Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson's 1911 Flat-Wire Recoil Spring.

Wilson's 1911 Flat-Wire Recoil Spring.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wir...oductinfo/614/

I've been using a couple of these since they were first introduced and thought I'd provide some feedback. This product was touted as being a longer lasting, overall superior item to the standard recoil spring. I have found this not to be the case. First, the spring will not stay captured with the proprietary guide rod like the standard 1911 recoil spring. This is a minor point but something that's a pain in the arse during reassembly. Most importantly, it doesn't seem to live up to the claim of lasting ten times as long as a conventional recoil spring. My samples of two have pooped the bed at around five thousand rounds, one of which has been used exclusively with lighter target loads, not even full power hardball. That particular 1911 went from being stone cold reliable to having four or five failures to return to battery every fifty rounds once that 4.5 to 5K round count was reached. Replacing the Wilson spring with an old fashioned round wire spring solved the problem and reliability was restored. For me, the juice doesn't seem to be worth the squeeze on this particular innovation.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Thanks for the report.

Always interesting to hear of personal experiences that contradict advertising hyperbole.
    I have nothing against Wilson Combat, but I'm definitely not interested in paying extra $ for springs that don't clearly offer significant advantages over standard music wire springs (e.g., Wolfe, ISMI).
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I am inclined to agree.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I've been using flat wire springs for years in 4" 1911's. Got the first ones from ISMI, who probably supplies WC. They have held up great....I'm a huge fan. I have zero problems with them staying on the guide rod.....and have yet to have to replace one. I'm not big on keeping track of round counts( I know I should, but I don't)....but I buy loaded ammo in 1000 rd cases, and primers in 5K sleeves. I shoot a bit, and have flat wire springs that have been in guns for over 5 years, and are still running fine. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wir...oductinfo/614/

First, the spring will not stay captured with the proprietary guide rod like the standard 1911 recoil spring. This is a minor point but something that's a pain in the arse during reassembly.
    Funny, I find full length guide rods a pain in the arse, which is why I yank them out of my 1911s.

I don't count rounds, but I installed a Wilson flat recoil spring in 2013 right before a Hackathorn class and I'm still chugging along with it. Initially the slide seemed to cycle slower, but this either went away, or I got used to it. I'll probably put one in a recently acquired Baer.

This is the way I take down my 1911s, I don't use a bushing tool or remove the bushing first.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Funny, I find full length guide rods a pain in the arse, which is why I yank them out of my 1911s.
    So do I which is why I don't use them. I didn't say anything about a full length guide rod.

We are diminished
    I had a lot of success with the Wilson flat wire spring in my 9mm Springfield. Per Wilson it is essentially a lifetime part in a 9mm.

In my Burton gun (also 9mm) the spring/rod flat wire combination felt like sand grating against itself compared to the round wire spring and regular guide rod. I may go back and try the 11# flat wire spring eventually just to avoid having to change springs but it's a shame to give up the ultra smooth movement of the slide as it exists with the normal spring setup.

The Wilson flatwire spring was announced, and I installed one shortly after acquiring my first CQB/45 at about 2000 rds. Im now knocking on the door of 10,000 with no recoil spring issues of any kind and no hint of it wearing out. I have both guide rods, the one with the step (for shokbuff) and the version without and tend to use the one without and no Buff. Ive had zero issues with assembly or disassembly. I did notice a bit of a "scritchy" sound when I first installed, that disappeared very quickly and action smoothness is equal to a round wire.

It was back at that time as well, that Bill Riehl wrote some fairly technical posts explaining the mechanical engineering benefits of these. I suspect a search of the archives would turn that up or mebbe someone has a link?
    Last edited by tomr; 01-29-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Maybe I got springs from a bad batch? Who knows. I liked the feel of the guns cycling with the springs and my samples worked fine when they worked. However, their lifespan proved to be far shorter than the advertised next to forever, so I don't feel the need to buy any more.

User Tag List