Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking fo a good Quality headlamp

Looking fo a good Quality headlamp

I have zero experience with head lamps and would like to purchase one. My uses would be night time yard work and a SHTF headlamp. I would like to wear it on my bare head and in the winter over a hat. I'd prefer CR 123 batteries. I would like to be able to use the lamp for night time navigation and also have low lumen setting for longer runtime, mabye 10 lumens. You would be surprised how bright 10 lumens is in pitch black night. Also I have seen some models that a horizontally rotating bezel to adjust the direction of the beam.
    Any advise?

A friend gave me the Streamlight model and I like it a lot. I would buy it if it were lost/stolen. I use it pretty often around home. I like the knob on the SF but the cost...

Fenix is a company I would look into as well. Very reputable among the flashlight enthusiasts.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I have used Petzls for years doing cave excavations and camping in all weather. Inexpensive, multiple modes, only thing is they run on AAs not CR123s. Best headlamps out there, in my opinion. I have tried others from Fenix, Browning, Eveready, etc. Petzls are the best.

A while back I splurged and bought a SF Minimus headlamp. It's a very nice piece of kit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Bob it seems like you have extensive experience with head lamps. What specific model would you recommend?

Get a Petzl. I had the same one for 2 deployments to Iraq. When I got home, I lost it on a hunt. It sat by the tree I lost it at for an entire year, enduring rain, snow, frost, summer sun, & any other weather that occurred that year. Found it by chance, picked it up & I'll be damned if it didn't turn right on. They are great lights.

I've had 3-4 Princeton-Tec's that have had batteries puke in them. Is this typical?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I've had 3-4 Princeton-Tec's that have had batteries puke in them. Is this typical?
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-pri-hyb123-mpls.html
    Thanks I was thinking about this model.

When I get home I'll post what I have. It's the brightest light I've ever seen on a headlamp. It's rechargable, you can change the brightness with a roller switch, and battery life is AWESOME.

I'll also get some pics/video tonight in the dark.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I've only used it for a couple of Midnight 3 Gun Matches and a bit of night-time bicycling, but I've been happy with my Black Diamond Storm, however it doesn't use 123s.

Petzl does appear to be the gold standard in headlamps.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List