Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which barrel?

Which barrel?

Building a new ar15 upper, trying to decide between a BCM BFH Gov profile Midlength or an ar15performance socom fluted barrel,both 16". Any input is appreciated.

I'm a fan of lightweight barrels.
    #RESIST

Not so sound like a broken record, but do you have a specific goal or task in mind for the rifle?

If not, and even if so under certain circumstances, I'll second LL's recommendation for lightweight barrels. I've been using them since before it was cool, and have never found a reason to stop.

This, to me, is the de-facto barrel to buy if you don't know what else to buy or don't have some special-snowflake application
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...16lw%20bfh.htm

If you're not sold on hammer-forging, or want a barrel that's even lighter, this would be my default suggestion. It's also $40 less expensive. If/when they release this in the BFH version it would become my default suggestion, and I'm likely to buy 2-3 of them myself.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...-elw-f-std.htm

Regardless of profile, the only people I can think of right off that I'd buy barrels from are:
    -Bravo Company (BCM)
    -Daniel Defense
    -Centurion Arms
    -Noveske Rifleworks
    -Colt (usually take-offs from other people)

All others are, to me, suspect, and I can think of no use or application that the above cannot fit any need, up to and including weirdo calibers like 6.8 and 300 WTF.

KAC makes good barrels too but their are a proprietary barrel extension (and therefore bolt), proprietary gas tube length, and not sold individually.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-30-2015 at 08:25 AM.

You'd be surprised at how much of a difference the LW barrel makes in handling characteristics.
    #RESIST

I am also a light barrel guy. I note that people who have had to carry their rifles long distances tend to be.

Outside of full auto applications I see almost zero call for a heavier barrel, unless one is doing something special as Rob noted.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Hmmm not familiar with 300 WTF lol,it will be used for home defense,vehicular carry,for mass shootings of varmints,and the occasional benchrest plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    Hmmm not familiar with 300 WTF
    Rob is referring to .300 Blackout.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Rob is referring to .300 Blackout.
    I caught that I forgot to add,I will be adding a Silencerco Omega in the future,is gov profile better than lw for this?

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    I caught that I forgot to add,I will be adding a Silencerco Omega in the future,is gov profile better than lw for this?
    Having shot suppressors on both LW and .gov profile barrels, I prefer a .gov; especially if it's going to be 16" or longer. The primary reason is for less flex/POI shift with the stiffer (at least at the end) barrel. There might also be something to the thought about the heat the suppressor adds and a thicker barrel being able to handle that.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I do know of people that have experienced barrel droop due to suppressor usage.
    #RESIST

User Tag List