Thread: Is the Ruger LCR 357 GTG?

Is the Ruger LCR 357 GTG?

Im thinking about getting my first revolver after shooting a Ruger LCR 357. Is this a reliable carry piece?

It's at that size where pocket carry is awkward and at that weight where .357's are uncomfortable to shoot. If you want a .357, I'd get a heavier gun with a good holster. If you want a small revolver, I'd get the .38 version.

The gun is reported to be very reliable, but I don't have direct experience. I would get the 357 LCR rather than the 38 LCR for the extra weight, but shoot "heavy" 38 +P, such as made by Buffalo Bore, or the short barrel version of the Gold Dot in 38 +P or 357 which is a light load.

http://www.speer-ammo.com/products/short_brl.aspx

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=108

As far as the gun goes, yes, those are a reliable choice.

The other considerations on this choice have been noted.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Mine only has about 100 rounds of 357 (Buffalo Bore and Gold Dots- both of the short barrel variety. I find it surprisingly pleasant to shoot which I attribute to the soft grips. It's manageable in a pocket with the right pants and holster. I've tried a Desantis Nemisis and a RKBA Revolver Pocket. There is no way i can pull it off with jeans, but it works alright with my Duluth or Vertx pants. I wish I had more to add, but haven't had a bunch range time lately.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    It's at that size where pocket carry is awkward and at that weight where .357's are uncomfortable to shoot. If you want a .357, I'd get a heavier gun with a good holster. If you want a small revolver, I'd get the .38 version.
    I was actually surprised how little recoil it had with 357. I guess revolvers recoil differently than semi auto's?

Maybe the 9mm version?

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    I was actually surprised how little recoil it had with 357. I guess revolvers recoil differently than semi auto's?
    I'm not saying it's terrible, I'm just saying if I'm gonna be totin' & shooting .357, it's gonna be in a substantial gun ala K frame or larger.

As much as wood grips look nice, rubber ones take the cake on full house rounds. I have not shot a lcr with .357 but the lightweight snubby I shot with hollow points was a lot friendlier with rubber grips and a covered backstrap than fancy wood ones. I would not want to shoot 200 rounds at a time but for practice and having personal protection loads I could definitely stomach them. I have knly shot a lcr in .38 and it was easier on the hands with .38+p then my j frame smith.

User Tag List