Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

New Federal Cartridge shotgun loads for LE

Given Brenneke USA's recent QC issues and the unfortunate unavailability of true Rotweil Brennke loads in the U.S. currently, we have been looking for alternative slug loads that are capable of adequate penetration after first defeating intermediate barriers. We shot the new Federal (PB127 DPRS) Truball Deep Penetrator 1 oz slug load @ 1350 fps (http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...ug.aspx?id=902). It penetrated 24" of gel after first defeating an automobile windshield, with no deviation from trajectory and outstanding weight retention. The Federal Truball Deep Penetrator works as a potential Brenneke replacement. As a bonus, it is very accurate out to at least 100 yards.

-----------------------------

Based on IWBA data, Don Hacklander from San Diego Police Supply and I have been discussing the potential of a properly designed #1 buckshot LE load for many years--with Don's help and the efforts of some folks at ATK, this has now finally been brought to fruition!

We shot the new Federal #1 buckshot, 15 pellet, 1100 fps "Flight Control" load (LE132-1B) yesterday out of a generic 18" 870P, including patterning from 5-35 yards, as well as a bare gel shot at 7 yards. In bare gel, all 15 of the 30 caliber plated pellets penetrated in the 14-18 inch range.

This new Federal LE132-1B #1 buckshot load offers IDEAL terminal performance for LE and self-defense use and is the best option for those who need to use shot shells for such purposes.

Below are a couple photos of patterning shots at 7 and 25 yards:

Last edited by DocGKR; 02-27-2012 at 10:19 AM.

We are diminished
    Doc -- Any evaluation of the #1 properly running semiautos?

Nope, just 870's issued around here.

We are diminished
    Considering an 870 is the only shotgun I own at the moment, I suppose that's all I really need to worry about anyway. I'll have to reach out and get some of this stuff. Heretic that I am, I'm still a big believer in the shotgun as King of Home Defense.

This new #1 buckshot load is the KING of self-defense shot loads, so that will be a match made in heaven.

We are diminished
    Thanks for the info, Doc!

It's been a long time coming. Can't wait to get my hands on some.

I need to get some of this ammo. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I'll have to look and see if I can find some of it up here too....

if you can score me a few boxes let me know what it's worth dude.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List