Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a "serious shooter"?

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm not sure where the confusion lies. If I say someone is a serious cyclist, is that something you'd need to parse to understand conceptually? Are you a hard worker? If so, how do you define that?

Are you smart? By what measure?

Etc.

There are two words in "serious shooter." Both words have dictionary definitions. I think those definitions explain the term adequately. Trying to find something more specific (e.g., 10k rounds per year is serious but 9,999 isn't) is just an exercise in derp.
    Quoted for truth.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

I think of a "serious shooter" (or "switched on" or whatever adjective you prefer) as someone who puts in concentrated mental and physical effort to become a better shooter, and who adopts new gear and technique based on actual trial rather than by popular opinion.

I think the real differentiator is whether they measure their performance. That would include a) using a timer in training, b) keeping logs, and c) shooting established tests/drills and scoring targets afterwards.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 02-03-2015 at 11:11 AM.

I think effort level summarizes it. Bubba don't care and Bubba don't try. Someone tracking input/output and learning or adjusting is "serious."
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think effort level summarizes it. Bubba don't care and Bubba don't try. Someone tracking input/output and learning or adjusting is "serious."
    I think this is a pretty good essential definition. Though 'serious shooter' is a term I think I stay away from, because it feels like it minimizes people with other priorities outside of however we might define a serious shooter. Now that I say that, I am really wondering whether I have used the term...
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'd say it's the line between the folks that go out shooting vs the folks that go out to practice. Everything on the practice side of the line will have gradations made up of time, money and other responsibilities. The more time and money they have for shooting and the less responsibilities elsewhere that distract them, the higher the quality of the shooter.
    I'm not sure where the confusion lies. If I say someone is a serious cyclist, is that something you'd need to parse to understand conceptually? Are you a hard worker? If so, how do you define that?

Etc.

There are two words in "serious shooter." Both words have dictionary definitions. I think those definitions explain the term adequately. Trying to find something more specific (e.g., 10k rounds per year is serious but 9,999 isn't) is just an exercise in derp.

I think these two sum up my views almost perfectly. In my mind, and to Todd's point, the only word I'd add to the two words being defined is: FOCUS.

If you're serious about your shooting, then you are likely focused in some way or another on it. How that manifested is influenced by the things BaiHu mentioned. Everybody's situation is different, budgets, time, etc... but the "serious" "focused" attitude can be displayed regardless of those realities of life. JMHO. Out.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Etc.

I obviously disagree, as using the context clues it is pretty clear that people mean different things by it. Some would seem to exclude competition shooters. Some would seem to exclude anyone that doesn't do exactly what they do and how they do it with the equipment they use for the reasons they use. Some would seem to exclude anyone that doesn't carry every single day, 24 hours a day.

it seems to be becoming a catch-all that basically means "anyone I agree with that does what I do" and thereby excludes everyone else.

To that end, I'd like to know what people actually state that it means relative to the way they appear to use the term.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    , I am really wondering whether I have used the term...
    "advanced search" indicates that you have not used those two words in conjunction.

Site Supporter
    I never viewed it in terms of "serious" and whatever the antonym of that would be...recreational? Lackadaisical? Satirical? Idk...

To me, there are sport shooters, defensive/offensive shooters, and people to whom gun ownership is important because it is their right. These can overlap, or perhaps they never do. Some competitive shooters, like Bob Vogel, also focus on defensive shooting (he was a police officer at some point IIRC). Some defensive shooters, like Frank Proctor, or our very own King of Junk Carry, also shoot competition. Some people, like Eric Grauffel, shoot only competition, and some defensive shooting instructors never shoot competition. Some people own guns for those reasons, some people own guns because they can.

That last group I think is where many people started out. Some never move past that and as long as they're safe and responsible, that's great. If any of the above is unsafe and irresponsible, I will have notions about them. James Yeager or Tex Grebner are examples of just such derp from a few different categories. I would not seriously consider them for much, but I have no doubt that they consider themselves quite serious. JMHO

A serious shooter is someone who takes shooting seriously. I know that's a tautology, but come on, this is ridiculous.

"He's a serious USPSA shooter because he dry fires three times a week and trains hard in live fire."

"He's a serious self-defense shooter because he makes careful choices about his gear and attends a serious class every year."

This isn't rocket science, brah.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    but come on, this is ridiculous.
    It is. It borders on "serious trolling."

You previously said you don't have time to dryfire, but you're wasting time with this thread.

User Tag List