Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911's Dan Wesson vs STI

Site Supporter

9mm 1911's Dan Wesson vs STI

I'm looking at picking up a "mid-level "5 inch 1911 for range use, gun games and just general recreational fun shooting.

I've been looking at the Dan Wesson PM-9, the STI sentry and the Springfield range officer.

The Dan Wesson and the Sentry both seem a little more refined than the range officer, as reflected in their price, $1400 ish vs $800 ish.

I had considered the STI Trojan and Spartan but the Spartan is being discontinued and the Sentry is only a little bit more than the Trojan. I prefer the checkering and forged frame to the STI scalloping.

The STI and Dan Wesson both have good triggers, and checkering out of the box, 30 LPI on the STI and 25 LPI on the DW.

Does anyone have experience with either of these models? Also, does anyone have experience with STI's recoil master recoil spring system?

The range officer is tempting, but almost every range officer 9 mm I've handled has hung up on the disconnector one the slide is released, requiring a trip to the gunsmith for a Marvel cut.

Thanks

I've been looking at these too. The Trojan seems like a better buy over the sentry though as it has a higher cut in the frame to allow your hand to sit higher. Plus, Dawson has an enhancement package where they tune it all up first.

The Range Master is also an option. Full dust cover and bull barrell. Or an Edge with all that and a 2011 frame.

My concern is reliability. I don't want to spend 1-2k and then have to mess with it to get it to work.

Here's a thought from left field $600 price difference buys a decent amount of working over by a "smith" or the Springfield Custom Shop if your $800 Springer doesn't perform to your expectations. I'll caveat that by saying that while I love Colts, I'm perfectly happy with my SA guns.

Site Supporter
    I have an MC operator which has been awesome since it came out of the box. However, Springfields have been a little hit and miss, even with custom shop guns. A range officer and a trip to alchemy customs is certainly a possibility, it's just that every 9mm range officer I've handled has had that disconnector drag. It's not an auspicious beginning.

My small time review of a 9x19 RO is here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-Officer-9x19. I generally agree that especially for a range toy it seems wiser to spend less unless you're really going to kick out the jams in Berryville. The RO had minor issues, they got fixed, it's a fine gun for what it's for.

Quote from Long time IDPA Match Director in PA: "The only 1911 brand that I never saw have a malfunction were the Dan Wesson's."
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Quote from Long time IDPA Match Director in PA: "The only 1911 brand that I never saw have a malfunction were the Dan Wesson's."
    Cody
    ...and Glocks are perfect.

I have a Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP and a Springfield Loaded 9mm. Both are reliable but I would give the edge to the DW in the fit, finish, and quality of parts.

The comparison is really apples to oranges. The RO and the PM9 are on different levels price wise and for very good reasons. The PM9 has a better fit and finish, and trigger group, and has frontstrap checkering.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pew_pew View Post
    My concern is reliability. I don't want to spend 1-2k and then have to mess with it to get it to work.
    Was going to insert snark about 1911s, before realizing I own a 1911.

Joking aside, I recommend learning how to maintain your pistol, 1911 or not, something will break if you use it correctly (read: shooting thousands of rounds through it)

Don't forget, there are several 5" 9mm 1911 offerings from Colt out this year. The standard Gov't model is available now for around $850.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Don't forget, there are several 5" 9mm 1911 offerings from Colt out this year. The standard Gov't model is available now for around $850.
    That would be the 1992. Are they doing a 5" XSE ? I heard yes, then no, 1992 and XSE commander only.

User Tag List