Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canyon Creek 4P XDM 5.25 9mm

Canyon Creek 4P XDM 5.25 9mm

I decided to get a Canyon Creek 4P 5.25 inch XDM 9mm to mess around with for the following reasons:

1) it seems like almost everyone else around here is shooting one in Production.

2) Robbie Leatham shoots one well, and designed it for USPSA.

3) it points more conventionally than a Glock, and can have a better trigger.

4) I have no XD experience, aside from a bit with an XD .45 about ten years ago.

5) there is enough XD hate around, that I thought it would be fun to see for myself.

The XDM arrived, Production ready with a Dawson FO front sight, black adjustable rear sight, texture on the grip, and an outstanding trigger. I shot it for the first time today, in a 350 round session.

Here is the bad. I had a stoppage on round three. I also had one round that wouldn't chamber, with the slide out of battery, and unable to go into battery, apparently the cartridge was mis-sized. Not sure if the initial issue was break-in, as it ran otherwise, excepting the apparently defective cartridge. My 25 yards groups were somewhat larger than what I expect with the Glock 17/34. Could be real, could be my familiarity, could be ammo choice.

Here is the good. This pistol handled like a hybrid of the two pistols I shoot best, the Glock 34 and Mink'd SP01. It was just crazy easy to shoot well. Bill drills at 7 and 25, Garcia dot drills, shots to the 3x5, steel, 35 yard steel, one shot draws, and transitions. We had a target array set up, consisting of an eight inch steel at 8, three more at 12 yards, and three at 21 yards. I had a 3.44 clean run for the seven targets which is a def PR. For a draw to two targets at eight yards, four A zone hits, I was seeing 1.55-1.60 for 4A's or a 3A/1C run. The common denominator to the good results was very fast transitions with this pistol, which I attribute to its relatively light weight, but a very light, short trigger with some roll that lends itself to stop/aim/jerk.

I really liked the adjustable rear sight, and it was a delight to fine tune elevation and windage, using just a Leatherman. The slide stop is in a good place. I had no problems with the grip safety shooting, and liked that it was essentially auto Gadget when holstering. The metal mags dropped cleanly.

My wife who believes Glock is the answer to everything in a handgun, also shot it. She said "let me shoot" one mag, and then a number of mags later, I had to pry it out of her hands. She said that she felt like she could shoot it better than her 34 with a good Vanek trigger. Her opinion was I was shooting it better than the 34, and probably the CZ, despite it being the first time I shot it.

There you go, XD haters.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

So I must ask....

Are you shooting this next week?

That is pretty cool, GJM. Very interested to continue to hear about it as you spend some time with this gun. I've not really loved the XD, but that's probably mostly the common bias against them talking. I have to say that every one I've ever dry fired has had quite a good trigger, and those are regular XDs, not the M.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

The XDM pistols I have played with where all easibly shootable. The people I know who shoot them have had no issues that I am aware of. The XDM trigger can be easily tuned to scary light levels. I know a guy who has a Production and Limited setup with better triggers than any SPO1 Shadow I have shot. I have never understood why some people hate them so much.

Site Supporter
    Something Something....stupid grip safety...otherwise the XD isn't as bad as some think. I just never saw the need for me to have one. But a local M class shooter I know seems to like his. As far as an easy to use gun set up for production you could do worse.

I'd take a used XD over a new Taurus.

Tom, even though this pistol is for USPSA and not surviving a dynamic encounter on the street or in the food court, I went basic black for my XDM. It may soon have a twin though, as my wife wants one. She is Glock-centric to the core, but grudgingly admits the 5.25 is easier to shoot than her 34's.

In the old days, I think it was a toss up whether Todd disliked the XD or 1911 more. Maybe I should try to snag him one as a back up to his Commander. You know, 1911 like trigger and grip angle.

You oughta cerakote it orange.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

XDM's don't get enough love. I have one from Springer Precision www.springerprecision.com The slide sits right on top of your hand and the recoil is very flat. The trigger on mine, as tuned by Springer, is about 2.75# and has a rolling break that is the hands down best trigger ever. Match barrel mine shoots groups on top of each other at 25 yards. As for the grip safety...um, it's under the hand...and it's impossible to not deactivated it if your holding it in your hand...and if that's still a problem put a rubber band around it, or tape it down...
    A71593

Site Supporter
    I got to play with a #GripZoneTM Mod 2 mk. IV at the fun shop. Kinda cheesy and I probably wouldn't shell out extra bucks for it. The XDs 4.0 however....now that looks interesting.

That is it. There is a vid online that explains the twisting motion you do.

It is extremely effective.

User Tag List