Thread: Using Knife to Protect Gun: Thoughts & Experiences ?

Using Knife to Protect Gun: Thoughts & Experiences ?

Please pardon me if this has been discussed. I tried several searches, but came up with a ton of unrelated threads. I'd like to hear from those who have used a knife to protect their gun from someone trying to grab it. Also, would like to hear from those who have drilled for this in training classes. What did you learn from your experiences? How have your blade choices and tactics been impacted & improved upon? Are your experiences applicable for civilian concealed carry ? Thank you -

That entire body of research has been heavily worked over at the TPI site. There is a reason Southnarc and many of the guys over there prefer center line small fixed blade knife carry.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    That entire body of research has been heavily worked over at the TPI site. There is a reason Southnarc and many of the guys over there prefer center line small fixed blade knife carry.
    Thank you Chuck, I'll check out that site.

After doing some informal experimentation on this, I found that a small fixed blade usually worked best for me. I went with the HK PLAN D manufactured by Benchmade in the USA.
    It's in N680 steel - extremely corrosion resistant - on the order of Spyderco H1. I usually carry a SAK and a small folder for utility chores. The HK is only carried for defensive use. It's never used for utility chores so is always extremely sharp.
    I have numerous knives, including customs. But, the HK is very modest in price & I'm confident it is up to the task for which it is designed.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 01-25-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Think about a knife as augmentation to solid weapons retention strategy and not the solution itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Think about a knife as augmentation to solid weapons retention strategy and not the solution itself.
    Very much ^this^
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List