Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Trend of leaving M&P platform

Trend of leaving M&P platform

I am a semi-n00b shooter running an MP9FS. I am noticing occasional comments from members on this forum indicating that they have moved away from the M&P, suggesting that this platform has fallen out of favor by many. I understand that there were accuracy issues on M&Ps of a certain vintage, but I had thought that those issues were resolved and put behind S&W. (?)

Mine was manufactured in 2011, and I shoot fairly well with it. I'm a fan of the M&Ps simple design, easy-to-manipulate controls and the lack of external safeties (save the hinged trigger). It also points more naturally for me, much better than the P30 LEM I had a few years back and just never fired well. I suppose my greater success with the M&P is attributable to a more focused effort on technique. But I still seem to have odd fliers that I cannot call, and this makes me wonder whether it's me or the pistol---and whether I'm potentially working backwards, giving up some shooting success (accuracy) with the M&P.

I'd like some commentary from those who have experience with the M&P and who have moved away from it. What made you make that decision, and what did you move towards?

After shooting a bunch of different rental pistols at the range last year, I selected an M&P FS9 as my first firearm.

So far, I've been really trying to focus on the concept of 'select a reliable latform, spend your money on training and ammo.'

But, you know, as one does, I do tend to day dream about replacing the M&P with something 'better' lol (my situation kind of dictates I only can own one "do it all" firearm.).

I have gone so far as to set up a short list of alternatives, but based on my (limited, obviously) knowledge, I haven't identified anything I'd trade my M&P in for.

If I had one thing I would change about my M&P, it would be to give up 17 round capacity for a slight reduction in size. I'm not a huge guy, 5'7", so a Glock-19 sized 14/15 round M&P would be about perfect (not a fan of the M&P compact).

Looking forward to this discussion.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
    After shooting a bunch of different rental pistols at the range last year, I selected an M&P FS9 as my first firearm.

So far, I've been really trying to focus on the concept of 'select a reliable latform, spend your money on training and ammo.'

But, you know, as one does, I do tend to day dream about replacing the M&P with something 'better' lol (my situation kind of dictates I only can own one "do it all" firearm.).

I have gone so far as to set up a short list of alternatives, but based on my (limited, obviously) knowledge, I haven't identified anything I'd trade my M&P in for.

If I had one thing I would change about my M&P, it would be to give up 17 round capacity for a slight reduction in size. I'm not a huge guy, 5'7", so a Glock-19 sized 14/15 round M&P would be about perfect (not a fan of the M&P compact).

Looking forward to this discussion.

Rich
    Interesting, as we are somewhat in the same boat. I, too, stand 5'7" and yet I find the MP9FS's size and concealment capability are just fine.

I'm just beginning to think (or overthink) about any obvious accuracy issues that may be holding me back.

I don't mean to sound snide, Ubervic, but the M&P issues have already been subject to some very detailed discussions here on the forum-both in the past and recently; to save some time, you might want to try the Search function, or simply peruse thread topics for the past couple of months here.

Best, Jon

I would shoot them in a heartbeat if they made an effort to actually fix the guns and produce something that was capable of maintaining down zero-A zone hits to the ranges seen in competition and a decent group at 25 yards.

Thus far S&W has thumbed their nose at people and not done anything meaningful.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

For years I thought it was me and not the M&P. I had several folks whom I trust shoot my M&Ps (I had 5 M&Ps at one time, one had over 10,000 rounds on it). I now shoot Glocks. It wasn't me.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I don't mean to sound snide, Ubervic, but the M&P issues have already been subject to some very detailed discussions here on the forum-both in the past and recently; to save some time, you might want to try the Search function, or simply peruse thread topics for the past couple of months here.

Best, Jon
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    I guess I just made the very characteristic and ill-advised n00b error of asking before searching. lol

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out.
    I guess I just made the very characteristic and ill-advised n00b error of asking before searching. lol
    Not a problem-you'll see that there has been some very knowledgeable and detailed discussion about the M&P's vicissitudes, especially the 9mm M&Ps. One of the most knowledgeable participants on the 9mm M&P is P-F member Bill Riehl; I'd suggest paying particular attention to his analysis and work-throughs regarding the 9mm M&P saga.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I would shoot them in a heartbeat if they made an effort to actually fix the guns and produce something that was capable of maintaining down zero-A zone hits to the ranges seen in competition and a decent group at 25 yards.

Thus far S&W has thumbed their nose at people and not done anything meaningful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    For years I thought it was me and not the M&P. I had several folks whom I trust shoot my M&Ps (I had 5 M&Ps at one time, one had over 10,000 rounds on it). I now shoot Glocks. It wasn't me.
    Though I am discouraged to see that, evidently, the M&P issues have not been resolved, these comments give me great hope that I am likely a better shooter than my current range results indicate.
    Last edited by ubervic; 01-29-2015 at 02:42 PM.

Without statistical survey data, can it be said that there is indeed a "trend" of people leaving the M&P? Its easy to fall into "echo chamber syndrome" with these topics.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List