Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gen 1 or 2 Glock 21, issues?

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Check the trigger bar , if it's an older one I would replace it with the current one 4256-3 iirc. Light strikes were more common with the older ones.
    While I also had my OEM triggerbar replaced back around 2006 when the light strike issue first raised its head, I think that the issue was overstated-as I recall, the primary LEO complaining was LAPD, and a significant causal factor was that back in the day they felt it was acceptable/necessary to liberally oil the striker/striker channel. The oil would serve as a grunge attractant, gum up/varnish, and inhibit the firing pin/striker's path and impact force on a cartridge primer. The revised triggerbar, which was quickly standardized by Glock, featured a revised geometry which delivered more force. Glock Training also deployed in force to LAPD, where individual officer's G21s were individually inspected, had the triggerbar replaced, underwent a certification firing, and were issued a certification slip, enabling the G21s to be allowed back on duty.

It's my impression that LAPD felt the necessity to lubricate the firing pin/channel was derived from the lubrication protocol of the Beretta 92, which was the specified/default LAPD issue gun at the time. The G21 was the most chosen Glock (by a huge majority) of the allowable Glock selection palette by LAPD officers wishing to go the Glock route as their duty firearm; hence the perception that it was a "G21 problem."

It's hard to sort out whether it really was a problem or not, and what the true causal factor(s) were. The Glock LEO Area (and later the overall Regional) Rep (who was a personal friend as well) personally told me that the felt that the original triggerbar was just fine, and that the issue was overblown. Nevertheless, I chose to have him replace mine (there was no degradation in trigger feel, at least in my sample size of one G21), and I figured the additional firing pin force wasn't a bad thing (although I'd had absolutely zero issues with the OEM triggebar). It's also interesting to note that Glock did standardize the replacement/improved triggerbar shortly afterwords...

Best, Jon

Thanks for the information, Jon

I always clean the firing pin channels in all my guns, and then run them dry. I don't know who teaches to run them wet, for the reason you posted.

Lubed firing pin channels are a problem. Nonetheless I've seen enough older G21's that stopped light striking when I changed the trigger bar that I can see no down side in recommending it.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

I always clean the firing pin channels in all my guns, and then run them dry. I don't know who teaches to run them wet, for the reason you posted.
    I've seen more than a few used Glocks of all calibers with tons of heavy oil in the striker channel. The only thing that can be said in favor of the practice is that it leads to cheap used Glocks on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

It was part of the Beretta lubrication protocol (at least at the time) that the firing pin/firing pin channel be lubricated by applying oil to the firing pin hole at the breechface, and to the back of the firing pin at the back of the slide. It probably was only a drop in each location, but the best laid plans of mice an men....The Beretta 92 was the dominant issue gun of the LAPD (and may others) in the '80s, 90s, and later. Select Glocks initially were an allowable alternative selection in LAPD; I believe that they're now the default issue gun-perhaps someone with closer LAPD affiliations can verify. Despite Glock's explicit prohibition against lubricating the striker/firing pin/channel, it doesn't particularly surprise me that individual/organizations with accumulated time/muscle memory on another platform's protocols would collide with the expectant results on "the new kid on the block."

And, FWIW, on my personal Beretta 92D, I lubricate the firing pin areas with Dri-Slide, a dry-film anti-corrosive/lubricant that initially is applied via a liquid carrier solution; the liquid evaporates, leaving a dry film of the lubricant on the intended areas (nicely spread by capillary action) which does not attract dirt, dust, GSR residue.

Best, Jon

User Tag List