Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 590, 590A

Mossberg 590, 590A

I'm going to buy a newer 12 gauge pump. All of my life, the only pump gun I've ever even considered for anything has been the 870. That said, I got to looking at the Mossberg offerings and the various 590 and 590A1 offering caught my eye.

I'm asking some of you guys that use shotguns for defensive and /or LE applications that have experience with these pumps, how they are doing. How do they stack up against a currently produced 870? Are the differences between the "regular" 590 and the 590A1 worth worrying about?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I actually prefer the 500 or 590s over the 870. I've been to the armorer schools for both, and carried both at work, shot each extensively.

If you can afford the up-charge, then buy the 590
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I actually prefer the 500 or 590s over the 870. I've been to the armorer schools for both, and carried both at work, shot each extensively.

If you can afford the up-charge, then buy the 590
    I thought I remembered you mentioning that you preferred the Mossbergs to the Remy's. If I may ask, what makes them preferable to you? Are the upgrades on the 590A1 worth it over the "normal" 590? I think they are a heavier barrel, aluminum safety button and trigger guard.

The model that I'm really looking at is the 20" 590A1 with the factory ghost ring sights.

Is the 590A1 the one with a drop safe safety ?
    Most shotgun safeties just block the trigger, worthless !

Get a 590A1. You couldn't give me a new 870. They are extremely spotty. The older ones were fine & I have several, but the last 3 I've had just didn't cut it. I have a 590A1 & that thing just runs & runs. Plus, the 590 comes standard with a one piece mag tube, 8+1 right out of the box.

I have owned a 500 and currently have a 20" 590A1 with a front bead sight. Both models perform well.

I also have an older 870 Wingmaster but I like the placement of the safety on the Mossbergs better.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I got a deal on a very-lightly used Mossberg 590 many years ago.
    Got several boxes of birdshot and a case thrown in.

Intended to use it to shoot bowling pin matches but ended up using it for lousy weather
    bird and deer hunting and as a house shotgun.
    Like the ghost ring sights and the tang safety. Also the bayonet mount.

Had one small problem with the extractor but, after I found the fix on the Net, the local smith dealt with it
    quickly. (It would have been done a lot sooner if he'd checked for a fix on the Net the first time he had it
    at his shop.)

A large batch (100+) of 590 variants have given good service. 590A1 in 18" is my favorite, but I have 20" as well. For best results with the Mossberg, I've found these helpful in my 500s and 590s:

Replace OEM mag springs at frequent intervals. They are pretty poor.
    Remove, degrease, loctite, and reinstall stock screw, sling studs, ejector screw, sight screws, heat shield screws.
    Replace OEM follower with a high visibility unit.
    Watch extractors and springs, replace as needed.
    Last edited by ST911; 03-02-2015 at 10:40 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Remington is part of freedom group right? Not sure what's going on there lately. They screwed up the Marlin lever actions and a deputy I work with had the extractor fall out of his brand new 870 after fewer than 10 rounds when shooting it in a qual session for use on duty. Our agency 870's are much older but they frequently require us to mortar them in order to get a fired she'll out of the weapon.

In addition to preceding the safety placement on the 590's, I've found their dual extractors to be superb. I only started keeping round counts a few years ago so I can only guess that my 590 has around 400-500 rounds through it. I've had it since 1993. I can't recall any shells not coming out easily (low brass, high brass, slug, buck, bird). One day when I have all the other NFA toys I want, I'll snag a 590A1 with the 14" bbl.

Just noticied you can get a 590 and 590A1 straight from the factory with Magpul stock and fore-end. Totally worth that. Just add a light and you are in business.

The only 870 I would buy right now is one from Wilson or Vang Comp. And I love 870s and slick pump guns in general.

User Tag List