Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9

Ruger LC9

Is anyone running a Ruger LC9 as a BUG?

I've carried a S&W 442 for the past five years or so in that role and carried a Glock 27 before that (too large for where I carried it). I have a new assignment that is leaving me drenched in sweat and my 442 is now experiencing some major rust issues. I need another BUG to carry while I get it refinished and at first was pondering a 642, but am now looking at the LC9.

Any thoughts?

I have an LC9 and have carried it a few times, loaded with standard psi 124 gr Gold Dot's. Trying to find a spare mag or a good holster is a be-atch! I had a local guy make me a kydex holster for OWB carry. I definetly need an IWB...it's slim enough to be easily concealed in the waistband. Trigger takes some getting used too and I hate mag disconnects, which Ruger LC9's come stock with. Mine is plenty accurate out to 20 yards for body shots. I can put all shots in the head scoring zone on an IDPA target from 10 yards.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 08-14-2011 at 09:35 PM.

I don't think there's a soul here that would recommend a Ruger LC9 over a Walther PPS or Kahr 9mm.

If you're still interested in the revolver route, I would 100% go with the Ruger LCR over the S&W. The trigger is better, and I've found the LCR to be outright pleasant to shoot compared to the 642 in the recoil department.

I have a LC9 and find it easy to conceal. I don't reccomend it over anything because it have no experience with any other modern small pistol. I do find that it is easier to shoot than The Walther PPK and PP pistols. I also find that I like it better than asmall revolver. I have shoot groups as small as 5 " at 25 yrds, but 8" is more standard (2 hands standing). When I carry it now it is in my right rear pocker, but I do have an IWB holster on order from Don Hume learher, the only one I could find. I haven't used Don Hume leather in years, but when I did use it 30 yrs ago it was very good , we will see how good it is now.

I bought the LC9 for my wife and she doesn't like it. The LC9 has some detractors (mag disconnect, long trigger pull, disassembly, comes from factory with only 1 magazine) and finding a holster at the moment is hard. Also, for me, a BUG need not have safeties and needs to be point & shoot. LC9 has a manual safety and that dreaded mag disconnect which takes it out of the BUG capacity for me. Let's be honest, if you need the BUG the poo has obviously hit the fan and your attacker is already on top of you. You do not need to worry about mag disconnects or a manual safety @ that point.

If your primary has already gone South, you can't beat a revolver as a BUG. That's why my BUG is a 442. It goes BANG! everytime I pull the trigger, and I've carried it for at least 10 years...no issues. Bought it used @ a local gun shop because I knew it was gonna take a beating.

I know folks that have the LCR and love it. I like the LC9 just fine (look, I made a rhyme! ), but it has its detractors.

Site Supporter
    I think deep down, you already know the answer: Kahr PM9 or a S&W 642.

I would get your current 442 NP3d. Stick with your blister -- the np3 will sex it up enough. I have a pleasant PM9 but I've talked to folks who have struggled with them.

Personally, I'm on the lookout for a Colt Cobra to backup my lightweight Commander. That's right: Cobra / Commander.

Jon
    Shenzhen
    Ignore Alien Orders

Funny, I had a Cobra that was my first BUG years ago, great little gun. Sold it to a guy who really wanted it, and one reason why is that finding support and parts for that gun nowadays is difficult. Everybody who can work Colt revolvers is dieing off.

As to the LC9, it is a smoother, nicer looking Kel Tec PF9 with added "safety" features. I had one, didn't like it, traded the gun off after about a week. If I wanted one of those guns I'd just go with the PF9. Seriously.

My thoughts are for you to get a Walther PPS.
    "When you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a T.V. set"-RDJB
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information, it is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent biases".- Me

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I don't think there's a soul here that would recommend a Ruger LC9 over a Walther PPS or Kahr 9mm.

If you're still interested in the revolver route, I would 100% go with the Ruger LCR over the S&W. The trigger is better, and I've found the LCR to be outright pleasant to shoot compared to the 642 in the recoil department.
    link from pistol-training concerning LC9 http://pistol-training.com/archives/4105

H&K P2ksk v2 9mm, Kahr K9, S&W 340pd. In that order. Or this from Smith, http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

8 rnds of .357 sounds alot better than 5 for not much more $$ Although shrouded hammer on the 340 (11.4oz) and less than a third the weight of the 627 (37.6oz)

Got your Kahr in there TGS
    Last edited by P30shtr; 08-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.

User Tag List