Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Trend of leaving M&P platform

I'm a lone data point but I love my m&p9fs. Loaned it to frank proctor and a zone hits were not a problem although he did comment that while it wasn't the most accurate it was plenty. I did fine during the course it took from him that weekend with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    OK.

I'll play.

Is there any cost differential between a G19 and a Wilson Combat CQB 1911?

If I am in charge of an LE agency's firearms procurement and need to budget taxpayer funds for 100 new pistols, how many G19's and how many Wilson Combat CQB 1911's would I be able to purchase for the same amount of money? How much will it cost to maintain G19's vs. 1911's over the life cycle of the weapons?
    And I'll play.

Sarg...you're taking my glock 19 and giving me a pistol that shoots 1 inch groups at 25 yards and has a nice trigger and all, but it holds less than half as many rounds and to be honest, I shoot 2-4" groups at 25 yards when I'm shooting slow from a fixed position. I also kindof noticed it's pretty heavy, and, a few of us have had frequent malfunctions. How much did you save going to this cheaper model? WHAT!?!?! THERE WENT MY RAISE FOR THE DECADE!!!

I don't know anyone who wants a 1911 for serious use. Even Hilton Yam dumped them. Even me pussy footing around on the square range can't use even Wilson's super grade without it failing to meet my reliability expectations which my sig, glock, and M&P easily have.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I believe tomr was referencing individual gun forum posters.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tomr View Post
    Amen.

Was thinking about this some more. Why is it that folks who've made a choice to avoid entirely, (for whatever reason) or move away from the 1911, love to trash it in such a non specific, generic way? Is it fair to compare a Glock 19 to a 1911? Isn't this Honey Crisp apples and orange juice? Within the Glock brand some models are sweeter than others. But for a nine mm, service pistol, Doc's favorite G19 is a proven brand, model, caliber. All 1911s are not created equal. At the risk of revealing my prejudice, I suggest a proper comparison should be more along the lines of say a Wilson Combat CQB, 45 and that Glock 19. Prof Riehl's expounded eloquently along these lines in the past. With 100 plus years of history and all the brands/companies piling on, maintenance history all over the place, tweaking John Brownings design in ways never intended, and then the magazine and ammo issues, we seem stuck in mythology. Glocks run with Glock magazines. No one recommends after market mags for Glocks. 1911s are subject to all kinds of after market magazines and the resulting failed combo results in a knock on the pistols design. I cry foul. There are reasons to choose a G19 over a CQB, depending, but some of what gets repeated based on all this history as the reason, isn't it.
    Maybe not on the mag thing-we'll have to wait and see how the Magpul Glock magazines turn out, and if they proliferate throughout the Glock model palette.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    I don't suppose you could expand on this?

I'm going to take a guess that they may be referring to the locking block and tightening the slide to frame fit.

Quote Originally Posted by tomr View Post
    Don't have a clue. Why would we buy from the vast majority, when proven makers are out there. Same argument, buy from a good source not one that needs fixing - no?

Not everyone can afford a Nighthawk, Wilson or Heirloom Precision

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    OK.

I'll play.

Is there any cost differential between a G19 and a Wilson Combat CQB 1911?

If I am in charge of an LE agency's firearms procurement and need to budget taxpayer funds for 100 new pistols, how many G19's and how many Wilson Combat CQB 1911's would I be able to purchase for the same amount of money? How much will it cost to maintain G19's vs. 1911's over the life cycle of the weapons?
    Of course there is. And note, I wrote, "There are reasons to choose a G19 over a CQB, depending," I wasn't kidding. I carried a 1911. For a year. Over there. in the jungle. Ewell Gibbons was an inspiration. I cut the strings off tea bags, preferred LRPs to C-rats. And refused to scrounge for, and/or carry the cool for the day, aluminum framed packs. More bullets woulda been good, my solution was an M16 to boot. If I had it to do over and know what I think I know now, and had a choice, I'd take the Glock. My point was, others may choose differently. Thats their choice, based on their situation. But when we compare tools of the trade do it case by case. Do it fairly, do it by brand, model and caliber. Then make your choice. The general 1911's are unreliable trashing done by others here, based on their own experience or mythology isn't useful. And by the way, mine always went bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    And I'll play.

Sarg...you're taking my glock 19 and giving me a pistol that shoots 1 inch groups at 25 yards and has a nice trigger and all, but it holds less than half as many rounds and to be honest, I shoot 2-4" groups at 25 yards when I'm shooting slow from a fixed position. I also kindof noticed it's pretty heavy, and, a few of us have had frequent malfunctions. How much did you save going to this cheaper model? WHAT!?!?! THERE WENT MY RAISE FOR THE DECADE!!!

I don't know anyone who wants a 1911 for serious use. Even Hilton Yam dumped them. Even me pussy footing around on the square range can't use even Wilson's super grade without it failing to meet my reliability expectations which my sig, glock, and M&P easily have.
    Really? Wilson Super Grade couldn't match a Sig reliability or 9mm M&P trigger and accurcay? What've I been reading about these latter for months, (years) in this very same forum. In fact in this thread?
    Last edited by tomr; 02-04-2015 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
    Not everyone can afford a Nighthawk, Wilson or Heirloom Precision

Of course. That'd indeed be a reason to choose.

[QUOTE=Tamara;291907]Why is it that you generalize folks who've chosen to move away from the 1911? "

Why not?

User Tag List