Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too much time on my hands...but interesting data-point regarding sealed ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You should try test firing after immersion.
    I don't think wet powder would work as well or as consistently as dry powder, and don't want to end up rodding a bullet out of the bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'd say test firing is the real "test".

FWIW, I've had at least a couple hundred rounds of various Speer and Federal 9mm ball go through my washing machine over the years, never had a dud from doing so.
    Ditto for me and my 9mm reloads.

Well...that wasn't even necessary. Put some Hornady TAP GMX in a glass of water for a few hours. Clumped powder. Next I will subject it to rigorous splashing... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I'd say test firing is the real "test".

FWIW, I've had at least a couple hundred rounds of various Speer and Federal 9mm ball go through my washing machine over the years, never had a dud from doing so.
    Washing machine? Same experience with me! Sample of 12-15 rounds over the years, several makers and calibers of center fire handgun ammo, and my own reloads. All fired fine a few days/weeks afterwards, after drying.

It would be interesting to see if the drying time alters results...

Because I'm curious, and I've never heard of an injury from washing ammo, I threw 3 rounds of 64gr GDSP into the washer with my clothes last night. All 3 came out dry inside. Powder shaking/making noise.

I think that the lack of compression during crimping using a copper projectile is possibly an issue.

Well...Here I am. A solution to my OCD! The color of it looks identical to the X135, MK318, and IMI MK262 that I have on their case necks, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Well...Here I am. A solution to my OCD! The color of it looks identical to the X135, MK318, and IMI MK262 that I have on their case necks, even.
    Well, if you get some of the Markron, I'd love to see you re-run the test.

As an update, I reached out to Jeff Hoffman of Black Hills, and pointed out that the ammunition they produce is premium ammunition, at a premium price, and that I and many others found value in ammunition sealed at both ends, per mil-spec. He has agreed to load all future TSX and GMX ammunition with sealed case necks. Pricing will remain the same. Jeff is good people.

User Tag List