Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Point Shooting Practice

Site Supporter
    How about we all agree not to post anymore of "that person's" retardery? I feel dirty for having given him a click, he is just like the guy in this video:

http://tv.adobe.com/m/#!/watch/whats...doing/woo-woo/

Sorry I can't embed via my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I actually ran Big Dots for several years, because seeing some sort of front sight is important, even it it's a big fat white dot.

Can't do that point shooting...............
    Care to elaborate on your experience with Big Dots? Are you still running them? Genuinely curious...

Okie John

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    A true index-based shot at speed to a 10 yard head shot is definitely more difficult, but I don't think it's outside the realm of what a lot of good shooters can do.
    I don't think of point shooting, during slow fire, as point shooting. As you said, it's just a coarser sight picture using the whole gun (or even just the slide). What I want to see is the head shot at 10Y, with a reasonable speed.

I'm not saying he can't do it, I just want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Care to elaborate on your experience with Big Dots? Are you still running them? Genuinely curious...

Okie John
    I am not.

Went with the 24/7 BDs several years ago after I proved to myself that one could in fact shoot them accurately at distance, and it was one of the few front sights I could see fast at close range with my eyesight. I'm running the orange front Ameriglos now, they are just as accurate at distance, but faster getting there, and just as fast close up as the BDs
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-20-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: crappy spelling
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I am not.

Went those the 24/7 BDs several years ago after I proved to myself that one could in fact shoot them accurately at distance, and it was one of the few front sights I could see fast at close range with my eyesight. I'm running the orange front Ameriglos now, they are just as accurate at distance, but faster getting there, and just as fast close up as the BDs
    Thank you, sir.

Okie John

I do find it funny when people talk about point shooting and not needing to see sights, that then proceed to say that our biggest whitest front sight on the planet is what they recommend.
    Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

I ran XS big dots until the HD and ProGlo style sights came out and would go back to them before I'd go with standard night sights. For me and my eyes the added front sight visibility outweighs the slight decrease in precision.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

This is easy. Scotty Reitz has an easy way to deal with these idiots. Take the sights off the gun, or ensure they are being run without the eyes involved (well below eye-line) and come up to his place and run his moving target and hostage racks "point shooting". As soon as stuff starts moving, it is all over.

I am both a fan/and not a fan of the X/S sights. Some people need them due to eye-sight. Some guns work well with them because of how they contour to the slide (my P7's are a good example along with some of the 5 shots). For well trained shooters with decent eyes, they are not optimal. What I have found though is that for non-dedicated shooters (which includes tons of cops) who are often going to deploy a handgun in close proximity in unpredictable lighting on a moving target they work well because that gigantic front sight screams "LOOK AT ME", which really helps remind the brain what it needs to do to get hits. I did a kind of experiment at my old place with the X/S sights. For younger cops who were not gun people (and I was retired before they hired on) actually did very well with them as I think it was the first time they actually understood and used a front sight focus rather than a target focus.

We found that in the field, point shooting resulted in no hits on criminals outside of contact range. This was also at a time when we were trained and practiced extensively at point shooting. Somebody needs to take this idiots keyboard away. I am about ready to ask the NRA for a life membership refund as this guy should not be what our funds are going to.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Somebody needs to take this idiots keyboard away. I am about ready to ask the NRA for a life membership refund as this guy should not be what our funds are going to.
    This guy is definitely saying all of the wrong things. Several of us emailed the NRA to protest as shown here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rying-appendix In post 62 of that thread, I described how I think that someone in the agency where Mr. LaSorte works has decided that he's going to become a gun writer. I made similar points in an email I sent to the NRA but did not share on that thread. I think that more voices might help the NRA understand the error of their ways when they publish Mr. LaSorte's work.

Okie John

OK, I just sent this:

SUBJECT LINE
    Another Darren LaSorte Disappointment

BODY COPY
    Unfortunately, you just published another piece by Ackerman-McQueen, Inc.’s Mr. Darren LaSorte, in which he advocates point shooting in defensive situations.

In regards to unaimed pistol fire, Mr. LaSorte is several decades behind the power curve. Responsible shooters, including the FBI and every law enforcement agency in the country, have shunned point shooting since the 1970s, if not longer. Yet here we have Mr. LaSorte shouting it from the housetops on one of the country’s more reputable websites.

The point of shooting is hitting. That’s why pistols have sights, and why responsible shooters use them. Aiming a pistol at speed is not hard. I have learned to do it, and Mr. LaSorte can likely learn to do so as well—if he gets proper training from someone who knows what they’re doing.

I understand that Mr. LaSorte works for your PR/advertising agency, so you probably can’t refuse to print his “articles”. But can you at least have someone who understands pistol craft to check them beforehand to make sure that he's not promoting this kind of irresponsible behavior?

He’s making the rest of us look very, very bad.

Thank you,

Okie John

User Tag List