worse. I hear conversational tones 1 vs 1 OK but background noise can mask the conversation. At some point I'll be using digital hearing aids, just not yet.

Go see a ENT doc for a complete workup. Some of the practical advise alone at my last visit was worth the price. My wife would drive me crazy trying to talk to me when I walking away or leaving a room. I'd hear her talk but couldn't understand a word. My doc's advice was to make sure you are facing the speaker and make sure the family knows you need to be looking at them for best results, or at least be in the same room. That has made a big difference.

Going forward, double plug every time you shoot. Other than a life saving event, I wont shoot anything without hearing protection. I just work that into my hunting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    My doc's advice was to make sure you are facing the speaker and make sure the family knows you need to be looking at them for best results, or at least be in the same room.
    Yes I can see that may be coming some day. Currently my right ear is still good, so I can hear most conversations but it definitely helps to be looking at whoever is talking to me. Background noise definitely makes it harder for me to understand what someone is saying unless they speak up.

I don't know if even a digital hearing aid will help my left ear much, because it's not just volume -- it's also clarity that I've lost. Sounds that I can hear are distorted and fuzzy like a cheap transistor radio on that side. Right ear is still nice and clear.

Site Supporter
    Okay so I have an appointment to see an audiologist. I don't have a lot of hope for any solution to this problem, but I'm sure it's a good idea anyway.

The ringing has gottern worse recently. Do any of you with tinnitus and/or hearing loss ever feel like you are losing interest in guns and shooting? Lately I've almost felt like I just want to stay away from the things -- probably because I've made a negative mental association.

The other thing that is always in the back of my mind is that in the unlikely case I ever fire a handgun out of necessity without hearing protection my tinnitus will certainly get even worse. It seems this condition has caused some mental games to start playing in my mind -- I'm hating that.

Tinnitus sucks.

Yes, Tinnitus sicks. Mightily. I have it pretty bad.

I dont lose interest in guns or shooting because of it, but it strongly influences some of my decisions and choices. I think the 357 round is great, but I severly dislike shooting them because of the muzzle blast, and choose different calibers for carry guns because of it. Larger calibers not going as fast (44 spl, 45 Colt) and without the intense muzzle blast are easier for general shooting, and I'm not quite as concerned as I am with high intensity loads if I had to shoot without ear protection. I also am not crazy about carbines, to me the muzzle blast is noticably more than 20 AR rifles, as with the other calibers I more often carry. I like the 20" 30-30 compared to the 16" as far as muzzle blast. Not as handy, but everything is a trade-off. I choose less muzzle blast when possible.

I always carry foam earplugs in my pocket, no matter what I'm doing. If theres a chance to shoot, or I use power tools, I have them.

People say you dont notice the sound when in serious need, even when hunting, and I guess that works for most. I dont seem to be blessed with that. If I shoot without ear pro, I'm instantly in pain, and cursing myself and the pain. I generally choose carry calibers that arent as muzzle blasty. I often grab my 586 and think I'll carry it some since I like the gun so much, then think if I had to shoot it (I shoot skunks on sight around the place) I put it down and take a 44 spl or 45 Colt. YMMV. Thats what works for me.

Good luck with the exam. Living with tinnitus is extremely annoying at times, but not the end of the world. Having some background noise on helps distract from it to a degree.

Site Supporter
    Malamute, I appreciate your feedback.

FYI, I'm pretty sure it was a .44Spl revolver that caused my hearing problems many years ago. But I agree any magnum round is far worse.

All of them are hard on your hearing if you dont have decent protection. Just plain foam plugs arent great, and I think you may still have some damage, especially from more high intensity loads.

Part of my problem was being a 12 yo kid and shooting tens of thousands of 22 rounds in pistols with no protection, and some 38 and 357 loads when I got my first centerfire pistol. We dont think of the 22 as being that bad, but without protection, they do damage.

My 44 spl is a 4". Shorter guns are definitely easier to carry, but a bit more blasty. I'm starting to gravitate to 6" barrels for shooting. Having some thoughts of a longer single action for plinking, maybe a 7 1/2", or even a 9 or 10" 44 or 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Do any of you with tinnitus and/or hearing loss ever feel like you are losing interest in guns and shooting?

The other thing that is always in the back of my mind is that in the unlikely case I ever fire a handgun out of necessity without hearing protection my tinnitus will certainly get even worse.
    Issue 1- No. Never crossed my mind. I'm not going to quit shooting. But I started paying extra attention, and taking extra precautions when necessay (such as an indoor range, or someone is shooting a cannon......I double up the ear pro).

Issue 2- Part 1: Yes. If you shoot without ear pro, your hearing issues will get worse. But it is not just shooting. Mowing the lawn. Loud music. Movie theaters. Airplanes. As I mentioned before, there are noise hazards beyond shooting guns. If the only time you wear ear pro is shooting, your hearing issues will get worse because you are ignoring other noise hazards, or pretending they don't exist.

Part 2: In the unlikely event you MUST shoot without ear protection, you need to decide now what is more important to you. For me, I put breathing as a priority over hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I always carry foam earplugs in my pocket, no matter what I'm doing. If theres a chance to shoot, or I use power tools, I have them.
    I stopped bothering with foamies altogether. They are better than using spent shell casings, or loaded ammo, but just barely. But like Malamute, I have rubber flanged ear plugs just about everywhere I go. 3-5 pair in my range bag, 2 pairs in my car, 1 pair in every shooting or sunglasses case, and 1 pair in my backpack. I stuff my pockets every year when I see the audiologist to replenish my supply. I recommend trying to snag some free samples from your appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I don't know if even a digital hearing aid will help my left ear much, because it's not just volume -- it's also clarity that I've lost. Sounds that I can hear are distorted and fuzzy like a cheap transistor radio on that side. Right ear is still nice and clear.
    I have the same problem. Hearing loss in the left only. I have not found a hearing aid to be much help. Apparently the brain has a hard time adjusting to one ear good one bad. Pretty much ended my singing as it is very hard to hear the band or other singers correctly and stay in pitch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Issue 1- No. Never crossed my mind. I'm not going to quit shooting. But I started paying extra attention, and taking extra precautions when necessay (such as an indoor range, or someone is shooting a cannon......I double up the ear pro).

Issue 2- Part 1: Yes. If you shoot without ear pro, your hearing issues will get worse. But it is not just shooting. Mowing the lawn. Loud music. Movie theaters. Airplanes. As I mentioned before, there are noise hazards beyond shooting guns. If the only time you wear ear pro is shooting, your hearing issues will get worse because you are ignoring other noise hazards, or pretending they don't exist.

Part 2: In the unlikely event you MUST shoot without ear protection, you need to decide now what is more important to you. For me, I put breathing as a priority over hearing.

I stopped bothering with foamies altogether. They are better than using spent shell casings, or loaded ammo, but just barely. But like Malamute, I have rubber flanged ear plugs just about everywhere I go. 3-5 pair in my range bag, 2 pairs in my car, 1 pair in every shooting or sunglasses case, and 1 pair in my backpack. I stuff my pockets every year when I see the audiologist to replenish my supply. I recommend trying to snag some free samples from your appointment.
    Your response is as usual full of good sense.

I do wear muffs when performing other activities such as using yard equipment, pretty much anything loud.

I realize my worries about screwing up my hearing even more in case of a self defense shooting are not rational -- I am confident I would act the same now as before my condition worsened. My mind is just having a tough time dealing with it, I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I will ask if they have some of those plugs you mention next week -- I am also thinking about getting fitted for a pair of custom plugs to wear under my muffs at the indoor range. Not sure how much better they are?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cutter View Post
    I have the same problem. Hearing loss in the left only. I have not found a hearing aid to be much help. Apparently the brain has a hard time adjusting to one ear good one bad. Pretty much ended my singing as it is very hard to hear the band or other singers correctly and stay in pitch.

Yeah I'm afraid I will have the same result -- does the aid help understand conversation at all?

User Tag List