Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: There is nothing new under the sun. Not even derp.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

There is nothing new under the sun. Not even derp.

Behold the Harrington & Richardson .25ACP Self-Loader, made between 1919 and 1921. Note that while it has a loaded chamber indicator, it is devoid of even the most vestigial sights.

My roommate maintains that the purpose of a firearm like this is to allow for an intended victim to yell from the other side of a door "Don't come in! I've got a gun!" and not be lying.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

And it looks suspiciously like a predecessor of the WWII OSS stamped single-shot Liberator...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    And it looks suspiciously like a predecessor of the WWII OSS stamped single-shot Liberator...
    The proportions are somewhat similar, aren't they? The H&R, though, is a derivative of the Webley 1912 .25ACP.

(As an aside for those that didn't know, this is an example of the sort of realities that pervade the gun business: Colt held Browning's patent for "In a firearm, the combination with a frame having a forward extension, a reaction spring mounted in said forward extension, and a barrel, of a breech block or bolt carrier having a semitubular, forward extension to inclose the barrel and to engage said frame and to slide thereon..." The Webley's slide did not "inclose the barrel" and therefore did not infringe the Browning patent.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 01-27-2015 at 09:20 PM.

The word is about, there's something evolving,
    whatever may come, the world keeps revolving
    They say the next big thing is here,
    that the revolution's near,
    but to me it seems quite clear
    that it's all just a little bit of history repeating

-Shirley Bassey.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

But laser

...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Well, eeeeeveryone knows that sights just slow down one's quick draw to the hip shooting position, right?

It'd be an interesting test to see how well/quickly you actually can shoot that thing without any sights. Assuming you trust it to not blow up in your hand.

In all fairness, the curve of the top would do a pretty good job of helping you keep the pistol on target up close, at least if shooting it is anything like shooting the sight-free, work-in-progress 1911 that SecondsCount had a few years back. It was surprising how easy it was to keep on target within 10 yards or so.

Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    It'd be an interesting test to see how well/quickly you actually can shoot that thing without any sights. Assuming you trust it to not blow up in your hand.
    Oh, I trust it just fine. It's a well-made little gun. Magazine's seen better days, though, so who knows if it'll run or not. Fortunately, Triple K stocks repros. (Which is interesting, because compared to its closest domestic competitor, the iconic Colt 1908 Vest Pocket, the H&R .25 was a flop, selling only 16,000 guns in three years of production.)

User Tag List