Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P recent production barrel issues?

M&P recent production barrel issues?

I have been reading some things on the interwebs recently regarding some new production M&P (9's mainly) which are having serious issues with the barrels. Specifically, there is an issue with the barrel crowns. I saw this recent post by Chris Costa on his facebook, which was very cryptic regarding the issues with the gun. The post shows two targets with a splatter of what appears to me to be keyholed bullets or fragment holes throughout the target. Costa indicated that these were from the barrels in the new M&P 9's "shotgunning" the target. There was little information as to the nature of the damage to the guns and there were no photos of the guns themselves. From Costa's post, he makes it sound like this is a recurring issue with recently produced M&P's. See his post here: https://www.facebook.com/Official.Ch...79194195445820

I also chatted with a gentleman online (also on facebook) who said that his fairly large police agency had attempted to transition to the M&P series a couple of years back and he personally had an M&P with serious issues with the barrel. He said that the barrel broke near the muzzle, but would still fire. I was unable to obtain any photos of the damage. Sounds similar to the issue Costa was addressing in his spacebook post.

My question is, are these guns experiencing some serious QC issues that we should be aware of? Does anyone have any more information about these incidents to include photos of the damage? I couldn't find anything else online other than these couple of instances.

I wasn't sure if this belonged in Autoloaders or Armorers, so feel free to yell if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Site Supporter
    The M&P seems to have perfected perpetual imperfection.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have a qualified purchaser discount with the M&P9 that would let me get the newest model with the best trigger with night sights for $399, and I still have yet to pull the trigger because the model has been so haunted with issues both substantiated and rumored from the word go. Might just go .40 S&W and call it a day.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I'm sure it's just a twist issue.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    No, I'm sure it's the barrel breaking near the muzzle.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    No, I'm sure it's the barrel breaking near the muzzle.
    I can only assume, due to lack of any photographic evidence that the barrels are fracturing at the point near the muzzle where the barrel steps down from the larger diameter portion nearest the muzzle to the slightly smaller diameter of the rest of the barrel. I know some of the very early M&P's had the issue of the barrel fracturing just ahead of the chamber where smith had placed an unnecessary groove (stress riser) for no apparent reason. I would like to be able to examine one of these affected guns or at the very least see photos. There seems to be lots of anecdotal evidence that this is happening, but nobody has photos. I don't want to recommend a gun to a student that is going to have these types of issues right out of the box.

Im familiar with some of the various M&P issues in the past, but this recent one is of grave concern. A broken barrel is a showstopper if you are in a gunfight. I have thousands of rounds through my M&P9fs without any parts breakages or gun related stoppages whatsoever and know ToddG put many thousands through one in his test and didn't shatter the barrel. Two guns is a very small sample size and isn't indicative of the product line as a whole.

M&P recent production barrel issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I heard it was the locking block. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I heard they're fixed and we should buy a bunch of them.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have a qualified purchaser discount with the M&P9 that would let me get the newest model with the best trigger with night sights for $399, and I still have yet to pull the trigger because the model has been so haunted with issues both substantiated and rumored from the word go. Might just go .40 S&W and call it a day.
    I've got the LE151215 SKU model, and it shoots Speer Lawman 124 grain ball ammo as well as a Glock 17 Gen 3 at 25 yards. Sample size of one and all, but if this models craps the bed, I'll post it up here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm....not going to say there have not been problems, because S&W certainly has had their share of FU's, but the last few thousand M&P9's I have seen in west coast LE issue seemed to work fine and did not blow-up or come apart...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List