Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Trend of leaving M&P platform

I was cleaning my new Shield today and compared the internals to my older G26 Gen4.

Does anyone else notice that the SW parts seemed more polished? (trigger bar and safety plunger specifically)

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I think it is often best to get data from individuals who supervise the use of hundreds or even thousands of a particular type of pistol in order to discover true trends...
    Gentlemen, we have a winner with this statement!

But one also needs to keep in mind the time frame the agency weapons were purchased. When my agency obtained the first M&P9's (2006ish), we brought in about 1,200 guns. When the M&P9c came out, another 450 of those were obtained. About the same time, our staffing went from 1,100 officers to about 940. So we didn't need to buy new guns until transitioning to our second issue of M&P9's about 18-24 months ago. So we have good data on the original M&P9's (some of the first ever made) and of the last batch. But any issues or trends that occurred during the timeframe we didn't need to buy guns would escape our armors.

My point is that if you are going to research "issues" with a particular pistol design, you need to look at agencies or groups who issue a number of the same gun. And you also need to consider when those guns were purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Very informative (and entertaining) commentary. Thanks to all who have contributed.

My main takeaways:

1. I need to bench my pistol at 25 yds and collect enough objective data to form a valid conclusion about its accuracy.
    2. The data collected from #1 will drive any decisions about continuing with this pistol or moving to another, at least as far as relative/required accuracy is concerned.
    I think this is a wise move on your part. Shoot your pistol to see if you even have an issue. If you do, then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    My point is that if you are going to research "issues" with a particular pistol design, you need to look at agencies or groups who issue a number of the same gun. And you also need to consider when those guns were purchased.
    And what their standards are.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I think it is often best to get data from individuals who supervise the use of hundreds or even thousands of a particular type of pistol in order to discover true trends...
    Just so. There is a reason I read and recommend only PF.com and occasionally Enos to the new shooters I know.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    And what their standards are.

True...

Does anyone know if the 9L models exhibited the same accuracy issues that the regular 9FS did?

It was my understanding they did.

Hilton Yam references the M&P in this blog post:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=13938#more-13938
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Boredom is sometimes a reason too, but it's not often publicly blamed.
    Absolutely. And I'm guilty of it.

On the topic of the thread, after buying my M&P last year with essentially zero knowledge, training or experience, I'm definitely having second thoughts.

Is the grip too big around for my smaller hands?

Do I really need 17+1 rounds?

And what about these 'accuracy issues' you keep seeing reports of?

Guaranteed: I need to stop worrying about the hardware and get more training/ammo, but hey, it's kind of like a hobby, so why the heck not. I don't have a lifetime of gun experiences to rely back on. So, to me, changing my gun like I change my socks (ok, not really, lol ) is not so far-fetched.

So, with that, I have to fess up, lately I've been looking at the range of options available, now factoring in my recent (limited) firearm experience.

Since my first concern is the size of the pistol for my wife and I (I'm 5'7", she's 5'2"; we share the pistol for HD, range, etc.), considering all the other factors that went into why I picked the M&P FS9, I'm looking at a number of options. Below is the list and a few notes I made, with some dimensions:

Gun Options

M&P FS9 Length 7.5" Height 5.5" Barrel 4.3" $499 17 rounds (current pistol)
    Sig Sauer SP2022 SA/DA?
    Sig Sauer P320C Length 7.2" Height 5.3" Barrel 3.9" $669 15 rounds
    Sig Sauer P320. Length 8.0" Height 5.5" $649 Too big?
    S&W Shield9 Length 6.1" Height 4.6" Barrel 3.1" $449 Too small?
    Walther PPS Length 6.3" Height 4.9" Barrel 3.2". 8 rounds = not enough?
    Glock 19 Length 7.3" Height 5.0" Barrel: 4.0" Slide bite, weird grip (to me)
    Walther PPQ Length 7.1" Height 5.3" Barrel 4.0" High bore axis?
    Walther PPX Ugly gun, yuk.
    HK VP9 Length 7.3" Height 5.4" Barrel 4.1" Too Big?
    HK P2000 Length 6.9" Height 5.1" Barrel 3.7" Better ergos in P30?
    HK P30 Length 7.1" Height 5.3" Barrel 3.9" SA/DA, LEM option 15 rounds $877.
    HK P2000SK Length 6.4" Height 4.5" Barrel 3.3" 10 rounds. Too small?

Out of that list, a HK P30 LEM V2:

- is reliable
    - is accurate
    - has customizable grips
    - is lefty friendly
    - has a 1913 rail
    - features a consistent trigger pull, every single time
    - has a simple manual of arms (no TS, no decocker)
    - Glock 19 sized (ish)

Kind of interesting this is pretty close to my list of 'wants' when I bought my M&P, except being a bit smaller (which I like) and the price tag (which is high, but doable)...hmmm...hmmm...

Rich in Tampa
    Last edited by RJ; 01-31-2015 at 06:24 PM.

I have been following this thread and I work with someone how shoot IDPA with an M&P 9. He got on when LASO announced they were going to the M&P 9 and he want to check it out. He got a L.E. model with all the upgrades. I ask about it time to time because I like the M&P. I shoot well with the once I have shot. Better then the Glocks I own. He told me the issue that plagued the gun have been taken care of. He told me the new barrel pretty accurate now. He told me the only thing he did not care for was the trigger. He told the trigger is okay. He put in an Apex Trigger which he likes better.
    I like reading the reviews online about item I would like to buy. Hands down, the best reviews of items I want to buy are talking to people who own those items. They will tell the truth about an item. You need to ask more then one person. You will be people you ask, the more feed back you get. Thats just my 2 cents in the issue.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill
    C.A. P.C. 832

User Tag List