Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working through the 2000 round challenge again wth my Shadows

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    I had recently had two detonations in my match gun that were because of damp powder in my powder jug, how that happened I have no idea, but you could see the moisture in the measure once I took it apart. This caused bridging of the powder and I was getting a full grain too little in my cases. Result, KABOOM. Didn't hurt the gun except for the extractor, which I didn't replace until Sunday d
    Wonder if you could elaborate on this. Usually think of "detonation" as explosion, (different from over pressure and resultant case failure and gun damage) - something that was once written about with reduced powder charges of slow burning powder in certain calibers some years back. I would've guessed you'd been loading something faster than say 2400 or 296, though. The term "Kaboom" was I believe popularized by unsupported case heads in 40 Glocks - wasn't it? Don't associate reduced charges of typical 9mm powders with detonation. Like to know more if thats a potential. Is it possible the clumping caused both light AND heavier charges? CZs have pretty good case head support I believe, did you see case head failure?

Case failure would be an understatement. I have both cases as the gun jammed solid when they let go, but not at home right now. I've always been told that light charges in 9mm can cause nasty detonations due to all the powder being ignited at once instead of a controlled burn of the powder. I threw 100 charges with the wet powder and they varied from 2.8-3.2grs, I was looking for 3.6gs of Tightgroup.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    Case failure would be an understatement. I have both cases as the gun jammed solid when they let go, but not at home right now. I've always been told that light charges in 9mm can cause nasty detonations due to all the powder being ignited at once instead of a controlled burn of the powder. I threw 100 charges with the wet powder and they varied from 2.8-3.2grs, I was looking for 3.6gs of Tightgroup.
    Questions... lots of questions, sorry. Like you, wonder where the wet powder came from? And to, wonder wet from what - water, or? When you say you weighed 100 charges, was that 100 x individual charges or say, drop and weigh 10, then divide by 10 to get individual? Electronic or balance beam scale? Moisture in powder will distort charge weight and do to variable drying, cause variation in charge weight. Clumping's another thing. "Case failure" or "case head failure"? What's COL? Combine a short (or variable COL) with a high dropped charge of powder and pressure goes up. Do you use "push" test (as distinct from "plunk" test) to determine COL? Hope this doesn't feel like third degree, trying to learn so I don't repeat.

Something had happened in my house while I was away to Europe, and I'm still not sure what, it only seemed to affect my reloading room. A can of Hornady One Shot case lube I'd been using prior to my trip bubbled up and emptied itself. Not an explosion, but it just seemed to leak out of the nozzle. That and the powder in the container somehow have water condense in it are very strange things. No other items in the room had anything happen to them.
    As for the 100 charges, that was 100 charges in a row that I threw. Everyone of them off by a significant amount. I emptied, cleaned and dried out the powder measure (it was empty and dry when I started, although I didn't check the metering area of the measure when I started the problem run, and put in new, non clumping, non damp feeling powder. It threw at the right charge weight with no issue. Empty it all out again, put the other powder back in and played with the meter thimble and never got a consistent throw, always well under what I wanted. The powder simply wasn't dropping in reliably.
    I cannot come up with any ideas on how that bottle of powder got wet, but you could see the moisture on it. You can't now, it's been dried. And feels like regular powder again. Using it though, well, we'll see.
    COL is 1.1" And that hasn't changed. I don't see a high charge being possible as there were no double pulls on the handle of the 1050. Anytime I get a hung up case or a problem, all the case come out and I start fresh on the press. I then address any primed cases in that bunch at the end of the run. A double charge would also be visible to me and the only place I watch is the case moving into and out of the bullet feed station.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List