Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade a Sig 228 for a M11-A1?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I would not trade a P228 on anything made by Sig since 2005 or so, but that's just my opinion, based on a series of unfortunate experiences with Sig over the last decade.
    Just a counter point, FWIW. Bruce Gray, his crew, and the folks over at SigForum (all, dare I say, SIG fanboys) all acknowledge that there were real QC issues for several years at SIG. I even seem to recall reading an interview that a SF staff had with Sig management that acknowledged the same. They all believe that SIG turned the corner a couple of years ago with their classic and polymer lines. . . diamond plate and rainbow finishes be damned. The consensus seems to be that SIG is making as good or better pistols than they ever have. I've certainly been happy with my 2013ish P226 and P224.

That said, I don't blame psalms144.1 and others for feeling they've been burned one too many times.

Cheers,
    D
    David S.

I would not trade a P228 on anything made by Sig since 2005 or so, but that's just my opinion, based on a series of unfortunate experiences with Sig over the last decade.

My issued M11 (P228) had been in service for nearly 20 years, and I shot WELL over 40K rounds through mine in the last four years of its service life, and never had an issue with it. In fact, if my HQ would issue me one of the small number of M11s they have laying around, I would trade them my currently issued P229R DAK in .40 S&W in a NY minute...
    Uncle Sam provided you with 10,000 rounds per year? I'm impressed. Back in the day it occasionally allowed us to look at a live .45 round for a short time if we behaved ourselves, but actual shooting could get the pistols dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Uncle Sam provided you with 10,000 rounds per year? I'm impressed. Back in the day it occasionally allowed us to look at a live .45 round for a short time if we behaved ourselves, but actual shooting could get the pistols dirty.
    I was the ammunition custodian for my office, and "inherited" about 60,000 rounds of ammo that had been sitting in our bunker for years and years. I worked my way through a lot of it before I transferred out...

So, in the interest of safety, you kept that ammunition from . . . um, becoming unstable or something . . . thereby protecting the taxpayers' from potentially enormous liabilities as well! That is real self-sacrifice. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    So, in the interest of safety, you kept that ammunition from . . . um, becoming unstable or something . . . thereby protecting the taxpayers' from potentially enormous liabilities as well! That is real self-sacrifice. Well done!
    Kidding aside, you should see the condition of some of the ammunition we get issued. HEAVY corrosion on cases and green verdigris on bullets. My most recent shipment of .45 FMJ has headstamps from 1988; and we're still shooting up .38 special ammunition from before that. Our "freshest" 9mm JHP is 1998 loadings.

And, yes, I do everything in my power to keep it all from getting too "stale"

Kidding aside, you should see the condition of some of the ammunition we get issued. HEAVY corrosion on cases and green verdigris on bullets. My most recent shipment of .45 FMJ has headstamps from 1988; and we're still shooting up .38 special ammunition from before that. Our "freshest" 9mm JHP is 1998 loadings.
    Sounds like they are storing it underwater. Can you tell us who you work with?

I work for the Department of the Navy. Not quite underwater, but most of our bases are coastal, and NONE of our ammunition bunkers that I know of are climate controlled...

Quick update on my M11-A1.

After first trip back to factory didn't fix feeding and extracting failures, sent it back again. 1 week turnaround time but according to the invoice nothing was done besides test fire 100 rounds, unable to duplicate failures. Trading it tomorrow for a G17.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Just a counter point, FWIW. Bruce Gray, his crew, and the folks over at SigForum (all, dare I say, SIG fanboys) all acknowledge that there were real QC issues for several years at SIG. I even seem to recall reading an interview that a SF staff had with Sig management that acknowledged the same. They all believe that SIG turned the corner a couple of years ago with their classic and polymer lines. . . diamond plate and rainbow finishes be damned. The consensus seems to be that SIG is making as good or better pistols than they ever have. I've certainly been happy with my 2013ish P226 and P224.

That said, I don't blame psalms144.1 and others for feeling they've been burned one too many times.

Cheers,
    D
    This has been my understanding as well.

I've got an old German 226 w unknown count, flawless; a late 2013s 226 with about 5500 w no issues, and a 320 with about 1500 also no issues.

I went through 3 938s a few years ago and could not get any of them to reliably feed, polished feed ramps be damned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    Have had a few offers lately to trade my 228 for a M11-A1. Would this be a mistake? I like the idea of a stronger slide and SRT and readily available parts for the newer 229 style but trying to get more opinions
    For a new in box M11 -A1 yes If my P228 was well worn

User Tag List