Page 45 of 71 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: G19 with RMR06 and KKM compensator

JS, I think you are local to me. I'll try to find my G17 KKM barrel+comp from 12 years ago so you can try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    I have a G17 (Gen 4) that used to have an ALG 6 second mount with a T1 and KKM compensated barrel. I had to put an 11lb ISMI spring in it to get it to run reliably with FM 115gr ball. With the stock RSA, it would FTE about once every 3 rounds and ejection was still really weak with a 13lb ISMI spring. Didn't try it with 124gr or 147gr ammo, although the 124gr and/or would probably have worked better. It was roughly G17L length.
    That's not encouraging...what causes this? Are there other reliability benefits to the G19 length barrel when running a comp? Using a ALG mount you don't even have the added weight of the optic on the slide to contend with...

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    JS, I think you are local to me. I'll try to find my G17 KKM barrel+comp from 12 years ago so you can try it out.
    That's a hell of an offer Vinh - much appreciated. Do you have any recollections from your experiment?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    That's not encouraging...what causes this? Are there other reliability benefits to the G19 length barrel when running a comp? Using a ALG mount you don't even have the added weight of the optic on the slide to contend with...
    I'm not sure. The best I can explain it would be that compensated pistols have different physics. The blast of the comp seemed to significantly reduce the rearward push of the gun, which may have been the cause. I'm sure the FM 115gr ammo not having a ton of push didn't help things either. Standby for a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jst0915 View Post
    I'm not sure. The best I can explain it would be that compensated pistols have different physics. The blast of the comp seemed to significantly reduce the rearward push of the gun, which may have been the cause. I'm sure the FM 115gr ammo not having a ton of push didn't help things either. Standby for a PM.
    Did you ever try it with other ammo? What about the Barnes X loadings (115gr +P)?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Did you ever try it with other ammo? What about the Barnes X loadings (115gr +P)?
    I did not. Once I put the 11lb spring it, I didn't have any further issues other than weak ejection. I ended up taking off the comp and 6SM before trying other ammo.

I've been running mine pretty heavily since then end of last year. I shot with it at the range for a bit obviously before carrying it but once I go mt JM custom holster in I started carrying it. So far I have put 1k rounds of mag tech 115gr, 1k speer lawman 124gr, 400 rounds of geco 124 grain, couple hundred rounds of American eagle 115 grain, couple hundred of 115 grain Atlanta arms, all with no issues. The gun loves 147grain HST and did well with 135gr +P Hornady critical duty as well. I plan on changing my RSA soon as preventive maintenance (around every 3k rounds). I've had zero issue with my RMR06 and I contribute that to it being newer and Doug at ATEi's skills. For those wondering about holster here are some pictures of my JM set up on (FYI: I'm 6'06" 236 pounds 36" pant size), belt is a Mean Gene victory aegis, pants are Kuhl ryder's, and the shirts a carhartt.

x300 also?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    x300 also?
    yes X300A ultra with DG switch

Slowly drinking the kool-aid on this setup, possibly without the RMR though, I like JHCs setup alot. I'm more inclined to have a visible laser with irons. He let me shoot his and it was pretty damn sweet. (I've shot a 19 with and without RDS. I definitely could track my iron sights faster, that might be overcome with a more aggressive grip, not sure, still need to play with it more. ) My only bone to pick with this whole setup with the comp is the low light issue. It seems to create a lot of flash and illumination. Watch this video http://youtu.be/xb_c3nz14FY I'm not sure if I read it here on PF or somewhere else but people were debating that the extra illumination was negligible, specifically under NODs (night vision) ....LOL, not sure what type of NODs they were using, but if you ripped a few rounds off with that in front of your face with NODs on you'd be blind and disoriented through the string of fire. Ok I got it, 99% of people aren't using this in conjunction with NODs. Still, in a low light scenario muzzle flash can be very disorienting, causing your eyes to be constantly adjusting thus decreasing situational awareness. Try it out if you can, whole different ball game at night. Other than that arguably big issue, I think it's a really sweet tack driving setup. Wish the damn KKM barrels weren't so expensive though.
    Last edited by BES; 04-19-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BES View Post
    Slowly drinking the kool-aid on this setup, possibly without the RMR though, I like JHCs setup alot. I'm more inclined to have a visible laser with irons. He let me shoot his and it was pretty damn sweet. (I've shot a 19 with and without RDS. I definitely could track my iron sights faster, that might be overcome with a more aggressive grip, not sure, still need to play with it more. ) My only bone to pick with this whole setup with the comp is the low light issue. It seems to create a lot of flash and illumination. Watch this video http://youtu.be/xb_c3nz14FY I'm not sure if I read it here on PF or somewhere else but people were debating that the extra illumination was negligible, specifically under NODs (night vision) ....LOL, not sure what type of NODs they were using, but if you ripped a few rounds off with that in front of your face with NODs on you'd be blind and disoriented through the string of fire. Ok I got it, 99% of people aren't using this in conjunction with NODs. Still, in a low light scenario muzzle flash can be very disorienting, causing your eyes to be constantly adjusting thus decreasing situational awareness. Try it out if you can, whole different ball game at night. Other than that arguably big issue, I think it's a really sweet tack driving setup. Wish the damn KKM barrels weren't so expensive though.
    Is there any reason the comped muzzle flash should be any worse than not load for load? The Gold Dot and Winchester PDX1 we've shot in darkness emitted barely a flicker of pale orange, when viewed from the side. Almost invisible from the shooter POV. So why would that increase? Maybe just loads and powder choices?

FWIW I wish there were more high flash loads around. Marketed as such.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List