Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garden & Gun: I had to read 3 times for it to sink in

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The best barbecue on the planet comes from Texas, full stop. There is no argument about this, there can be no argument about this, it is a fact. If you attempt to argue this your right to the best barbecue on the planet will be forever revoked. All others are imitators, some may be of high caliber, but they are imitators.

Nothing, nothing, will ever compare to the barbecoa my great grandfather used to cook in south Texas. I was knee-high to a grasshopper the first time I helped him dig a pit to roast a goat in. If I had some land I'd go out back right now and start digging a pit. We dug the pit, built a bed of stone and then started to burn mesquite in it. Once a good, hot bed of coals was going, it was add some wood to burn more, then toss a thin layer of dirt on top and put the meat on it. He put chili powder and salt on the meat, spritzed a little water to get a steam going, then buried the whole thing, careful to make an inlet for fresh air and a chimney for exhaust. We let it cook a whole day, I remember standing out by it the next morning, it smelled so good you wanted to dig it up and eat it on the spot. ~Err...sorry I got a lot lost in the memory there, it's snowing outside and I am recalling a hot summer day in Texas with a lot of good food.~

Someday, I'm gonna open a restaurant that only makes BBQ the way my grandparents and great grandparents made it...After you eat a killer meal, you can go out back to the shooting range and bust some caps or peruse some guns. Then head over to the distillery and have some freshly distilled (or aged) spirits, before you go over to the hand-rolled cigar station for a fresh cigar. I'm gonna call it "Rob's Barbecue, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Ranch". Everyone is invited.
    Would it be in Lockhart or would you buy The Salt Lick and replace that silly vineyard with the distillery and the range ?

Since you are stuck in Chicago, i'm only gonna say this once ... barbacoa taco (the cabeza de vaca kind) and Big Red ...

Site Supporter
    Smoque BBQ in Chicago is pretty good.
    http://www.smoquebbq.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Would it be in Lockhart or would you buy The Salt Lick and replace that silly vineyard with the distillery and the range ?

Since you are stuck in Chicago, i'm only gonna say this once ... barbacoa taco (the cabeza de vaca kind) and Big Red ...
    You are a horrible human being, but I like you anyways.

I don't know if I can tear down the vineyard at The Salt Lick. My wife and I looked at having our wedding there, but you had to rent the vineyard and ranch house and a private dining room, the bill was ten thousand bucks A DAY. Hard to walk away from a cash cow like that.

Besides Lockhart might be a bit nicer, more water and all.

-Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Since you are stuck in Chicago, i'm only gonna say this once [emoji14]... barbacoa taco (the cabeza de vaca kind) and Big Red ...
    We need to make a trip to Salt Lick before it gets hot.

The best barbecue on the planet comes from Texas, full stop. There is no argument about this, there can be no argument about this, it is a fact. If you attempt to argue this your right to the best barbecue on the planet will be forever revoked. All others are imitators, some may be of high caliber, but they are imitators.
    Negative on that. All you need to know is: inside white meat pulled. And North Carolina...Eastern North Carolina.

Nothing, nothing, will ever compare to the barbecoa my great grandfather used to cook in south Texas. I was knee-high to a grasshopper the first time I helped him dig a pit to roast a goat in. If I had some land I'd go out back right now and start digging a pit. We dug the pit, built a bed of stone and then started to burn mesquite in it. Once a good, hot bed of coals was going, it was add some wood to burn more, then toss a thin layer of dirt on top and put the meat on it. He put chili powder and salt on the meat, spritzed a little water to get a steam going, then buried the whole thing, careful to make an inlet for fresh air and a chimney for exhaust. We let it cook a whole day, I remember standing out by it the next morning, it smelled so good you wanted to dig it up and eat it on the spot. ~Err...sorry I got a lot lost in the memory there, it's snowing outside and I am recalling a hot summer day in Texas with a lot of good food.~

Someday, I'm gonna open a restaurant that only makes BBQ the way my grandparents and great grandparents made it...After you eat a killer meal, you can go out back to the shooting range and bust some caps or peruse some guns. Then head over to the distillery and have some freshly distilled (or aged) spirits, before you go over to the hand-rolled cigar station for a fresh cigar. I'm gonna call it "Rob's Barbecue, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Ranch". Everyone is invited.
    I miss cabrito.

On Sunday's after Mass, my grandfather would give the ranchhands the afternoon off. They would roast a goat over a pit full of mesquite, and my grandmother would make fresh tortillas and frijoles.

I was a 7-year-old sitting on the porch of the bunkhouse, eating tacos while the hands played guitar and drank cerveza. They would eat, sing and drink, and then teach me how to ride horses.

I miss our old place something fierce.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I miss cabrito.

On Sunday's after Mass, my grandfather would give the ranchhands the afternoon off. They would roast a goat over a pit full of mesquite, and my grandmother would make fresh tortillas and frijoles.

I was a 7-year-old sitting on the porch of the bunkhouse, eating tacos while the hands played guitar and drank cerveza. They would eat, sing and drink, and then teach me how to ride horses.

I miss our old place something fierce.
    Enjoyed that read.
    #RESIST

May I humbly suggest a modification?
    I'm gonna call it "Rob's Barbecue, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Emporium".
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Negative on that. All you need to know is: inside white meat pulled. And North Carolina...Eastern North Carolina.
    Ohhh yeah.

My family's from Eastern NC. I've made my fair share of ENC BBQ.

If you can't make your own sauce, get Scott's. It's "the best ye ever tasted".

Chris

I just ate an hour ago at what used to be called Oklahoma Joe's. I travel to Texas a lot, and eat que there regularly. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List