Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotgun sights -- what kind and why

I set up an experiment this afternoon using two otherwise identical Benelli M2 twenty gauge shotguns, except one with the open sight arrangement pictured above and the other with a T1 Aimpoint. The "test" was to start from a low ready, and to hit three eight inch steel at 15 yards, spaced approximately five yards apart, using buckshot and high brass birdshot. I repeated the test about a half dozen times with each different shotgun.

The times were very close, with the iron sights perhaps a smidge faster. A smidge meaning maybe .10 over an average 1.5 second run. However, I didn't miss a steel with the red dot and I had some misses with the open sights. Then, I went back to 35 yards and shot head shots on an IPSC target, and as you might expect, the T1 was an advantage.

I am going to try to repeat this test, and make my wife a guinea pig to do the test, too.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    How would one go about getting a big dot front and tritium stripe rear like is offered on some of the handgun sights and how does one deal with getting the right elevation? Should I get a big dot front and non-tritium rear to test for rear sight height then get a tritium rear in the height of my choice or what? I'm liking the idea of the tritium rear to help with indexing in low light.
    The rear sights on the vent rib dovetail will be too small to allow for a tritium vial. Basically, any rear sight that is going to be tall enough to allow tritium is going to require a ramped front sight.

Like this:
    The rear base is soldered on and the rear sight fits into a dovetail on the rear base. If you bought the barrel from Remington you could pull the rear sight off and measure it and we could set you up with the tritium equilvalent. or if you need to go up or down based on your grouping we could do that as well.

http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/...&searchSize=12

Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Here's the link to find those sights. http://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8271

Comes with 3 different heights in the kit.

We also have the kit for $40.00 that doesn't have a front sight, if you want to use your own fiber optic etc. You'll have to call to order that set because it isn't on our website yet. SG-3001-9
    Since you're here...I've got a bead-only barrel on one I'm building, no vent rib. How would I go about doing something similar? This reminds me of the DEA setup that existed for a while, which I truly loved.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Quote Originally Posted by maclin View Post
    Since you're here...I've got a bead-only barrel on one I'm building, no vent rib. How would I go about doing something similar? This reminds me of the DEA setup that existed for a while, which I truly loved.
    You'd be better off buying the barrel. For your situation youd have to buy a ramp and rear base and solder them on then by a front and rear sight. Theres no material on a plain barrel to dovetail something in and keep it low enough for a bead over front sight.

If you wanted a Big dot tritium sight on the front we have the epoxy on front sights for $60(Less expensive through Brownells, Midway etc)
    Chris T Abernathy
    Business Development Manager
    XS Sight Systems, Inc. | XSSights.com
    F2SConsulting.com | FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC

Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    The rear sights on the vent rib dovetail will be too small to allow for a tritium vial. Basically, any rear sight that is going to be tall enough to allow tritium is going to require a ramped front sight.

Like this:
    The rear base is soldered on and the rear sight fits into a dovetail on the rear base. If you bought the barrel from Remington you could pull the rear sight off and measure it and we could set you up with the tritium equilvalent. or if you need to go up or down based on your grouping we could do that as well.

http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/...&searchSize=12

I have a CZ 712 Utility and Remington 1100 both with vent ribs. In both cases raising the sights up 1/4" or more would help as I have to jam my face hard against the stock to get a proper bead "sight picture". I like the idea of a tritium rear (especially a less bright yellow) to help with low light alignment since the rear sight would be a distance away from my eye like a handgun sight rather than up close like most rifle sights.

Any chance of you guys making something that's easier to add than the usual brazing a base on? In searching the web I found these bolt-ons that look like they'd stay on the rib with judicious use of loctite. Add protective ears to the big dot up front and a rear that's adjustable like the picture and you'd have a winner. I'd much rather pay $150 for a workable solution than spend 10 hours making it or finding a smith who knows what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I set up an experiment this afternoon using two otherwise identical Benelli M2 twenty gauge shotguns, except one with the open sight arrangement pictured above and the other with a T1 Aimpoint. The "test" was to start from a low ready, and to hit three eight inch steel at 15 yards, spaced approximately five yards apart, using buckshot and high brass birdshot. I repeated the test about a half dozen times with each different shotgun.

The times were very close, with the iron sights perhaps a smidge faster. A smidge meaning maybe .10 over an average 1.5 second run. However, I didn't miss a steel with the red dot and I had some misses with the open sights. Then, I went back to 35 yards and shot head shots on an IPSC target, and as you might expect, the T1 was an advantage.
    Which makes my point that raw speed is almost never the issue. Hitting, however, is always the issue. :-)

Where are you getting a 20g 3 gun? Only the field M2 seems to come in 20.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Which makes my point that raw speed is almost never the issue. Hitting, however, is always the issue. :-)

Where are you getting a 20g 3 gun? Only the field M2 seems to come in 20.
    The 3 Gun is a 12, now paper worked to 14 inches.

The pair of 20's are regular M2 Field models, with the barrels shortened to 18.5 -- one has a T1 and the other open sights.

Gotcha, that makes me feel better. I think I'll grab a 20 to try out.

You can get a 24 inch barrel with the Compact (shorter LOP) Comfortech. It cuts to 18.5 ish fine, but the 21 inch barrels cut better to 14 (spacing of the vent rib).

My perfect combo would be a 21 inch barrel with the Compact Comfortech stock.

I got a set of those XS sights and had them put on a 18.5 inch barrel. Look good so far.

Here is the whole rig, my bear shotgun in non NFA format.

User Tag List